What exactly does a doula do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-22-2003, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know they are there to support the mother during birth, but what exactly does that mean? What does she do while she's there with you? I've also heard people mention post-partum doulas - what does a pp doula do?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just very interested in this! I'm not pg again yet, but I had a *horrible* birth experience with my ds and am looking for ways to make the next time better.
#2 of 2 Old 05-23-2003, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! A birth doula offers emotional and physical support- kind of like a "coach." Back rubs, offering suggestions of diff. positions, pep talk, ice-chip fetching, hair combing, massaging, helping decipher hospital procedures, etc... doulas don't normally do fetal heart checks, or dilation checks, or anything medical- related.

PP doulas help with the weeks after a baby is born. Help with breastfeeding, simple household chorse, a mom massage, watching baby while mom naps, ect... kind of like a professional mother's helper.

For more info you can check our the website www.dona.org. Hope this helps!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page