Birth Professionals web design - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2007, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't mind building my own site, but now want something more professional looking.

If anyone has any leads PM me!

I'm searing for someone, WAHM preferred, who does webdesign for birth professionals.

What has everyone else done? I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find it!

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2007, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i'm looking to redesign my page to - i want it current and hot. maybe we should include this in the WAHM forum??
Old 02-01-2007, 05:58 AM

You guys should talk to Tiffany at alldoulas.com. She's really good at web design and it a WAHM. Not sure what she offers exactly, but she is a doula as well so she knows about the biz

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
Old 02-01-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

That's funny, I was reading some of her (Tiffany's) comments at all doulas early this morning.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
Old 02-03-2007, 03:57 AM

I woul just love to get a page started as well! Hmmm

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Old 02-03-2007, 04:40 PM

Well.. in a previous "life" (before I found my passion for birth) I was a web designer. Another project I'm working on right now is a marketing system for midwives/doulas/cbe's, that will include a website, brochure & business card. I have a big heart for mainstreaming the marketing of birth workers... making everyone more visible in their communities. This is a reallllly big project though so I wouldn't expect it to launch until mid/late spring, but it might be worth waiting for. But I know Tiffany at alldoulas.com kicks some major design booty and I've had luck with projects posted at elance.com
Old 02-03-2007, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking at Pappashop right now (for hosting and matience), and will probably buy a web design product to do it on my own. It's called Ewie or something and it looks all inclusive and you don't have to know more then point and click. Pappashop is only $12 (right now I'm with microsoft live, which is completely contained, easy and free but last week they switched servers and I can't get in to edit anything FYI for those considering their first webpresence I think it'as awesome and even includes the domain for free! It just takes time to get it looking good) and has a cart included. I'm adding a little botique to my business because I love sewing and everyone always wants me to sew for them so I now need a cart, the free website doen't include a cart.

Anyhow had anyone worked with Pappashop--good or bad? I guess I'd have to transfer my domain from microsoft too then? I wish I could figure out how the heck to sign in!

here's my current free site, if anyone wants to see it!

Old 02-04-2007, 12:05 AM

I've never heard of Pappashop before but their hosting prices seem a little steep. I recommend LunarPages for hosting because they offer a lot of features for a really inexpensive price. I've had quite a few clients use them for hosting and never have heard anything but the highest praise (especially about their customer service). My favorite content management system is Joomla!, which is free but does take a little work to learn how to use and install.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:30 AM

I use GoDaddy for site hosting -

And I've always been in love with the clean design of http://www.verydesign.com
Old 02-04-2007, 12:40 PM

This is such a timely thread for me.

My website was designed by a client as barter for a birth three years ago for the women who used to own my business. I just yesterday started playing with it on Dreamweaver (which I found really easy to use and recommend highly as a software program). I put up the first page online. It still needs some tweaking and I think I can jazz it up a little bit, but here it is: http://www.trilliumbirthservices.com . The links don't work yet, but maybe by the end of today or tomorrow. What do you think? Dawud, the client who designed it, has done some nice work.

I use godaddy for domain name registration and dreamhost for webhosting. I have been totally happy with both of them. Dreamhost gave me so much space that we have the ability to host our own family website, my work website, my husband's art portfolio, and the website for my zine, with a couple of dozen emails associated with them. All under one account. I think I pay 9.95 per month? I just don't know why someone would put their site up on a website with ads when it is that cheap to do it this way.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:45 PM

I am very excited with how my website turned out. Here it is at www.heartsongbirth.com

I used a FREE site creator called, "Site Kreator" I spent the 9 dollars or so for domain registration with GoDaddy, my neighbour designed my logo and I designed everything else. I think it looks a lot more professional than a lot of templates currently available and the hosting is free, but you can still use your own domain. It certainly took a lot of time to make, but a lot less time than learning front page or some other web editor.

If budget is a concern, but you want your website to look more professional than what is currently out there, go to Site Kreator! I'm using the personal edition.

Abby
Old 02-04-2007, 08:54 PM

I just use freewebs for mine at this point. I am POOR!! And I really like the way that it has turned out. I have received permission from CIMS, Le Leche League and NOCIRC to put things on my website. It is an alternative to paying (if you are poor like me!)

www.freewebs.com/doulasarah

I love you site Abby (ldsap - I have been searching DONA just today for something to add about dads and doula's...) and Pam! All great!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wow your site looks great Abby!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 02-04-2007, 11:04 PM

I really love a lot of these sites. I like Abby's front page and Sarah's doula services page, especially the henna'ed belly!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:27 PM

K, your site is beautiful. So is Abby's! These are really very nice sites. I always feel like my site is too big... too many pages, but I can't seem to narrow it down. I really want the information to be out there.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:26 AM

I have gone through godaddy, too, for hosting and template through their Website Tonight. My site is www.birthmarkdoula.com.

Alas, i am feeling the itch to change, too.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

I really love all these sites.

Those that have posted yours, where do your rank in searches? How many hits per day? Do you have search engine optimization?

