Mothering Forum banner

water broke... a little - last night need advice

698 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  SublimeBirthGirl 
#1 ·
I am 39 weeks. plannning homebirth, last night I was in my nightly squat pose and felt a very faint pop sensation and out about 1/2 cup of clear fluid. was liquidy for a awhile then nothing. I have had no regular or systematic contractions and nothing tremendously more than uncomfortable. I was really nauseus today from about 10 am till noon then that also went away.
starting to feel concerned - I am not taking any baths , nothing going anywhere near the area... but still getting alittle concerned. does anyone have advice or experience with this? my mw said to just relax for now and that it could be a secondary sac that broke? not sure - sounded like she thought that there was still a layer intact since it doesn't seem like anything has come out since last night event.
thanks

#2 ·
Hello!
Actually, this happened to me with my second baby. I had the birthing tub ready to go and everything thinking this was "it"! My MW told me to keep anything out of my vagina (like fingers to check for dialation) and that if I was "in labor" it would happen eventually. I actually went to her office to get checked out for my mother's benefit and she didn't see any evidence of amniotic fluid the next day though my water technically did break. I went into "real labor" a month later (6 days overdue) and out came my baby! With my first my water broke also and I had no cx for over 24 hours - you'll know when it's time! I would write more but my dd#2 is into something in the kitchen...oh the joys of toddlerhood! :) And congrats on your impending arrival!!!

P.S.- Forgot to add that my sac actually did have two layers - My water didn't break with #2 until I was pushing. MW showed me the sac after delivery and said, "See...you had two layers. Cool, huh?"

#3 ·
Not a midwife here, but i have to agree with yours. this is actually more common than you would think. You very well could go into labor soon and the Nausea can often be another sign of labor nearing.

as you mentioned, dont let anyone near there. and jsut relax. sleep, eat, maybe take a nice walk. that can often get things going if it is time.

If you have not had anymore leaking then you likely wont until you are really in labor and your water "really" breaks if ykwim.

i would simply watch for signs of a fever, and let your midwife know if you get one.
Dont stress about it. Stress and anxiety alone could keep your body from going into labor as it would otherwise. Use this time to care for yourself, talk to your baby and prepare the both of you to meet!!

Good luck and Ill be watching for your birth story soon!

#6 ·
There are two sacs - chorion, amnion. They usually break 'together' but sometimes you can get them to break separately. Treat yourself as though they're both broken (i.e. keep things out of there, stay hydrated and rested, take your temp if you feel icky), and do a little reading on Spinning Babies.
Sometimes some fetal positioning can help get things going if they're not getting started due to a funky position. If you feel like the baby's in a good position already, just try to take it easy and see what happens over the next few days!

#7 ·
To add to dynamicdoula's post, there is amniotic fluid between the amnion and the chorion, as much as several tablespoons, so that very well could be what happened. Many MWs believe that the membrane can seal itself back up, too. Regardless, I would absolutely treat it as though you know both are ruptured.

#8 ·
I would also have to agree with the others. And depending on the baby's position, s/he could be "plugging" the the leak. As long as baby is still active and you are well, just take good care of yourself, get some rest...sounds like labor will be starting soon.
Best wishes!

#9 ·
so update is that mw thinks it was the outer layer. nothing, absolutely nothing, leaking since and less contractions than before all this hapenned! I don't think it is hapenning anytime soon. thanks for all your stories and thoughts it helped me feel more comfortable - the outside world made me super freaky about infection risk. I am taking my pulse regularly just to watch for a rise and I think just to be safe I will be showering instead of bath. I wil have some extra c and relax - I think this baby knows what they are doing.
also, the baby has been in loa position and engaged for many weeks. the back may be a little more turned towards left with chest out but other than that I think its a good position.
thank you all again for being such a great support, if I had listened to my sis I would prob be in hosp. with a pit right now... she worries (even though she has had 2 homebirths herself!)

#10 ·
FWIW, taking a bath doesn't increase your risk of infection even if your BOW is ruptured. But yeah, typically a broken BOW doesn't just stop leaking, that's for sure. I had only a high leak or something w/ my 1st and I still trickled constantly the entire 27+ hours it took for her to be born!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.