Have you ever used herbs to induce a late period: cross posted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone used herbs to induce a late period?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me start by saying I am not pregnant (negative test), but I am a week late. I liken this to the fact that I'm a doula, and it has really whacked out my cycles (I often start bleeding at births, I ovulate out of the blue...no rhyme no reason...totally affected by those birthin' mamas!)! However, I'm bloated and crabby and can't take another day of this horrible PMS but no blood!

I've read a lot about parsley and ginger and even vitamin C. Has anyone ever used herbs to induce a late period. If so, what did you use and was it successful?

And...maybe I'll cross post this at the doula board...any good ideas on energy protection so I'm not so affected?

Abby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 07:20 PM

I just went through this, my last cycle was 67 days long and I KNEW I wasn't pregnant, negative tests and just knowing my body. I took Pulsatilla, a homeopathic you can get at a health food store. It is indicated for a late period (especially one brought on by a pregnancy 'scare' or weak periods as well as a host of other non-related symptoms. I took one dose and started my period that night. I don't know that it works that quickly with everyone but it did for me... thank goodness, waiting is the pits!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#3 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 PM

I would try the cohoshes if you want to do herbs. They are relatively safe and used for moms in late pg to induce labor *if the mom is ready*, that is they are not overly forceful in their action, just give a little prompt if the body is ready... Blue and Black Cohosh, get tincture of each and alternate dropperfuls (30 drops) every few hours. Helps if you have a MW or herbalist who knows you and can work with you face to face... Read Susun Weed on this.

As for not being too affected by births, well, I hope you never lose that quality! True they are not your births and you can't take care of everything and everyone, must have boundaries and take care of yourself,but to feel so deeply makes a better doula IMO. I feel it bodily too, but not in unpleasant ways. I do keep a ritual table in my room and center myself before heading out, so that I can do the work I am meant to do to to the benefit of all, including me! Maybe some meditation on that?
#4 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 08:43 PM

I'd try acupressure/acupuncture before herbs, but that's just my preference. I've had luck with the point on the fleshy part between your thumb and forefinger (ho-ku?).
#5 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 09:02 PM

Is there a problem with having wacked out cycles? I wouldn't try to induce a period for no reason. You are late because you either haven't ovulated yet or not enough time has lapsed since you ovulated. I see no advantage to inducing a period. Your body just isn't to that point.
I think instead of fending off the affect of working with women get used to it, embrace it for what it is. JMO

Sorry about the PMS. Maybe that would be a better thing to attack with nutrition, herbs, and energy rather than the period itself.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#6 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Laura,

I see your point. Thanks

Abby
#7 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 09:47 PM

I would agree with Laura, but as for PMS, I have had good luck with taking 500mg magnesium, 1000mg calcium after I ovulate (or think I do) - it also helps me with my supply not dropping through the floor as well. Since I have my encapsulated placenta still from our youngest I just take two capsules of that when my period starts (or I feel like it is) and it helps tremendoulsy, but that's probably not an option for you. :grin:

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#8 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 10:37 PM

I agree with Laura. In addition to the calcium and magnesium that BirthFree recommended, vitamin E can help with PMS symptoms...
#9 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
warming things-- I would start with accupressure too- and moxia
red raspberry leaf tea- 1 oz of herb to a quart of hot water let steep covered for 1 hr at least or maybe over night- then drink through the day- you could mix this with other herbs for taste or drink alone
some women like to use chamomile tea for a missed period- depends on if you have been very stressed and need a bit of nerve tonic---

ginger cookies or ginger bread, gingerbrew, ginger candy-- I would recommend this to a pregnant gal in early pregnancy or for a late coming period increase blood flow and warms the inards and is anti-inflammatory.

b vitamins and magnesium- have you been eating enough? and are you anemic?

get Rosemary Gladstar's herbal-- Herbal Healing for Women, simple remedies for women of all ages-- I have over 100 herbal and natural healing books and this is one of the ones I turn to often-- and will be sure that my girls have a copy of their own--
#10 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BMamaof3 View Post
Anyone used herbs to induce a late period?
Let me start by saying I am not pregnant (negative test), but I am a week late. I liken this to the fact that I'm a doula, and it has really whacked out my cycles (I often start bleeding at births, I ovulate out of the blue...no rhyme no reason...totally affected by those birthin' mamas!)! However, I'm bloated and crabby and can't take another day of this horrible PMS but no blood!
Abby
What about late ovulation? And the possibility that you might be pg, but the test hasn't picked up enough HCG yet? I was never, in 3 full-term pg, and 6 miscarriages, able to get a test to show positive before 2 full weeks after my period was missed. As a matter of fact, the 3rd mc, I waited til 12 weeks, to take the test, just to be sure I was pregnant, it showed up positive fast, and I lost the baby the following week. So, you MIGHT be pg...so just in case of that, I never induced a period....If you aren't charting your cycles, might be a good time to start, since being a busy doula might wack out your cycles even more!
#11 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
that is why I recommend gentle things because if there is the slightest chance of pregnancy best to be conservative.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page