What did you pay for a doula to attend your baby's birth? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What did you pay for a doula to attend your baby's birth?
under $300 7 15.22%
$301 to $400 10 21.74%
$401 to $500 12 26.09%
$501 to $600 8 17.39%
$601 and higher 8 17.39%
nothing, insurance covered it 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2003, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

I paid $600 for a doula to attend our DD's birth, indluding 2 post-natal visits. I live in Hawaii.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2003, 02:41 PM

I voted 301 - 400 but I actually didn't pay anything for my doula to attend my first birth. It was a gift! However, her going rate is $300. With my 2nd, I had no money and she did it for free (she rocks!!!). My sister paid $350 for her's which included 4 pre-natal visits to make the birth plan and discuss options. My friend, Dana, paid $350 too. My sister's included 2 post-natal visits and a birth book. I think Dana got some money refunded because the doula was unable to attend the birth due to visitor restrictions at the local hospitals. She also didn't get her post-natal visits for some reason.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:05 PM

with my 1st baby, it was free (a friend) and 2 wks. ago at my dd birth, I paid 150.00 for the doula (another friend~I had charged her that much when I attended her dd birth) and 150.00 for a birth photographer. I am SO thankful I had both!

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Old 05-07-2003, 06:14 PM

I did not pay anything for my doula. She is a friend of mine who, at the time was apprenticing to be a midwife. She did not ask for anything, though I would have paid her what I could had that been the arrangement (less than $300...my midwife was only $1100 for 6 months of pre-natal care and one post natal visit). I have felt guilty ever since (3 years) because I feel like I should have done SOMETHING, but don't feel like I have a venue to address the issue and she isn't activily seeking her certification anymore.

Sorry, got kind of OT. I guess I am saying that doula services are very valuable and they should be compensated for their worth.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Old 05-07-2003, 10:54 PM

My doula was $750 - expensive but worth every penny! I put into my insurance for reimbursement and wrote them a letter, but they didn't cover it. I didn't think they would, but was hoping to begin to educate them about the benefits of doulas for women in the future!

Kristin
Mama to Aaron, 1/26/03
Old 05-10-2003, 10:23 PM

I paid $300 for my first, and for the second, I had paid half in advance ($150) -- and the birth went so quick she called it even.

This was in 1998 and 2000 -- I believe she charges over $400 now.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have never actually had a doula but I have 4 friends who are doulas and they all charge $300. That must be the going rate around here.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:58 AM

I payed $525.00 for my doula. She charges around 600-650 now. She has a lot of birth experience. Since doua's are so big here, it is normal to see between 400-500 dollars for most doulas. I personally charge $450.00 and I usually get half up front and half after. That includes 2-4 prenatals the birth and breastfeeding, sitz baths and Mothers Milk tea, and 2 postpartums or more. Plus I usually do a lot of phone work. I have a 95% natural birth "rate: if you can call it that. And I have never had a mom have a epidural or epsiotomy. And my moms don't circumcise either!!! A lot of prenatal eductation!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 05-15-2003, 02:25 AM

I paid $700 for my doula which included 2 prenatals which turned into 5, phone calls every other day, one post partum visit which ricked because she did my dishes which I know she doesn't do for everyone, but no one else was doing them and I was supposed to be with my baby, and she even came to a nurse in when i was wronged and now I watch her kids during the day and she pays me! Plus she loaned me her birth tub for free and it's the real deal with a heating element and jet stream things and her husband set it up and took it down. If it weren't for her I would never have had a homebirth. I hired her to be my hospital protector and she hooked me up with my midwives and got them to give me a discount and everything. I like to think thatshe saved me an episiotomy, pitocin, etc., a horrible experience that with my labor I would have had at the hospital, and she has turned out to be one of the best frinds I have every known. Can you tell I'm enamoured with her? She is a student midwife and she set up the doula program at the Birth Home, the free standing birth center in my area. I know she is at the top of the price charts for doulas, but subtract the tub, $300 and it's $400 and then subtract the $1000 she saved me with my midwives and it's -$300, post partum doula makes it -$400 and then now she pays me $250 a week, so I really made money off her!!! Even before I watched her kids. Anyway, i love to talk about her, i could gush for years...
Lauren
Old 05-18-2003, 07:10 AM

If I was payign her the fee woudl be 575.00 but aht includes ehr childbirth preparatin series (Imagery Birthing - a type of hypnobirthing), several prenatal consults, birth and immediate PP care as well as lactation consulting. Her PP fee is 450.00 for 20 hours.

But again - I'm not paying ehr , she is attending as a gift to me.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:56 PM

We looked into having our Bradley instructor be our doula, but couldn't afford it. She charged $900 and that included meeting with her 4 times at her house to discuss things, and also hypno birthing and a pregnancy massage from the massuse who works for her. She runs a birthing business and now she has doulas working for her who charge much less. She was just very popular and busy, which drove her prices up. She also would take pictures at your birth. She's a wonderful photographer. She took some newborn and nursing pics for us after the birth of ds #2.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:15 PM

We paid $350 I believe but she was an intern so was a little less than a seasoned one. My birth was very quick so she was not able to make it. We hired her for sibling support mainly. She did take a roll of great post-partum pictures for us.

