Other 2 20.00%
I can see all clients with these issues 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2003, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Assuming you practice in the home or a birth center and not hospitals...)

Just wondering what the most common reasons a midwife would have for not being able to see a client. I had a midwife who was allowed to attend breech births, twins, overdue babies and premature babies up to 35 weeks, but she could not see me when I tested positive for GBS.

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2003, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I "risk out" clients who drink or use drugs, who have high blood pressure that is not alleviated with position or herbs, women with pre-eclampsia, and births before 35.5 weeks (this is individual, as some cases are more risky than others).

I just had a client go to 44 weeks, one VBAC that went to 45 weeks last year...and a 13lb baby recently that measured 52cm at her last prenatal! They all went beautifully!
Old 05-12-2003, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not a midwife, I'm a nurse at a birth center that uses CNMs, but I thought I'd post what we can do.

We *cannot* attend births of multiples, breech (although, how does one know the babe is breech, if one does not do vaginal exams? ), pre-eclampsia, diabetes that is not controlled by diet, and some drug use. We will attend smokers, and occasionally a woman with a history of drug abuse that did not end with pregnancy (ie, she is clean now, but was not at some point during pregnancy). A situation like that is really individualized--our doc meets with them and discusses it with a perinatologist. If the babe might be compromised, he is probably better off being born in the hospital. But if every thing looks okay, that mom and babe are probably better off in an out of hospital situation.

We have in the last year attended VBACs (two women had more than one c-section), women with health conditions (mainly heart conditions. The cardiologists said that nothing different would be done in the hospital, so therefore we felt a birth center birth was safe), adoptions, one incarcerated woman (minimum security), births where the babe has died in utero, and the parents wanted the babe born out of hospital, teens, and 40+ year old moms of 12 or more children.

Even if a mom calls and says she has a condition which we usually refuse, we still go ahead and schedule an appointment, since sometimes we can get around regulations...we really want to do what is best for mom and babe.

Oh, and our biggest babe this year was 10 # 14 ounces. I think our biggest ever has been close to 12#. But we haven't had a 13#er yet! I hope I am there for that!

User Tag List