Causes for a bicornate uterus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know any causes? Or explanations? One of my best friends has a bicornate uterus and although she has done a ton of research on it she says she can't find a reason or a how. She's curious. I'm curious too. She's had a pregnancy in each side; one pregnancy was a lot easier than the other.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#2 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 02:44 AM

There isn't really a reason for it; it's a variety of a Mullerian anomaly that occurs early in gestation. I've never heard of anything associated with an increased risk of that kind of anomaly; anyone else?

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#3 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
maybe exposure to testosterone/ adrenal problems under 14 weeks--- or possibly other hormones like DES?
#4 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 03:28 AM

A doctor I work with explained it this way, don't know if it's accurate, but it makes sense to me:

Our organs develop from each side and join together in the middle (think a piece of pottery with a seam down the center where the two halves fuse). In a double uterus situation, each half of the organ overdevelops into nearly a whole organ, and the two organs fuse, rather than just being halves that fuse. In a bicornate situation, it's not that two whole uterii form, but it's like an intermediary step between two uterii and normal development.

Hope that makes sense. Again, don't have the source to site, except "my doctor friend said..." But she's a good one, and I trust her, and as I said above, it makes intuitive sense to me.
#5 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 04:17 AM

It's an abnormality that doesn't usually interfere with having babies, so it continues on. Not a lot of evolutionary pressure to reduce the incidence.

The why is a signalling issue on a molecular level - like any doubling abnormality. It could be that the cells don't signal loud enough (genes), or someone other molecule appears and drowns out the true signal (environmental). Consider a similar issue, like cleft palate - why don't the sides join properly? There's a genetic component (it's more common in england) and an evironmental component (in some cases folic acid deficency impairs the ability of the cells to do their job) and a chance component (that crazy dna! almost always dividing properly...except the 5% that doesn't and has to be fixed...except when it doesn't get fixed). It could happen for any of those reasons or a combination.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#6 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama View Post
There isn't really a reason for it; it's a variety of a Mullerian anomaly that occurs early in gestation. I've never heard of anything associated with an increased risk of that kind of anomaly; anyone else?
Um yes. I have one and there is all kinds of increased risks with having one. Infertility, miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, placenta previa, placental abruption, placental accretia, IUGR, fetal anomalies - often with the limbs, breech presentations - often not cut and dry, malposition, premature rupture of membranes, premature birth and uterine rupture (even if you have never been cut before).

Mullerian anomalies occur in the beginning stages of fetal development. They can occur for a variety of reasons. Sometimes there is a genetic compononent, sometimes not. It could just be random or caused by something ingested by the mother during pregnancy or enviromental.

There is a yahoo support group for Mullerian Anomalies, excellent resource for information.
#7 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
It's an abnormality that doesn't usually interfere with having babies, so it continues on.
This really isn't accurate. While there are lots of us who have been able to have babies, its often been a struggle to stay pregnant and make it to term.
#8 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Having a vet tech degree, I can tell you that most animals are actually supposed to have a bicornate uterus - cats, dogs, cows, horses, rodents, etc. If you believe in evolution, then we still carry some genetics from our ancestors in favor of a bicornate uterus. So I would guess it is mostly genetic.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#9 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Um yes. I have one and there is all kinds of increased risks with having one.
I took Maxmama's comment to mean that she hasn't heard of anything a mama could do/not do that would cause her offspring to develop a bicornuate uterus.
#10 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
excellent description Alison, I thought the question was what might cause it not the developmental steps-- lack of fully coming together- the uterus instead of being shaped like a pear- is more like 2 zucchinis with more or less shared space depending on when the fusing stopped- fully fused with a division down the middle is a septate uterus (no longer a bicornate uterus) - lots of fertility problems, can cause breech presentation, uterine rupture, preterm labor, IUGR -- and in one study I read 4 times the increased risk of fetal anomalies in particular ---nasal hypoplasia, omphalocele, limb deficiencies, teratomas, and acardia-anencephaly.
--------------------------------------------------
here is info from a review done in 1998 on different forms of mullerian duct anomalies--