I don't know if I can get my domian back in order to transfer it to the new server (I'm looking at godaddy again, I really love the trilliam site!). Does anyone know if it will hurt my ranking to start over with a new domain? I've worked for about 8months to get to #1 on most engines and I don't want to loose that, even if I have to pay $20/mo to stay with microsoft.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm in the midst of a life purge...clearing junk out of life, house, heart and mind....and the website is part of that I've painted one whole floor (6 rooms), not including the hall and donates 16 boxes of uselessness to the ARC. Poor me when dh goes looking for his "collections" next year But 10 yrs of marriage has left me choked to death with junk and clutter.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:38 AM

Mine is more local. I don't have it ranked anywhere as far as I know. People just see my profile here at the Childbirth Collective and can do into the website. They also get to see a lot of others as well. It is great because they know right away specific things about me.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post
I don't know if I can get my domian back in order to transfer it to the new server (I'm looking at godaddy again, I really love the trilliam site!). Does anyone know if it will hurt my ranking to start over with a new domain? I've worked for about 8months to get to #1 on most engines and I don't want to loose that, even if I have to pay $20/mo to stay with microsoft.
You can always "get your domain name back" TRUST me. As long as it's in your name. If you move your current domain name to a new registrar or change hosts, you will keep your search engine rankings. If you change to a completely new domain name, yes, you will loose your ranking.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 AM

Pam, I've learned so much from your site! I've been reading you for a long while now (blog, website, here) so...don't go changin...

I'm loving all the sites.

Search engine optimization has been a big thing on my mind, but because I'm using a free program it is a lot harder to do the things necessary to up my rank. The main search for my area "Vancouver Doula" or Doulas in Vancouver or WHATEVER always always always brings up our local doula services association and the "Vancouver Doula" that is her business name (smart!). But people are finding me via the web, so...that's good. I'm listed at many local sites and at many of the free places to list your doula services. I hope to rank better, however. All in good time

Abby
Old 02-05-2007, 11:22 AM

Search engine optimization is something that I am a complete newbie at. When my page was originally set up, the web designer put a bunch of keywords into the title (you can see them when you pull up my page) and I later added them to the meta name line in the HTML code. (I know that sounds overwhelmingly technical to anyone who is using site builders to build their pages, but it wasn't that hard).

I hear that items that are on the top of a page and bigger get pulled up more by the search engines. So, you might want to have "Birth Doula Serving the Vancouver Area" somewhere near the top, in a larger font.

One thing I have been thinking about is whether or not including my web address in my sig line will help with search engine optimization. Will the search engines count each time I post on some topic on some random discussion group as a mention of my site?

My site has been only up a couple of days, so the search engines aren't even finding it now. Let's see what a week or two brings.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:40 PM

It's important to note that search engines don't usually magically find you. You have to submit yourself about once every six weeks for the best results. Here are some common submit links for the major search engines:

http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl
http://submit.search.yahoo.com/free/request
http://dmoz.org/add.html
http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx

If you submit yourself regularly (but not too often) your ranking will improve quickly. Also have freshly update content on a monthly basis, make sure your site is coded well and have a variety of different sites link to you. I published my site about a month ago and I'm already with in the top five for almost all my specific keywords... woot! www.bloombirthservices.com
Old 02-05-2007, 02:49 PM

you can also put key words on your pages in whatever color the background is - so it's invisible, but the search engines will pick it up. then do searches and find your page and click on it - the more you click on it, the higher up in the searches it will get.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Old 02-06-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
This is such a timely thread for me.

My website was designed by a client as barter for a birth three years ago for the women who used to own my business. I just yesterday started playing with it on Dreamweaver (which I found really easy to use and recommend highly as a software program). I put up the first page online. It still needs some tweaking and I think I can jazz it up a little bit, but here it is: http://www.trilliumbirthservices.com . The links don't work yet, but maybe by the end of today or tomorrow. What do you think? Dawud, the client who designed it, has done some nice work.

Love the 1st page already Stacia!

Christa
Old 02-06-2007, 01:13 AM

[

Christa
Old 02-06-2007, 01:19 AM

I designed one for my preceptor to help earn my keep LOL.
It's kind of basic, I've never done anything like this before but this is what I have so far:
www.michiganmidwife.com

Christa
Old 02-06-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
Search engine optimization is something that I am a complete newbie at. When my page was originally set up, the web designer put a bunch of keywords into the title (you can see them when you pull up my page) and I later added them to the meta name line in the HTML code. (I know that sounds overwhelmingly technical to anyone who is using site builders to build their pages, but it wasn't that hard).
nope, my website came with all of that and directions and I did it all myself. It took a few weeks to get to the top and stay there and I don't want to loose it!!

I went ahead and went with go daddy. Now all I need to do is find (if it still exists) my special codes so I can transfer the domain.

I might pay for design later, but I just LOVE doing it myself and changing it every few months.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

I think it looks GREAT, Christa. I much prefer the basic design to flashy splarklin nonsense, especially in the birth business.

BTW I don't see your link to the ALACE website!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

OK here's my newest dilemma:

which of these should I build my site around? I have both Birthteacher.com and Birthsure.com

I just want opinions on which YOU all think is easier to remember, cleaner looking etc.

ONe prob. with birthsure is that I am from MD and it sounds like I'm saying "shore"

Birthteacher would be fine, BUT I'm now training as a labor and PP doula so the name really doesn't define all of my work...but then again it will be a handful of years before I *really* invest my time into doula work (due to babies, homeschooling etc)

I'm also considering doing two sites and seeing which gets more hits. I have them both for several years.

Thank you SO MUCH I really appreciate it.

User Tag List