"Bad baby! Bad Baby!" said the CNM. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 12-08-2006, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... as she was doing a quick u/s on my client to determine the baby's position (still transverse). Okay, I know I spend a lot of time on MDC and we tend to take things very seriously/literally here, but GAH. Calling a baby BAD because it's transverse?!?!?!?! Are you freaking KIDDING ME?!?!?!?! I just cannot believe anyone would refer to... that just left SUCH a bad taste in my mouth. So unprofessional. So... RUDE!

This CNM is the "most" midwife-like in our entire town, from all the ones I've worked with. I have actually RECOMMENDED her to clients who don't know who to see!

Client is probably going to schedule a c-s. CNM tried to get her to schedule it because "if she waits, the schedule will fill up and there won't be anyone to do the surgery." CNM wants to do it a week before the edd. Le sigh.

"BAD CNM! BAD CNM!"

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 12-08-2006, 04:33 PM

Ya my US tech said that with DS1 because he had his chin tucked into his chest and she needed to look at his head better "Bad baby, quit being a little bugger and move your head" WTF is up with them?
#3 of 16 Old 12-08-2006, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
talk to the midwife she probably is doing it unconciously --
so what weeks is this gal and where is the placenta? why is the baby transverse? --- what I did for a couple of grand multips was belly binding makes a funnel for the baby and it uncomfortable for the baby to be laying side to side-

-------------------------------------------

#4 of 16 Old 12-08-2006, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

She's 37.5 and the mw didn't say anything about the placenta or why the baby is transverse. Her last baby was ROA and a little transverse until just before birth -- needed a vacuum extraction. Anyway, I've discussed the risks of c-s, the possibility the baby will turn, etc, and I just have to leave it in her hands.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#5 of 16 Old 12-08-2006, 06:00 PM

I hear nurses say things like this at hospital births all the time. Usually it's when a baby is showing some distress-lots of talk of "naughty baby". Long labors are "stubborn babies, going to give mom lots of problems later".

It irritates me most when the nurses say that kind of thing while caring for newborns. Nothing like suggesting to a new mom, who just had had a challenging labor, that her naughty baby caused suffering/stress/pain/etc. :

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#6 of 16 Old 12-08-2006, 09:59 PM

as her doula you could try tying a single sheet around her just to see- it isn't invasive ... just a thought you fold a single bed sheet long wise 1/2 and then 1/2 again then have her lay on her side on it as it is laying across a bed it should touch the tops of her hip bones and just put it on her like an apron basically - snug it up it usually feels good and re-distributes the weight so her back won't hurt as much.
#7 of 16 Old 12-08-2006, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mwherbs. I will try that, and also a position I saw on gentlebirth.org archives. She's calling her dh tonight in Iraq to discuss the situation, but I'm really resigning myself for a section.

treehugger.gif Erika
#8 of 16 Old 12-08-2006, 10:07 PM

I think there are some good suggestions at spinningbabies.com for transverse babies too. Good luck for you and your client.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 birth doula since 2006
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 of 16 Old 12-09-2006, 12:19 AM

I'm way outta my league here, but I read online a while back a midwife's account of craniosacral therapy being used to turn a posterior baby. I imagine it could help a transverse baby as well. CST is a light touch therapy ... it is not invasive or painful.

You can read more about CST at this site, and also search for a practitioner (I take my dd to a massage therapist who specializes in CST ... it's $30/session for a child, $60/session for an adult). If interested, IMO the more training someone has, the better (when you search for practitioners, you can see the courses they've taken). Obviously, you would want to ask if they've done this type of work before. Good luck!

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#10 of 16 Old 12-09-2006, 12:59 AM

I know it is a serious thing, and yes she acted disprespectfully but I have to chuckle at your wording here le sigh. So true, I sympathize..
#11 of 16 Old 12-09-2006, 02:04 AM

in re-looking at what I wrote probably not the best description-
what I meant is that the bottom edge is at about the tops of her hip bones- and then the rest of the sheet is upward toward the belly button-- sort of ends up working like this-- only I think it works better and is cheaper
http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products...teID=210054843
#12 of 16 Old 12-09-2006, 05:44 AM

you know, i think i've used "naughty baby" a couple times. but, i said it in a loving way. in fact, we use that phrase all the time for our dear beloved clementine...but i don't really believe that babies can be "naughty".
#13 of 16 Old 12-09-2006, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I know it can be used jokingly or non-consciously but I just really got a bad vibe when she said it, and she said it like three times. Client is already facing being a single mom with a dh in Iraq, no family support, and I just hate to hear that on top of all the stuff she's dealing with, she had a "bad baby."

treehugger.gif Erika
#14 of 16 Old 12-10-2006, 01:51 AM

Ooo, that sucks. I hate how much babies get labelled as "good" or "bad", "stubborn", "easy", etc, etc - they're BABIES. And yea, they have personalities all their own, but geez... And this poor kiddo isn't even out before getting labelled and judged, for something not even hir "fault" at that.

Bad CNM indeed!
#15 of 16 Old 12-10-2006, 01:59 AM

Poor mama. I second the idea to talk to the CNM. She probably doesn't realize she's doing it. Is she at all approachable?
#16 of 16 Old 12-11-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
I'm way outta my league here, but I read online a while back a midwife's account of craniosacral therapy being used to turn a posterior baby. I imagine it could help a transverse baby as well. CST is a light touch therapy ... it is not invasive or painful.

You can read more about CST at this site, and also search for a practitioner (I take my dd to a massage therapist who specializes in CST ... it's $30/session for a child, $60/session for an adult). If interested, IMO the more training someone has, the better (when you search for practitioners, you can see the courses they've taken). Obviously, you would want to ask if they've done this type of work before. Good luck!

Big difference between transverse and posterior though. Transverse means a a 90 degree flip, not a rotation.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page