Mothering Forum banner

aviva jill romm's distance learning course

11K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  phathui5 
#1 ·
I have a brochure for Aviva Jill Romm's distance learning course on women's herbal medicine. She has two, one is a certified women's herbalist and the other is a certified women's herbal educator. I was wondering if anyone has done either of these and what you opinions are. I'm really interested it but I can't find any information besides the one brochure I have. Thanks so much

#6 ·
I haven't taken any of her classes- but have her books and have some of her lectures from some conferences-- I think I have some parts of a text to a class she was offering-- I'll do a web search and ask around - it may be that she intended to offer it or did for a time and then stopped-- Rosemary Gladstar has some distance ed stuff- I have a preference for life-time learning so have sampled what I could afford of everyone...
right now am considering the distance stuff that Michael Moore is offering -- I have his mp3s on plants and they are excellent--- Paul Bergner also has a distance class on herbs in general-- I have seen Demetria on line but haven't taken her course...
there are also several taped lectures by herbalist midwives from different conferences Midwifery today- has some Mary Bove , Jill , Tori Hudson, Chanchal-- there is also the procedings from the SW botanical medicine conferences- tori hudson and Molly Linton lectures on women's health and herbs

ok I located a smidge of info about Jill's classes they are mentioned on the MEAC web page-- with her email address for contact
http://www.meacschools.org/approved_courses.php

#7 ·
Aviva is awesome! I have taken several classes with her at various herb gatherings over the years. I have to say she is one of my favorite teachers. I have just enrolled in her distance course, and I'm super psyched about it. I am doing the certified women's herbal educator option. I have done Rosemary's distance course, too, and just finished up an advanced herbal training program at Rosemary's place in VT. She is revising her correspondence course, and I would personally wait a little while til she's done revising it (Rosemary, that is). The current one is great, but imo a bit outdated. Tiearona LowDog also has a really great correspondence course. Michael Moore has recently suffered some serious health challenges. He's been in intensive care for heart surgery, a pacemaker, and is now on dialysis. There is a fundraising campaign within the herbal community right now to help raise money for him to complete the compilation of his entire teaching materials into digital format, since his health troubles have cost so much $. He is a great wealth of information. You can learn more about his situation at www.herbological.com/herblog/michaelmoore/
Back to Aviva---if you email her she will send you a complete program description, with all the great details. She definitely is still offering it, and I believe is offering some sort of holiday discount til the end of January! I think the previous post has a link, or you can pm me for her email add.

#8 ·
a little unrelated, but Emma, do you happen to know if Aviva is still in medical school???

Last I heard she was going to medical school (I think for OB/GYN), and I am curious to hear how that is going...

#9 ·
I too have a couple of Aviva's books, and have taken seminars with her, had the pleasure of also going to lunch with her one day and meeting her on that level as well... she is a wonderful woman, very open and loving both to her family and her passion in her work. She is, in a word, brilliant. her vaccination book stands on my shelf as the one and only balanced, well-researched, and as un-biased as possible work on the subject, and I had read about 13 other books in that field by the time I discovered hers. Her knowledge comes from formal training and life, and she gives value to both. Plus, she is a midwife and mother of 4, such a wealth of knowledge there, and she is very good at sharing it, a great teacher.

I would take any course with her without hesitation, she is fantastic!

#10 ·
Lennon,
Yes, she's in med school, at Yale. I think her goal is to somehow work in the medical world as a bridge between that world and the holistic world of herbalism and midwifery. That is why I'm taking her course, because she does such a great job of incorporating "medical, science-type stuff with the holistic and down to earth sensitivity of true herbalism.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WildNettle View Post
Lennon,
Yes, she's in med school, at Yale. I think her goal is to somehow work in the medical world as a bridge between that world and the holistic world of herbalism and midwifery. That is why I'm taking her course, because she does such a great job of incorporating "medical, science-type stuff with the holistic and down to earth sensitivity of true herbalism.
I know that she had teamed up with Tieraona Low Dog to do a study or atleast a survey of herbs used by midwives. - Tieraona is an MD

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
I know that she had teamed up with Tieraona Low Dog to do a study or atleast a survey of herbs used by midwives. - Tieraona is an MD
Yes, they did a study on the use of blue cohosh during labor, and its effects on fetal heart rate. Not sure the outcome of the study, but last I saw, it indicated that use of blue cohosh might cause increase in fetal heart rate during labor and after birth.

I think Aviva is in her forties maybe?

#16 ·
humm don't know about just blue cohosh- the info I filled out was more of a general review.. like what herbs I have used for women- what do I generally recommend- do I use informed choice- am I aware of any controversy involving herbs- there may have been a focused question or 2 on blue cohosh... Haven't read any published study/summation though.
there was that 1 case report in Wa- that turned into 2 different case reports-- and I think sometime in the 60's there was a different case report on blue cohosh- where they did a lab study and found - cocaine like substance/compound---(my best guess was someone smuggled cocaine in a shipment of herbs) anyhow -- Dr Low Dog works out of the University of Arizona and works for the NIH -- she did a presentation on herbs for/during lactation for the local lactation consultant group- I got an invite from a LC I know excellent presentation.
Anyhow I was glad they were doing a review of what we use and how we use it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.