What did you pay for a midwife to attend your birth? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What did you pay for a midwife to attend your birth?
under $500 1 1.00%
$501 to $1000 10 10.00%
$1001 to $1500 15 15.00%
$1501 to $2000 19 19.00%
$2001 and higher 32 32.00%
nothing, insurance paid it 23 23.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 05-04-2003, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

Just curious what you paid for midwifery services? I paid $2000 (no insurance coverage) for a team of 2 midwives for the birth and 4 post-natal visits. Pre-natal visits were $40 each. I live in Hawaii.
#2 of 31 Old 05-05-2003, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My Father was born in 1914, and the midwife was paid with a loaf of bread.

All of my children were born at home.

In 1980, I had a doctor/midwife homebirth delivery service and I paid $850.00 for the entire prenatal, birth, and six week check.

In 1983, I had insurance. I went to the same doctor/midwife delivery service and the complete charge was $1,200.00 for the prenatal, birth, and six week check. The insurance was $250.00 deductible and then 80/20 after that. (Travelers)

In 1985, I the doctor died. I went to the same midwife and the charge was $1,500.00 for prenatal, birth, and six week check.

In 1992, the same midwife charged $2,000.00 for prenatal, birth, and six week check.

All lab charges were extra, chiropractic visits were extra, the birth kit was extra, as were the pediatric well baby visits.

I loved it and would have it no other way.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#3 of 31 Old 05-05-2003, 10:44 AM

I lived in Alberta when Soleil was born, midwifery was not covered there and would have cost 2500$, which we could not afford. This time, we are in Ontario, and our health insurance covers it! YAY!

Mamasoleil
#4 of 31 Old 05-07-2003, 09:10 AM

I do not have health insurance, so we had the pay the entire fee on our own. It was $3500 total. That includes prenatal care, L/D, and postpartum for 6 weeks or longer if I need it. Labs, birth kit, etc., are all extra. We bought our own birthing pool too.
We were only able to afford it b/c DH got a nice bonus at work.

If I am transferred out of her care before I go into labor, we get some of our fee back, pro-rated or whatever that's called. If I am already in labor, we're S.O.L.
#5 of 31 Old 05-07-2003, 05:45 PM

In 2000/01, I think we paid $1100 for six months of pre-natal visits, the birth attendance and one post natal visit (it was suppose to be two post-natals, but we both got really busy around the time of the 6 week check-up and it went to the wayside. It was my second child, so I was not that concerned). We purchased about another $50 worth of "birthing supplies" from a list she gave us (piddle pads, gauze, oil, etc.), so in all we were charged less than $1200. My midwife had a sliding scale at the time, and we were short of funds. She now charges a flat $1800 (I think) per birth with everything listed above included.

All that said, my insurance (BC/BS) was SUPPOSE to pay for the birth. They assured me during the pregnancy that homebirth was covered and there would be no problems filing an insurqance claim. They backed out after the birth and refused to pay. So, we had to pay out of pocket. She was gracious about it and gave us ample time to come up with the money (thank you tax return )

Edited to add: my insurance paid for an OB/GYN consult and ultrsound when we thought I might be having twins, so that was an additional cost above her fees. But since insurance covered it, I don't know how much it cost off hand.

Also, in 1995 when my older son was born we paid $2000 for the entire birth ($1000 for the pre-natal, delivery and post natal visit with CNM, $1000 for the hospital stay). We started out with no insurance, but got insurance part way through the pregnancy, so we ended up only paying for the visits that were pre-insurance. The rest of the pre-natal visits and the hospital stay were covered by our insurance.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#6 of 31 Old 05-08-2003, 07:03 AM

