Sterile water papules ??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-02-2007, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me more about this? I'm 36 weeks and planning a UC, but my last labor I had horrific back pain! With #1 I was a crazy mess just trying to deal with the pain, and this time around I'd like to be more connected with the birth and not just the survival of the pain. Is this something that my husband could do for me? Or am I just being silly to consider this as an option. (DH is a paramedic and I have complete confidence he can inject anything anywhere needed as long as someone can guide him on the "how to's" of it all)

TIA!
#2 of 8 Old 03-02-2007, 01:48 PM

They are not difficult to put in. You use a fine gauge needle, like 22g or 24g, and inject medical grade sterile water, after swabbing the skin with an alcohol wipe, about 1ml (enough to make a big-sized blister) subcutaneously. He would see the skin rise over the bleb. It needs to be sting-y feeling, and it needs to be enough in each one to make a half a pea-sized blister, or a little smaller. I do four of them, over the sacrum, about 4 inches apart, 2 on either side of the spine, about 4 inches away from the spine. The relief is usually fairly instant, and lasts about 2 hours.
#3 of 8 Old 03-02-2007, 01:51 PM

I've used this a few times, in fact when I was doing hospital births we had an actual protocol for this procedure. Studies done on this have found it to be helpful....
Four injections are done with sterile water (without saline) 0.5cc subcutaneously. They are placed along the lower spine, 2 on each side.....
here, I found this link for you with a picture. It is totally worth tryiing for back labor.
Carla
#4 of 8 Old 03-02-2007, 02:43 PM

Whoops.....here is the link........(sry).....

http://www.midwivesofwa.org/sterilewaterpapules.htm
#5 of 8 Old 03-02-2007, 11:24 PM

Just wanted to clarify that the papules need to be placed intradermally, not subcutaneously. You want to raise a bleb that sort of looks like a mosquito bite. It is the same technique as placing a PPD (the skin test for tuberculosis.)
Most protocols I've seen say to place 0.1-0.5 ml sterile water in each site. (1 ml would be a lot to get in intradermally.) I've generally used 0.2-0.4 ml - usually with a 25 gauge tuberculin needle.
As for how the procedure feels, I've mostly had the response that the injections hurt like he!!, but the relief is generally very quick - as long as the pain was almost entirely back pain.
#6 of 8 Old 03-04-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the information! I showed dh the site and he said it'd be no problem. whoo-hoo!! The only thing I need to know now is.... Where do I get sterile water?? I found it on Amazon, but for like $32!!! YIKES! It's just water right? Dh already had some small needles in a drawer he accidently brought home before (he's a paramedic), but on the ambulance, they use the saline water, which mendomidwife, you said not to use this. Where do you guys get your saline water from? Is $32 a reasonable price? Would it not work with the saline water? Could I maybe just boil water to sterilize it? Thanks for all your help ladies!
#7 of 8 Old 03-04-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

OH... nevermind!! We've got sterile water already. It says "sterile water for irrigation, not for injection" but I guess sterile water is sterile water!
#8 of 8 Old 03-05-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes View Post
OH... nevermind!! We've got sterile water already. It says "sterile water for irrigation, not for injection" but I guess sterile water is sterile water!
That's the stuff. If your husband's paramedic service is like my DH's, they will give you the sterile water - they always have so much of it around. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page