severe post partum gas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-18-2007, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not sure where to post this so mods move if necessary. I thought maybe someone around here may have dealt with this before...

One of my students ( I teach Bradley) is dealing with extremely painful gas since the baby's birth 2 weeks ago. It has her hunched over some of the day because of the pain. She has eliminated acidic foods and dairy but it is not going away. She went to the doc and they gave her percoset for the pain. I suggested that she get out and walk when she can and avoid gassy foods, but I am not sure what else she needs. I feel bad that she is dealing with this while trying to tend to a newborn and a 3 year old. Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this? Any remedies or suggestions?

Thanks!
Jessica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this happened to me and i didn't have much luck finding answers. it was scary painful.

i remember to some extent baking soda in warm water would help.
i also found being on my stomach and almost pressing the areas that hurt at least gave me temporary relief. curious to see what others have to say.
#3 of 10 Old 02-19-2007, 12:16 PM

There is a homeopathic remedy for trapped gas called lycopodium, also, how about a colonic? It would probably be super uncomfortable but might help in the long run.
#4 of 10 Old 02-19-2007, 03:29 PM

Has she tried "rocking" back in forth even on her own or in a rocking chair. This is suggested after having abdominal surgery and I have used it with my csections with success. Also clapping on the back may also work -- just like you would with a baby.
#5 of 10 Old 02-19-2007, 07:20 PM

I had that during pregnancy and after birth...turned out it was due to a systemic candida overgrowth and eating hard-to-digest foods (whole grains). Basically I would just lie on my side curled up until the pain went away, or lie flat on my back with my knees bent. I found that the abdominal pain was more likely to happen after I been sitting down sort of leaning forward (like at the computer) with a full bladder. If I would get up and move as soon as I felt any pressure I could usually alleviate it or at least prevent it from getting too bad.
#6 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all of your responses! I will definately share these with her. She started of probiotics a couple days ago and it seems to be helping a little...

Thanks again!
Jessica
#7 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 AM

this may be a longshot, but has she considered celiac disease?
#8 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 04:33 PM

The following is from memory (I don't have a materia medica with me), but I'm pretty sure that this is correct.

Mag phos 30x is a homeopathic remedy useful for gas pain that is relieved by curling up into a ball, i.e., a fetal position.

Staphysagria is a homeopathic that is useful for severe gas pain following abdominal surgery (such as cesarean section). You don't mention cesarean section with regard to this client, but just in case . . . .

Best,
Marla
#9 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

she was a natural vag delivery, but that info is good to know for future reference. Thanks!
#10 of 10 Old 02-21-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartandhandsdoula View Post
There is a homeopathic remedy for trapped gas called lycopodium, also, how about a colonic? It would probably be super uncomfortable but might help in the long run.
I have really benefitted from colonics in the past, but she is quite resistant to the idea. I think that it would really help, too. I have to think that the way progesterone in pregnancy slows things down as far a digestion goes that it musy be hard for some mamas to get on track after the baby. Dunno, just an idea...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page