Group B Strep...urine test symptoms...X-posted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-02-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was suggested that I x-post this...would love your professional opinions! TIA

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out, I've scanned a TON of threads here and online info as well as talked to my MW and can't seem to find an answer that makes sense to me! I apologize in advance this is so long, I don't want to miss something incase it makes a difference!

I'm 32 weeks, about 2 weeks ago, and was having some major itching down there and swelling of my "parts" (would kinda come and go) so my MW took a swab, and it came back positive for strep-b, but nothing else was mentioned (found out that there was insufficient sample for the yeast test- I've never had a YI so I'm unsure of the symptoms but I don't have the cottage cheese like discharge).

My recent urine stick tests have been positive for leukocytes, and also has blood in it...indicating infection (got that part would GBS show up here as well as the swab?

MW gave me some herbal remedies for a UTI (assuming that's what it is based on stick test results) in addition to a month long regimen that is supposed to get rid of the GBS.

So, I've been doing the GBS treatment since I found out about the GBS and did another urine stick at today's appointment. Still had a high level leukocytes and even a higher concentration of blood- shouldn't this be decreasing? I thought this is what led us to the UTI diagnosis- which I've completed the course of treatment and feel no symptoms of...

From everything I've read GBS is pretty symptom less- and I know it can be there one day and gone the next...but why am I still itchy and swollen at times down there? And have some yellowish discharge. I haven't seen where it would throw off results of the stick test. Do you think there's more going on that we're (MW and I) am missing?

Sorry this is SO long, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on as I really want a healthy environment down there when I give birth, and can't seem to find answers anywhere, and I know there are a ton of great people on here who might have had something similar.

Any other thoughts on what could be going on? Thanks so much, I owe you big time if you've gotten this far!

Here's the original thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=586974
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-03-2007, 12:01 AM

It can be hard at a distance to diagnose somebody, but here are a few thoughts.

Without doing a urine culture, it is pretty difficult to know what is causing the blood -- if you do have a UTI, it could be from GBS or it could be from E.Coli, or something else entirely. It would be good to know what is causing it because it will help with treatment. Also the kind of heavy colonization with GBS that causes bladder infections can present risks for premature labor, premature rupture of membranes and a higher rate of GBS infection in the baby.

Your symptoms sound a lot like bacterial vaginosis, which is a condition that causes yellowish discharge and a high vaginal pH. BV also makes an ideal environment for gbs to grow. One way to fix it is to lower the pH of the vagina, making it more acidic. There are a lot of home remedies for BV, including washing with a diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide. This often offers pretty immediate relief. I have women squirt their labia with a 50% solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. If it is really irritating, then back it off to a 25% solution or even a 10% solution. I usually loan them a syringe, minus the needle, and they use that to squirt themselves. You could use a peri bottle or even a bulb syringe, though. One-three treatments should do it.

Another treatment is boric acid. Boric acid is packed into capsules and then one capsule is inserted at bedtime in the vagina for seven days. It dissolves and the boric acid washes down the vagina and acidifies the whole area and keeps the BV in check. It also makes it hard for GBS to survive.

What is your GBS regimen?

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#3 of 5 Old 01-03-2007, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply- in my research I was wondering about BV, but figured it would have shown up with my culture, but I'm starting to wonder. The risks of premature membrane rupture scared me...one of the reasons I'm still trying to figure out what is going on rather then just waiting it out.

I had read about the hydrogen peroxide wash- as well as the boric acid. I've heard that I should be able to get boric acid at a pharmacy, would a Walgreens/CVS/Osco have it or would I need to look elsewhere? I was worried about it at first but found through research it's less acidic then vinegar.

The GBS regimen is a month long...basically daily 4 mega flora, 3 GSE, 1 vit C, 3 odorless garlic. Started with diluted betadine vaginally on sea sponge (2 total times one day apart at the beginning) then 2 mega flora internally every other day/2days/3days/4days over the course of the month! Hope that makes sense Oh and a 1/2 cup of blueberries along with my prenatal. It was similar to others I've seen on here- but most others seemed to include echinacea.

Thanks again for your input- it's much appreciated, I think I will call my MW and get her to culture my urine sooner rather then waiting 2/3 weeks for my next appointment.
#4 of 5 Old 01-03-2007, 02:22 PM

Culture is not a good way to diagnose BV. The organism that often causes it, gardnerella, is not always present. It is usually diagnosed one of three ways -- by its odor, by a vaginal pH of 4.5 or greater, or by looking at discharge on a slide to look for the presence of clue cells.

I think that your midwife's regimen for gbs is pretty good, but probably not enough to cure a bad UTI. I would recommend getting a urine culture and then going from there. With someone who had blood in her urine, I would usually recommend a culture, then treatment, herbal or antibiotic, then a followup culture to make sure that it worked.

The garlic and the blueberries and the gse by mouth might have an impact on the uti, but they are probably not enough. This whole regimen seems to be aimed at attacking gbs in the intestinal tract and on the skin in the vaginal area(except for the blueberries, which are probably for the uti, though they have a lot of antioxidants as well, which might be helpful in a general health sense). They would be good for helping to avoid heavy colonization, but if it is already there, they also might not be enough.

Uva Ursi might help with the UTI no matter what caused it. There are some side effects, so it is something that you would want to talk about with your midwife. Usnea is something that would help if it is caused by GBS. It also is not without side effects. Both of these are things you would want to take short-term.

I still don't think that treating as if you have BV would be a bad idea.

Good luck!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#5 of 5 Old 01-03-2007, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Stacia, I'm glad you responded! My first thought on reading her post in the other place was that it might be BV, but I didn't have enough info to give her either way.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page