I'm quite new here, but I have a question I can't seem to get answered by reading through the archives...
I've got a low-lying placenta at 32 weeks and am booked for another scan after Christmas. The doctor who did the scan told me there would likely be regular scans from now on until it either moves or a c-section is scheduled. (I'm planning a homebirth, so this is a bit disheartening.) But then he also mentioned internal exams might be done as well.
Isn't this contraindicated with placenta previa?? When I phoned my midwife after the scan to give her the update, she positively freaked out that the doctor would even suggest an internal exam with placenta previa.
Is an internal exam a risk in this situation? Also, how long could I hold off on scheduling a c-section, assuming it stays too near the os? I'm going to ask them to give me a real measurement at the next scan of how close the placenta is to the os, but if at all possible, I'd like to go ahead with a natural birth, even if it must be in hospital.
Any advice? Thanks.