Picking out an ultrasonography place ~ what questions to ask~??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2007, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to consider an ultrasound for dates (or to rule out twins or polyhydramnios). I am somewhere between 20w 4d and 24 weeks. Because I'm in the second tri I want to get the most accurate ultrasound possible.

What do I need to ask????

TIA

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 AM

are you looking for freestanding like a 3d/4d place, or for a diagnostic?
i think im confused.... diagnostic, you get your doc/midwife to do it, or refer you...and if youre looking to get a crap, i dont remember the word, but for fun type but while checking out stuff as well, but not officially, you need a freestanding, and if youre going up and need someone, you need a doc or mw who will do it for you...
i know of a few docs that will do diagnostic but it is set up to do it as an elective for 'fun' one, you just pay like 400 bucks instead since youre not their patient, and you still get the extra stuff, as well as diagnostic, is that what you are looking for?
where are you, and which are you looking for, i can help, i got pretty good at searching for these places LOL
Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

My midwife is very far from me-- and what if I was doing my own prenatal care?
I called the people (doctors) who do my well women stuff and I'm waiting to hear back.
I want diagnostic.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 01-05-2007, 03:05 PM

Your midwife should be able to fax an order for ultrasound in even if she is far from you. Why doesn't she? Is she licensed and in the same state? As for "what if you were doing your own prenatal care", you'd be out of luck because a licensed health care worker needs to write the order.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:44 PM

The diagnostic place here won't take people unless they have a referral, but that's only one place. There's a Mothering Mag article somewhere that talks about what to look for. You might ask questions like how long the Dr. has been practicing, how many scans per year does s/he do ( I think the ideal is 750+, but don't quote me on that), and does the Dr. or someone else actually do the scan? We got referred to a local radiologist and all the guy does is u/s and x-ray. He was fantastic - way faster and more experienced than the ER u/s I had done by whoever was on call at the hospital with ds1.

User Tag List