"Uterine anomalies were identified in 1 in 594 fertile women (0.17%) and in 1 in 29 infertile women (3.5%). This difference was statistically significant (chi 2 = 3,424, df = 1, P < .00001). The prevalence of uterine anomalies in the general population was 1 in 201 women (0.50%). Their distribution was: 7% arcuate, 34% septate, 39% bicornuate, 11% didelphic, 5% unicornuate, and 4% hypoplastic/aplastic/solid and other forms."
#11 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I will pass the info along.

Why does it lead to more breech presentations?

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#12 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Lack of room to move - it makes the uterus less roomy.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#13 of 16 Old 03-16-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
Thanks everyone. I will pass the info along.

Why does it lead to more breech presentations?
It has to do with the shape of the uterus and the running out of room. When a uterus is deformed it doesn't exactly have the same amount of space nor does it always stretch like a non deformed uterus. My uterus is not completely divided, but one side is bigger. The septum can get in the way of the baby turning to the head down position if it gets too big.

I will give examples of my first two full term pregnancies and their presentations. My first baby was a weird transverse. her head and torso were on the right side (my bigger side) but her legs were hooked around the septum and in the lower left hand side of my uterus. My son, who was nearly a pound bigger was vertex, but was also in a weird position. His body was on the right side and his head was to the left of my cervix - like in my hip and his shoulder presented against the cervix. He was like that from 28 weeks onward. My last baby was vertex, exactly the way she should be - and she was like that from about 28-29 weeks onward. This baby is in the same position but was able to flip around until just a few weeks ago - however she is smaller than my last baby. I think they move to the position that gives them the most room. However I am convinced that this baby I am carrying is pissed that she can't be breech because she tries to turn and can't. I can feel her head move to a certain point and then she goes back.
#14 of 16 Old 03-17-2007, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting info!

My friend went to the Yahoo group and apparently she has always thought she has a bicornate uterus but she actually has a didelphys uterus. She's seen the phrase on her charts but always thought it was the same thing.

treehugger.gif Erika
#15 of 16 Old 03-17-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
Interesting info!

My friend went to the Yahoo group and apparently she has always thought she has a bicornate uterus but she actually has a didelphys uterus. She's seen the phrase on her charts but always thought it was the same thing.
A lot of doctors screw it up because most just don't have that much experience with it. REs are more familiar with as are peris just because of infertility issues and risk issues but some OBs just have no clue. My first one sure didn't and it was to my detriment even though I clearly showed signs that something wasn't right with my uterus. My second OB wasn't very familiar with it either but when I was her patient she did a lot of research and called other doctors who were. My current OB is more familiar with it, but she has been practicing for 20 years and gets a lot of referrals from the RE down the hall.
#16 of 16 Old 03-17-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Um yes. I have one and there is all kinds of increased risks with having one. Infertility, miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, placenta previa, placental abruption, placental accretia, IUGR, fetal anomalies - often with the limbs, breech presentations - often not cut and dry, malposition, premature rupture of membranes, premature birth and uterine rupture (even if you have never been cut before).

Mullerian anomalies occur in the beginning stages of fetal development. They can occur for a variety of reasons. Sometimes there is a genetic compononent, sometimes not. It could just be random or caused by something ingested by the mother during pregnancy or enviromental.

There is a yahoo support group for Mullerian Anomalies, excellent resource for information.
No, I meant that I'd never heard of an environmental factor increasing the risk of Mullerian anomalies, not that the anomaly had no risks. (My mom had a bicornuate uterus with septum and at least seven miscarriages related to site of implantation, so I know there are possible sequelae)

Off to check out the support group; my OBs and even my texts always claimed Mullerians were random. Oh well -- not the first time they (and I) have been wrong!

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page