Midwifery through apprenticeship - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 02-08-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was attending National College of Midwifery and working with a wonderful, but busy preceptor. Between my schoolwork and time apprenticing I found I was away from my family too much. I bowed out of my apprenticeship and am now only doing doula work. Well, I think I have an opportunity to become an apprentice to a local midwife with a much slower practice. She would not require me to be enrolled in school and is fine with me learning as I go. Has anyone else gone the pure apprenticeship route? Do you think attending school should be a must? This new situation feels like a much better fit to me, one that I could manage. Before I say yes or no though I am trying to find the ups and downs to this sort of arrangement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-08-2007, 09:44 PM

Can you do both? With a slower practice, would school work fit in better?

In order for me to be licensed in CA, I have to complete a course from a MEAC accredited school. I haven't started yet, but have been apprenticing for a little over a year now. I am going to start NMI this summer probably, after my baby comes.

Eta- I meant to say "Can", not "Can't"
#3 of 11 Old 02-08-2007, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Wildthing you are my new hero! 8 kids and an apprenticeship...I'd better stop whining about my juggling act!

I hadn't even thought about state regs requiring certain education. I was so hung up on whether or not CPM's were allowed to practice that I didn't consider they might want more than just those letters after my name. Good point. Off to MANA.org to see what NJ says. If schooling is required I still think I would need to wait about a year until I was ready to do both school and births.
#4 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 03:21 PM

I am learning midwifery through an apprenticeship with a local midwife. I can't imagine learning any other way. Not from a book, although I have them when I need them...not from walking in a catching a baby, anyone can do that. But from following one family from their first prenatal, straight through to the birth and postpartum time. There is something that is gained by continuity of care that is lost in schools. These families know me, and I know them. I see and feel their babies grow. It is amazing.

Learning midwifery from a traditional hands on midwife is an amazing thing. I say go for it!

Sarah

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#5 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 PM

I did apprenticeship and did a correspondence course for my bookwork. Then I did the PEP for NARM. I do think the book work is important, especially if you are only apprenticing with one midwife because I feel it is very important to have many points of view guide your practice. Plus, you may not see every scenario in apprenticeship, having that base of knowledge can be a great plus... And now as a midwife - I want my apprentices to have some knowledge from either books, classes, etc.. to really be a help to me. Maybe they will learn something I haven't thought of, tried or knew about.
#6 of 11 Old 02-09-2007, 11:06 PM

Apprenticeship is great if that is all you have time for, of corse you are always learning and doing your own personal study. I currently work with a home birth practice and Im also a student with the Michigan School of Traditional Midiwfery and it fits in well with my work and family life. I feel that learning through apprenticship is the best, to have someone to guide you and support you through your learning is better then any school or corse can give you, you can read books all day long and take corses of study but it dosnt hold a candle to hands on learning with an accomplished midwife.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

#7 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
apprenticeship or boot straps was the only way for many years- Apprentice academics now named Ancient arts- was the first program to try and put together what you might want or needed to know as far as didactic info--- it is self-paced and is one way to go---there are many different learning styles and so different ways work for different folks-- if apprenticeship only works for you - you will be in good company - if you find that school is what you want or need then thats fine too... take care
#8 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all. Since I do hope to eventually become certified here it seems that a 3 year program is one of NJ's requirements. I think I will stay with National College and just spread it out over a bit more than 3 years, doing almost no book work in these first 6 months.
#9 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think self-study is a very respectful way of learning with apprenticeship. There is an erroneous belief that a formal school is the only way that people can ever learn...and I think that it limits so many women from being midwives in communities that really need them. The cost of formal education keeps women in poorer regions from following their calling.
#10 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
I think self-study is a very respectful way of learning with apprenticeship. There is an erroneous belief that a formal school is the only way that people can ever learn...and I think that it limits so many women from being midwives in communities that really need them. The cost of formal education keeps women in poorer regions from following their calling.
I totally agree with you!!!
#11 of 11 Old 02-10-2007, 07:57 PM

SeptMommy, I did the NCM program too and did my apprenticeship at the same time with a moderately busy home birth practice. I don't see why you'd drop out if you've already paid your enrollment fee! The midwife you work with would just have to agree to submit your grades and that can be as formal or informal as you care to make it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page