When ds2 was born at home my midwife charged a thousand dollars- she let us pay her a hundred bucks a month during the pregnancy. She was great, too- I got a lot of intensive care the last month b/c she put me on bed rest due to hypertension and my labor wanting to jumpstart and she was bringing food, finding childcare for ds1, coming over to sternly lecture me on the importance of staying in bed and on my left side. Her support was phenomenal. She supplied us with the birthing tub, too- at no charge. (jeez- I'm thinking I need to find this lady and pay her some more) She had to leave like 20 minutes after Orion was born because she had another lady giving birth (the kid was more than crowning when she got there ) but her assistant stayed and gave support, cleaned up, generally took care of things. That was probably a night she'll remember forever- two women in the same night who went into labor and gave birth in less than 4 hours.
#7 of 31 Old 05-10-2003, 02:09 AM

My midwife charges $1500- that includes prenatals, labor & delivery and a couple postpartum visits.

Any lab work, tests or u/s have to be done at a dr. office and are separate. Oh, I had to buy my birth kit and my birthing pool.

Definitely the best money I've spent all year!
#8 of 31 Old 05-15-2003, 10:48 PM

I am going to a midwife for my 3rd (and last) child late August/early Sept and she is charging us $3200 (that is the private pay rate, if insurance is paying it is around $4000). That does not include 2 MD visits the law requires us to have. She is the only midwife in the state who has a birth center, so she can charge more and get it. But, still a heck of a lot cheaper, and MUCH more personal than a MD and hospital-which would have cost us around $6,000.
#9 of 31 Old 05-15-2003, 11:21 PM

We are in Idaho, had the same m/w for both homebirths. We pay 1,400 for the birth and postpartum care. $35 for the birth kit. Prenatals cost $30 or 35, cant remember. Our insurance doesnt cover m/w

The very first time you use her she does like you to have one Dr visit for all the lab work, course the insurance covered that.
#10 of 31 Old 05-16-2003, 08:24 PM

$1920 : prenatals, labor/delivery, checks until 6wks and birth kit

Labs, u/s, Rogham, and pku were all extra charges.

I'm in Oklahoma.

There is another mw in the area that charges about the same. I think her fees worked out to be a little more. But, after learning some scary things about the mw I used, that xtra would have been worth every penny.
#11 of 31 Old 05-18-2003, 06:08 AM

If I had gone with the CNM's that attended DD's birth it woudl have run me 3500.00 (the same as in their birthcenter - makes no sense to me sine I wasnt' using their space!)

But I hve chosen to go with a CPM for verious reasons... Her fee is a flat 1750.00 for all prenatals and 4 PP visits inculdign the birth and all newborn testing that is required by the state. I have an additional 35.00 for her "birth Kit" but outside that no additional charges. My insurance should cover 70% of out of network providers but she says aht in her dealigns with my Ins. co they usually pay all incurred costs since it is so far below this regrions reasonable and customary fees.
#12 of 31 Old 05-18-2003, 08:15 PM

My midwife's normal charge was $1200, but i didn't start seeing her until around 30 weeks, so she charged us $900. That included prenatals once a month (I had 3 with her I think), she was "on call" for me to call with questions ANY time though I only called during normal office type hours, and the whole labor and delivery services, a checkup at 3 days, and a checkup at I think 4 weeks. We provided the pool and a birth kit, and dh cooked her dinner after my dd was born.
#13 of 31 Old 05-18-2003, 10:07 PM

My midwife is a beautiful wonderful woman. She charged us "$700-$900, whatever we could afford" for the prenatals, most of which she came to my house for though I was 1 1/2 hours away, the birth and 3 or 4 postnatal visits. She was so patient on payment. This is a woman who truly loves what she does! We paid her $800 a month or two after dd was born with our income tax return. So this lovely woman did the whole thing without us paying her a single dime until over a month after it was over. I love her. I have to praise her a little. She is the only midwife in Southern Colorado it seems. She works in a 2 or more hour radius from her home in all directions. She just can't say no to a mama either. She loves her work. She is a true midwife if there ever was one.
#14 of 31 Old 05-18-2003, 10:18 PM

