How much demand is there for postpartum doulas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-28-2006, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is something I'm thinking about going into. I don't have childcare or family available at anytime to become a birth doula.

Who uses a postpartum doula? Do they also use a birth doula? Who could afford both? Some things for me to ponder before I start the certification process.

I would like to start certification when my youngest starts preschool. I'm hoping to work mother's hours (while they are at school) and take summers off.

I used to work as a breastfeeding counselor for WIC. I'm also thinking of doing that again when my youngest starts preschool until the ball starts rolling w/ the doula plans.
#2 of 18 Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 PM

I am interested in becoming a postpartum doula also. It is something that I will have to wait until my kids are older. I personally have only heard of one lady using a pp doula. I think that it is an important job, but most moms don't know about it. Also, many have family help and would not want to pay someone.

I think it would come in handy with multiple births, those who do not have any family or friends close by, or those that make alot of money and like to pay someone else to do everything for them. :

Have you looked into any doula programs? I like the one offered by birtharts.com.
#3 of 18 Old 12-28-2006, 11:32 PM

I am a DONA certified postpartum doula in very upstate NY, near Albany. I created a market in a very rural area so if I can do it you can do it! I don't make quite as much as city doulas but definitely enough to make it more than worth my while. I LOVE it and can't imagine doing anything else. I pounded the pavement the first 6 months with marketing, education, etc. and it has paid off big time. Please let me know if you have any questions! There is a link to my website in my profile if you want more info on exactly what I do.

Amy

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#4 of 18 Old 12-29-2006, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am a certified Doula as well- not DONA though. With The Holistic Midwifery Institute.

I have done very little with it however. Because of family demands then pregnancies. I am thinking about going into midwifery now- as that was always my direction and my passion.

I think that if more people knew about PP doulas and our culture supported the idea that women needed help- I think the need would be so much larger. But there is still a need- and once one woman starts telling her friends, well, it kinda snowballs. Like Amydoula said- if it can be done in a rural area it can be done any place.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#5 of 18 Old 12-29-2006, 01:12 AM

You asked about people using doulas...I have gotten 3 of my 4 clients by doing their births and then postpartum work for them. I get referrals through a local website and I don't see nearly as many requests for pp doulas as birth doulas but I still do see them on a fairly regular basis.

I think the hardest part for me is knowing HOW and WHEN to let people know what a pp doula is - OB/GYN or midwife offices seem too early - people seem to be thinking of the birth but ped offices seem too late - like maybe they could have used one but it's too late now. I still intend to market myself to these care providers. You never know. It just seems like if someone takes a childbirth class, they are going to learn more about birth doulas than pp doulas. But still....that is even another place. Make sure that childbirth educators know about you. And make sure that all the birth doulas in your area know about you!

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#6 of 18 Old 12-29-2006, 02:20 AM

:

Monica mama of Joad(11-22-04)
#7 of 18 Old 12-29-2006, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Amy and other gals! That was very helpful. I have looked at certification with DONA and CAPPA. I moved to a new area a year ago. So I need to make new contacts.

I had contacts with La Leche, the birth center, LCs, childbirth educators, and doulas. I'm finding it hard to get involved in that circle again with the hectic preschool and kindergarten schedule. I think it will be easier when my oldest is in first grade going a full day. Then I can start going to La Leche again, etc. In the meantime I should find some local email groups.

I think the hours would really be ideal for me and just take the summers off when school is out. I also have a passion for mothering the mother.
#8 of 18 Old 12-30-2006, 09:10 AM

Here they have trouble finding enough doulas to fill the demand! The local PP doula org fields calls (Northwest Association for Postpartum Support, eg NAPS is the organization) and they frequently call me to see if I have any availability even though I am not doing client work at the moment because they have mamas who need help.

I would guess it depends on your region and how well known the concept is. Here we have this organization that has done a great job with marketing and so people are very aware we exist... and we have the economic climate to support paying for the care we give. Its been a good thing.
#9 of 18 Old 12-30-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA mommy View Post
Who uses a postpartum doula? Do they also use a birth doula? Who could afford both?
Well I used a postpartum doula last year after my dd was born for the first 4 weeks. Dh & I have little family and being fairly new in our area no friends to help out. Both of our mothers are deceased, my dh is a only child and I only have a younger brother so really no one to help out since what family we do have is 1000+ miles away and we aren't close .

Thankfully this was not my first child (I have a teenager as well) but it was nice to have someone around just to help me out. My pp doula helped with breastfeeding, she also showed me how to use my sling, and really just allowed me to get showered and to catch a moment alone. She also ran errands like picking up nursing pads for me, etc. The sort of thing that if you have family/friends that are availble and willing to help you may not need a pp doula but if you don't a pp doula is a godsend.

I didn't plan to use a birth doula, I felt comfortable just using my dh and due the costs I admittedly was more concerned about having a spare set of hands when we got home. Though my planned birth center birth turned into a unexpected hospital birth so I ended up with a birth doula since my midwife's partner didn't have priviledges at the hospital I was transferred to so she served as my doula and my MW delivered (she did have priviledges).

