Tinctures for birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-02-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What tinctures would you reccomend having on hand for birth, and for what reason? I know nothing about herbs, and have no access to them anyway, but my Mom is going to the health food store where she lives, and they have a pretty huge selection so she should be able to find some before she comes out for the birth!

Thanks!

Lynisha ~Car Seat Tech-Scrapbookin'-Cake Decorating-semi-crunchy wife & SAHM to 2 + one on the way in Nov~

#2 of 11 Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone????

Lynisha ~Car Seat Tech-Scrapbookin'-Cake Decorating-semi-crunchy wife & SAHM to 2 + one on the way in Nov~

#3 of 11 Old 02-03-2007, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wishgarden herbs makes a wonderful blend in a tincture form that is for afterpains and that is very nice!

motherwort and shephard's purse can be used for postpartum hemorrhage, or Wishgarden Herbs makes a blend for that as well. I like blends that are already made as they just make it so much easier.

Otherwise, I just don't think there is all that much that you need unless there is a problem that you are nervous about. If you have a specific area to address, then you can look into herbs for that area.... otherwise your body will do its thing.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#4 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 01:40 AM

I like to keep black and blue cohosh on hand to move along contractions when needed. Evening Primrose oil to help ripen a cervix. Motherwort to prevent postpartum hemorage. Rescue Remedy for relieving labor anxiety. Not tinctures, but Emergen-C for an energy boost or sublingual B12. Goldenseal can be used on a cord to speed healing if needed. Most of these are not usually needed, but it's nice to have them on hand just in case.
#5 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 09:21 AM

Not all tinctures are the same in quality, so be sure to only buy from highly honored companies. When herbs and tinctures don't work, it is usually due to using a cheaper brand.

Wish Garden Herbs is good, I've used them for years. However, I now use Wise Women Herbals for single tinctures, because I know that each batch is tested for superior standardized strength. Pharm Herbs is another option to consider.

Angelica for use to control bleeding before the placenta.
Shepherd's Purse for use to control bleeding after the placenta.
Black & Blue Cohosh have a limited place in my bag now, due to questions about using too much and suppression of the baby.
Labor Tincture (Wish Garden Herbs) can't be beat in moving a sluggish labor into active labor.
Motherwort to help calm the mother and take the biting edge off of the more difficult contractions.
Cayenne used to be recommended for heavy bleeding, but unless the uterus is made firm mechanically, may lead to an eruption of heavy bleeding after the effects of the cayenne have waned.
#6 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 10:56 AM

i had an herbalist friend of mine make up a tincture for me, course i don't have the refernece book i used, so i'm checking with her about what's in it.

i have been very happy with penelope ody's book "herbs for a heathy pregnancy." (and birth)

it was less than $10 and urge any woman who is interested in herbalism to have it on her shelf.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#7 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 11:34 AM

Oh, and the black and blue cohoshes, I know lots of people use them (I have myself), but I think that the homeopathic might be the way to go on these due to the reasons that TBA in PA mentioned.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#8 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 12:11 PM

Equal parts wood betony, rose petal, partridgeberry (squaw vine) and red raspberry leaf.

you can mix it yourself or sarah at herbsfromthelabyrinth.com will make it up custom for about $11 for a one ounce bottle.

this is for early labor... mugwort is good for later labor and a bottle of cramp bark is good for after pains.

RRL and cinnamon is good for after the birth, as is fenugreek and blessed thisle for milk production.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#9 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Can someone tell me about using Motherwort to prevent postpartum hemorage?

#10 of 11 Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 AM

Motherwort as a preventative can be taken right after the baby has been born. the dosage of tincture would be 10 drops under the tongue.

#11 of 11 Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 AM

I have used Wishgarden for many years and like them very much. I attended a women's herbal symposium last year and met some women who handcraft their own herbal remedies. Their company name is Snow Mountain Botanicals and I believe they have a website.
Carla

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page