When do you show up and how long do you stay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2003, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you are a homebirth midwife, when do you go to the woman's home? Do you wait for regular contractions? If labor progresses really slowly, do you still stay with the woman or leave and come back later? Do you ever get bored?

(I asked a birth center midwife this once and she said that if labor moves too slowly, she has the woman check into a nearby motel and come back when it picks up!)

Also, how long do you stay with the woman afterwards?

Thanks, just curious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2003, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually come when the couple wants me to. It varies - typical is when contractions are about 4 minutes apart and have been for at least an hour. However, like I said, if the couple wants me there earlier or later, it all changes.

I usually stay about three hours after the birth. Clean up, allow for private time, newborn exam, feeding the family, doing the laundry. By then, it's been three hours and I'm usually leaving.

If it's happening slowly, it all depends on what she wants. Sometimes, I'll go into town for coffee or go home for awhile, depending upon where she lives. A watched pot never boils. Other times, I hide in another part of the house sleeping, reading or knitting.

User Tag List