I admit it was a bit pricey ($25 an hour) so we tried to keep her hours to 20 or less during that time but it was worth it. It was also nice to just have a someone to talk to.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#10 of 18 Old 12-30-2006, 12:00 PM

I am not a doula -- so sorry if i shouldn't post about this -- but I am moma and and TTC number tow.

so call me a client

there is one only -- i think -- in our area.

i do not know how high demand is -- but i think it would be great, again, if people knw about it.

we have talked about loking for one next time -- depending on family.

I think that more education and marketing in -- in general -- needed.

Any doula who can afford it should try to set up a web page -- even one page without links -- beacuse so many people research on the internet -- and seeing a face and a little bio is a lot better than jsut a name and phone number -- and the web bage can also expalin a little more, you know FAQ -- so people feel like they know a little more before they contact you (no more fear of asking somethig stupid) -- this would be good for birth adn PP doula -- but as birth doulas are a little better known (a little) maybe it would be more importnat for the pp ons?

I really think a PP had it right -- connect with the birth educators. they talk about birth doula and they can talk abotu pp doulas -- a fam might not, then diecdied they want one, but at least the idea is there, a seed is planted.

Also baby fairs. locally both big hosiptals have one 2X a year. the one i went to was cool. yes there was a lot of main stream stuff -- formula compnies and day care groups and so on -- butttttttttttt i also met the WAHM who makes all the colth dipers i use there, and there were other cool things / people there. a nice posterboard display with some flyers, maybe lay your bag of tricks out on the table and visit with some moms -- again -- if nothing else it plants the seed and gets not only your name -- but the whole concept out there. The one i went to had cloth diapers, baby wearing but no doulas (CNM were there as they have privilages).

I am not sure as a pp you'd get as much work -- but for now -- due to time issues with family -- maybe that would be enough? later you could add birth doula to your hat if you wanted to.

soemthing else to think about -- have you considered certifying as a CBE? it allows for more set sechdule -- whiel still serving the birthing community.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#11 of 18 Old 12-31-2006, 12:14 PM

I am currently working towards my PPD certification through DONA. I work for a service now but intend to become independent in about 1.5 years.

I do not know how to market myself. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also has becoming a childbirth educator paid off ? What I mean by that is did the amount of time and money that you paid help you financially and businesswise?

Thanks for reading
Elizabeth
#12 of 18 Old 12-31-2006, 03:20 PM

i am not a doula or child brith ed -- yet -- but my best idea i posted above -- baby fairs.

A

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#13 of 18 Old 12-31-2006, 03:31 PM

I am a PP doula in WI. I am one of only two strictly PP doulas in this city (the rest do birth work as well) and I can't accomodate all of the calls/emails I receive. I would say I get about 4-5 calls/emails each month, and I only take 1 client per month. Since I will be going on maternity leave in May-ish, I wish there were another PP doula here that I could refer people to. I feel very guilty when I can't give a family the help they need.

It really is rewarding work and I encourage those who are interested in pursuing it to go for it.

ETA: Like others, I had to get myself out there. I printed up cards and would strike up conversations with pregnant women at the park, etc. We have a local resource center here and it's helped that I know the owners well, plus quite a few of the facilitators. So when someone asks about PP doulas, my name instantly comes up. I also have a website, and I am a member of a local doula organization that has a website. I got my name added to a "mommy" website here too. You just have to get into the community and make yourself known. It didn't take long for me at all.
#14 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 02:48 AM

A question for the pp doulas....

Are you DONA certified?
Does this certification make a difference to your clients?
If you are not DONA certified, how did you acquire your training?

Monica mama of Joad(11-22-04)
#15 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 10:17 AM

I am DONA trained but not certified. It doesnt seem to make a difference, but I havent done much in-home client work (I facilitate postpartum support classes). I could charge more for in-home work if I was certified, I think, though... or maybe I would just feel more comfortable charging more then. Demand here is high enough, and I would get enough referrals from CBEs and MWs and other PP doulas I know in the community, I dont think people would care.
#16 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by womama View Post
A question for the pp doulas....

Are you DONA certified?
Does this certification make a difference to your clients?
If you are not DONA certified, how did you acquire your training?

Yes I am DONA certified, yes it makes a difference, not necessarily that it is DONA but that I am certified by someone. The women in my area can be very hesitant to hire someone uncertified. I took my training in Boston in 2004. I am on their cert. committee now so if you have specific questions feel free to PM or ask on here and I will help you through the process.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#17 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 05:32 PM

Business-wise it is good to offer all services, then the client gets great coninuity of care.

I am a CBE and certified birth doula. Postpartum visits and breastfeeding/infantcare support are part of my package. I don't think I would have as much clientele just being a PP doula. Here Here to wanting to create a society that values and understands the fact that women need HELP before, during, and after birth!
#18 of 18 Old 01-01-2007, 06:45 PM

Had it been available to me I definitely would have hired a post partum doula after my first csection. I didn't need that type of help after my last two, but I did need help with breastfeeding, healing, and just general care after my first. I talk to a lot of women who need csections that would like to hire a doula for their births and to help them afterwards in the hospital with breastfeeding and advocacy or just recovery in general but there are not many who do that kind of work or want to that I have found.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page