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

Old 05-25-2003, 09:29 PM

we paid $750 which did not cover the birthing class ($85). She did one post birth visit and any phone calls. I think it was certainly worth it for the first birth, but I am not so sure the second time around. It's alot of money and the insurance company paid nothing.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:54 AM

I voted for "nothing - insurance paid" even though I haven't actually given birth yet. Actually, at the hospital where I plan to deliver, they assign you a doula when you register. You can decline her services if you don't want a doula or if you don't click, but the opportunity is there for every laboring mother, whether or not she has insurance.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:04 PM

sarahlynn~

welcome to MDC & good luck on your upcoming birth! how great that your hospital provides that!!!!!!!!!!! wish more did.

hugs~

lisa:bf

Old 05-31-2003, 08:49 PM
Banned

Wow, looks like NYC is the most expensive place possible to hire a doula. My doula was $1000 and that was in the middle of her sliding scale ($750-1250) and she has since raised her scale to $1000-1600! Being a doula in NYC pays well, if you can get the clients.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:00 AM

Mine is costing $800. I thought she'd be the best, and who knows, maybe she will be. I'm going for a vbac, and I wanted a really strong advocate since this will be a hospital birth. She offers 2 prenatal visits, and one postpartum visit. She also takes a couple rolls of pictures. But sometimes I feel like there should be more. She was supposed to mail me a book, and she hasn't done that yet. I guess I expect a little quicker service for such a fee. I'll say this much, I'm not waiting too long to call her after labor starts. I want every pennies worth. If I get my vbac, it will all be worth it, but an 8 hour foot massage coldn't hurt either. If anyone thinks I'm being unreasonable in expecting "more" please let me know. Maybe she's not paing much attention to me because I've done the pregnancy thing before. But shouldn't we be establishing some sort of relationship before heading off to labor-land?
Old 06-04-2003, 11:43 PM

Yeah! I called my doula almost every day! We were friends and she wasn't all professional about it, kwim?
Lauren
Old 06-07-2003, 01:33 AM

I am a doula in Minnesota and I charge about $350 for 2 prenatals, the birth, and post-partum visits.

Do you ladies find that your doulas come to your house, or meet you at the hospital? Perhaps it's of your choosing? Does this affect price? I go where I am asked for. I give foot massages at my prenatals, and little gifts like rice packs and massage oil. I know there are other ladies in MN who charge much more. I also know some who charge less. I feel that getting the word out and making this vital aspect to birthing more readily available financially really makes a difference in women's lives! But hey, I love this job so much, I'd do it for free! LOL

Blessings to all you ladies who are expecting your own little miracles to arrive soon. Hope you're able to find and afford the doula you desire!

Hugs,
Chris Anne Johnson

Old 06-07-2003, 02:16 PM

I have met with clients at restaurants or usually at their home. The price doesn't change~I will meet wherever its convenient for them.

Warmly~

Lisa:bf

Old 06-07-2003, 05:14 PM
Banned

I paid $200 and got two doulas! (One was just "learning," but she was actually more help than my main doula.)
Old 06-08-2003, 10:15 AM

My doula needed one more birth (mine) to complete her training, so she did not charge me. It's a good thing too, because she fell asleep! I didn't find her to be helpful at all. I would have prefered that she stayed at home. I found my friend, who at the time had no birth experience at all, to be much more helpful.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Serena
Wow, looks like NYC is the most expensive place possible to hire a doula. My doula was $1000 and that was in the middle of her sliding scale ($750-1250) and she has since raised her scale to $1000-1600! Being a doula in NYC pays well, if you can get the clients.
Almost... it seems big city doulas can charge that... 3 years ago my Doula was $750 (she was based in Los Angeles and her partner charged $1,000 ...) it didn't work out. We ended up not wanting her there (won't go into the whole thing). The contract said she got to keep her deposit ($350), so she kept it. It included 3-4 home visits. I still think she is a GREAT Doula, I just would have to consider it if I had to hire her again.

OK here is the story... when I hired her she said she was a HypnoBirthing instructor... Once she was hired it comes out she is brand new at this and not charging her first 10 clients because she is still "practicing." She handed me a tape of her own voice (lousy, lousy, lousy recording) of her own voice doing the audio tape recordings that I'm supposed to practice with. We had 2? Hypnobirthing sessions and they were awful. No wonder her clients weren't having much success with it. I desperatedly wanted a med free birth, and I was giving birth in a hospital, so I was searching and searching for alternatives. Thankfully, I found a local HypnoBirthing practioner (who taught a real class) and when I told her what my Doula was doing, she was horrified. That is no way to "teach" it.

Well, I took the HypnoBirthing class and went on to have a painfree 20 hour labor in the hospital. I was soooo determined and I practiced the relaxation everyday. I credit taking the class (reading the book alone/tapes alone would not have worked for me) with my success... up to the birth, my confidence grew and grew. Although I was terrified at the beginning of my pg about giving birth, by the end I was looking forward to it and even felt confident about doing it "unassisted."

Well I was on the fence about videotaping it. On the one hand I wanted to, and on the other I did not. DH did not want it videotaped. The Doula thought videotaping it would be a great idea. She was trying to convince me to convince DH. I got the very strong feeling that she would video tape it, get a copy and say "This mom was one of MY first Hypnobirthing client." A white lie, but a deception. At that point, I didn't feel so great about having her attend my birth. DH didn't either.

My insurance may not have paid for it, but Flexplan did (money set aside from DH's paycheck that is not taxed specifically for medical purposes.)

10 - boy
5.5 - girl

User Tag List