Fundus measuring 5 weeks behind? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 38 weeks and had an appointment with my midwife today and I'm only measuring 33 weeks. She thought that baby was maybe deep in my pelvis and that was why but she checked and baby didn't seem that low. She scheduled me for an u/s in 2 days to see whats going on. After doing an internal she wanted to measure me again and still got the 33 week measurment. I'm a little worried since I've never measured behind in any of my other pregnancys. How often are fundal height measurments this "off"? Is there a real concern here? I switched from on OB practice at 33 weeks because I really wanted a totally natural birth and now I feel like I'm going to end up induced.
Thaks for any help. I'm freaking out a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-23-2007, 11:16 PM

Is this the first week you have measured small? Has this midwife measured you before?

What caregivers are usually worried about is IUGR and low fluid. With IUGR you would have most likely measured small previous to 38 weeks. With low fluid, you're 38 weeks... technically you could go into labor at any time on your own.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#3 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

I've measured 2-3 weeks behind for the past few visits. But they didn't seem concerned until today. All along they have said that the baby "feels" small but measured within a few days of my LMP at my 20 week scan.
Thanks
#4 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what do you think about the baby's size? I mean what size do you think this baby is?
next question I have that matches other question- is this the first time this midwife has measured you? if you have been having different people measure you then it could be provider variance--

what has the baby's movement been like- active quiet... does the baby react to sound?
#5 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

I have had pretty much a different midwife for each visit since I switched at 33 weeks. So I guess it could be a difference in measuring technique. I also do feel this baby is smaller than my others. I'm much smaller than all of my other pregnancys. Everyone I meet comments on how "little" my tummy is but I really didn't think too much of it. Baby is a little quieter than my others but she does move around. No huge rolling or kicks but their are movements. I haven't noticed her reacting to sound though. I do have an u/s tomorrow so I guess I'll know more then. Thank you for your replies.
#6 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 11:58 AM

Since you've never measured behind before, it can't hurt to find out what is going on... however, fundal measurement can vary so much depending on how baby is lying, who does the measuring, etc.

IME, during my third pregnancy I measured 1cm behind at all but one or two prenatals and never measured more than 38cm. Dd was born at 40w6d weighing 7lb 6oz.
#7 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 PM

Could be that she is just a small baby.

I was mainly trained by a fairly laid back midwife, I'm trying to think about what she would have done. Definitely the u/s, but I don't think she would have jumped to induction or anything. A kick-count chart, for sure, nutritional advice, etc.

#8 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Okay, midwives, then, if they'll be looking for low fluid, would it behoove the mama to drink lots of fluids and keep off of her feet until the u/s? That way, if ALL other signs are good, her fluid is less likely to be AS low as it otherwise would and they'll be LESS likely to want to induce? Or would you suggest a wait and see attitude? Because, around here, doing an u/s for the fundal height being off is a sure ticket to "low fluid" induction, even when the fluid is at a "low normal" status...don't want to freak the OP out, just wondering what you'd suggest?

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#9 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

My dh called the midwives office and got my u/s pushed up to this afternoon so I should know in a few hours.
Thanks for your help.
#10 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 04:26 PM

Anytime you suspect low fluid it's a good idea to push fluids. Pregnant women should have a glass of water in their hands at all times anyway.

#11 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I always craved fluids so that people thought I was crazy, and usually suggest that mamas try to always have a full glass of water going, preferably with a straw...but I think MY idea of drinking a lot and somebody elses may differ!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#12 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 08:24 PM

I was about that far behind at that point in pregnancy with Erica. I was always a little behind, like I was with the boys as well. Never 4 or 5 cm though so I was a little nervous. My mw was not worried about it at all, though, because the baby was really deep in my pelvis.

I had a u/s to be sure of fluids etc, and it was all good...she was 6lbs 13oz at 41w4d...so that's why I was measuring so small. She was teeny weeny.

Hope your story is just like mine, nice and simple explanation :d
#13 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm back. Baby looks like she may just be small. She is measuring 35w2days and her weight estimate is 5lbs 8ozs. Her fluid levels was at 7.7 cms. So I guess it looks like she just may be smaller. They also did a NST and she did great. My midwife told me to go home and EAT! So I guess I'll work on fattening her up a little. Thanks for your help and comments.
#14 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 PM

Yay! That's great news.

FWIW, I had a small baby with my second, not too small or anything but she was 6.5.... Much easier than birthing my 8 pound first baby, lol.

I'm sure your midwife told you to eat protein, right?

#15 of 15 Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 PM

I never measured more than 33-34cm when I delivered at 38 weeks with both babies and they weighed 7lbs and 6.5lbs

i also recently had a client whose baby 'measured' 33 weeks on ultrasound (she was 38w) and she delivered a 7+lb baby three weeks later (impossible if bb was really as small as tech insisted at 38 w.

maybe your babe is small, but you'll only know for sure after giving birth. it IS good advice to EAT and drink lots. you are a busy mama probably, but it's worth taking time out for that

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page