My first birth was attended by my GP in the hospital.
ds2 and 3 were born at home with a lay midwives, the first cost us $1200, that included all prenatal visits, l&d and 2 post. The midwife had an assistant with her, who was our Bradley Method teacher. The second home birth was with two lay midwives, cost us $1400, included all of the above, and both attended the birth. My pre and post natals were split btw them. Any outside labwork (other than the pee test) was handled by my GP or the local family planning office. My fourth birth was with a midwife in the hospital, and I have no idea how much any of it cost b/c it was completely covered by our state insurance. as was my tubal ligation
#15 of 31 Old 05-22-2003, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I didn't have a midwife, but went to visit one when I was 8 weeks pregnant with my second. Her fees were something like $2200-$2500 for the prenatal visits and birth. I assume the labs and u/s would have been extra.
#16 of 31 Old 06-15-2003, 02:30 PM

I had medical assitance when I was pg w/ my ds (2000). It covered all my midwife visits, the birth, and post-natal care.
I had my son in a birth center, underwater/waterbirth, assisted by 2 midwives. I was really surprised to discover that medical assistance would pay for all of this. And since I had medical assistance when ds was born, they also covered ds from birth to 2 years old.

I no longer have MA or any type of health insurance. We plan to have another child w/in the next couple of years. I would like to have a homebirth, as well as use a birthing tub again. I am not sure of the costs of midwives and tubs here, but I think it will be something we will end up paying out-of-pocket for...
#17 of 31 Old 06-25-2003, 04:58 PM

WOW I am amazed at the price some of you are willing to pay for a midwife $3000-$4000. You are awesome.

I am blessed with a midwife who only charges $1000. That includes prenatal, birth (with pool if desired), and 3 post-partums. She has always had 2 attendants with her. Last birth my mother actually caught the baby while my midwife was standing by.
My mother is a midwife in CO and she charges around $2000.

My insurance booklet actually has a section on homebirth. It is under the limitation and exception heading. It states, No homebirth will be covered by insurance.:
#18 of 31 Old 06-27-2003, 12:41 AM

and her fees were $1800 BUT that didn't include any labs, Rhogam, U/S, etc. (She is in with 4 OB's.) Luckily, my insurance covered $1400 of her fees. For a homebirth with the only 2 CNM that do them in KC, we would've had to pay about the same fees BUT they aren't preferred providers, we would've had to pay 50% co-insurance after our deductible.
#19 of 31 Old 07-06-2003, 03:04 AM

We paid $2500 for prenatal and the birth. Labs would have been extra, but we didn't do any. Birth kit was about $150. Very frustrating; it would have been free in the hospital or a birth center but we decided to pay for a homebirth. She decided I was too far, so I had to go to her for prenatals. She didn't show up until my son was almost an hour old and because he was already old the second attendant didn't come at all. She also never showed up for my six week appointment. For that we paid $2500, which is A LOT of money!
#20 of 31 Old 07-06-2003, 02:56 PM

Hi, Iam a longterm subscriber to Mothering Magazine but new to this site, so be gentle with me. I would like this poll made more specific, because it doesn't tell the reader what type of midwife, her geographic location,or practice site. Does the fee include labs homevisits, facility fee, and six weeks follow-up?
#21 of 31 Old 07-07-2003, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We paid $2000 for our homebirth in SC (1999) and $2800 for our last dd in Florida (2002). No insurance. Labs and such were extra.

Larissa, mom to my 3 girls (07/10), (05/02), and (09/98)
#22 of 31 Old 07-07-2003, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carey Ann Ryan CNM
Hi, Iam a longterm subscriber to Mothering Magazine but new to this site, so be gentle with me. I would like this poll made more specific, because it doesn't tell the reader what type of midwife, her geographic location,or practice site. Does the fee include labs homevisits, facility fee, and six weeks follow-up?
You only get 10 options with the Poll so it might be tricky to do that.
#23 of 31 Old 07-08-2003, 11:14 AM

This may have been mentioned, but here in Ontario, Canada our Provincial Health Care covers the entire Mid-wife care - everything - we didn't pay a dime.

And some people have the nerve to complain about our health care system. It may not be perfect, but it's pretty darn good.
#24 of 31 Old 07-08-2003, 07:47 PM

You guys are making me jealous...1000, 1500 for the whole shebang! We're paying 3600, not including the labs and things (haven't gotten the bills for that...making me nervous) It's scary because we aren't wealthy but we remortgaged the house and can squeak out 500 a month (thank goodness we have a cloth diaper stash already! )

I don't complain though because I think midwives are terrific and deserve every penny they get. I am proud to be able to support them.
#25 of 31 Old 07-11-2003, 01:55 AM

Both my midwives (one licensed, one unlicensed) charged $1500. That included the regular prenatal visits, the birth, and two postpartum visits. Lab stuff extra, but I did that only with the first, and that was covered by insurance (I was seeing an OB and then switched.)
#26 of 31 Old 08-13-2003, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carey Ann Ryan CNM
ditto!
And is that price out-of-pocket, or total including insurance coverage? Does it include lab fees, birth center, etc?

FWIW - my insurance covers midwives. It covers prenatal visits to a clinic, but not home visits. It covers births at a free-standing birth center, but not homebirths.
I am also paying for prenatal visits with my regular OB, and a copayment on all tests and such that he does.
Since I have no specific maternity benefits, I will end up paying the out-of-pocket maximum allowed on my insurance, which is $1500 out-of network, but that is only on covered expenses.
Then, you gotta also add in the cost of hiring a doula @ $400, and Bradley lessons @ $300.
#27 of 31 Old 08-17-2003, 08:48 PM

Oh my. Some of you are so lucky.
Our first dd was born at Elizabeth Seton, the freestanding birth center in NYC. (The one that is being forced to close because of insurance reasons. Grr...) And we had to pay out 1000$ for a facility fee, (our regular insurance covered the midwifes, but we have separate insurance for hospitals, and they do not cover the birth center. Only hospitals. Double Grr...) plus a couple of co-payments, and the required birthing class sessions, breastfeeding class etc. So all total it was about 1800$ dollars out of pocket. But this seemed worth it since we were getting the birth we wanted, and this covered all of our prenatal care, all of our postpartum visits (I had a few, I had some problems afterward.) and a home visit nurse. I know that Eliz. Seton's standard fee was about 7000$, and that our insurance paid 5000$, which I thought was generous since I was only there less than half of the pg.

Now with our current pg, were using a homebirth midwife in New Jersey. She does not accept insurance, so while her standard fee is 5500$ for all services, pre and postnatal, birth, and home visit, clients pay 4500$ and she bills the insurance the full amount. (Or something like that.) We pay prior to birth, and I'm praying that our insurance (same as last time) will pay us back. But none of this factors in the cost of the birth kit, the rental of the pool (which is a nessessity as far as I'm concerned), the 200$ I paid to the birthing center here in Philadelphia before switching, the co payments on labs I've had to do, and the 847$ bill I've been sacked with when my insurance refused to pay for the sonogram I required because of a pre-existing monster of a cyst that had to be checked in case it was trying to swallow the baby or something. Again, it seems worth it in the long run, but for right now it's really put a strain on our budget.
#28 of 31 Old 08-18-2003, 02:22 AM

WOW . Most of you paid next to nothing compared to the $4000. My husband and I had to pay not including labs! Thats it I'm moving to CANADA!
#29 of 31 Old 08-19-2003, 06:26 PM

$4000! ouch.
we live in ct and we paid our wonderful midwife $2500 for everything (prenatals, homevisit, a 6 week birth class, l/d, numerous phone calls and 4 postpartum visits). we also had a second midwife and an apprentice at our birth. unfortunately our insurance covered none of it (and we certainly tried) but our midwife was very patient with our slow payment plan. we feel very lucky.
#30 of 31 Old 08-20-2003, 03:30 PM

I'm from Ontario. Midwifery care is paid for by our universal health care system.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page