I've been lurking since having Griffin 11 days after my "due date" so I never really got to advocate for going over 42 weeks! I haven't got a chance to put my whole birth story down yet. I really need to, but here I just want to address the mec issue that came up.
We just keep doing supportive things for the pregnancy & we finally had sex. That seems to be what did it! My waters broke about quarter to 4 that morning. I caught the forewaters in the baby tub & saw they were very thick with mec, not just "stained" ~ I wasn't too worried about distress, Griffin was super active after we had sex, so I figured that's when his passed the mec. We were in active labor by 5am & doing really well about 8am, but as more waters passed MW could see they were still very thick. The baby was handling labor really well, no problems there, but we were concerned with the mec & risk of aspiration. My MW said it was the thickest heaviset mec she'd ever seen & she has never transported for mec before. It was always part of my birth plan to be in the safest place for the baby based on our specific situation. It took us about 30 minutes to discuss our options & decide that we wanted to birth @ our hospital of choice so that if Griffin needed anything more than we could do @ home for the possibility of mec aspiration after he was born we would have it.
It wasn't really a hard decision, but we knew it would be a trade off. We worked really hard @ the hospital to stay focused & my labor never stalled as I had always feared a hospital transfer would. I progressed ahead of their time schedule (praise god) & pushed Griffin out @ 3:41pm. I did miss having him placed on my belly & the cord was cut immediately, but I got him back very quicky, he never left the room & was crying so loud they didn't have to do the deep suctioning they were prepared for. HIs apgars were 8 & 8. BTW as far as being "over due" he was only 7lbs 6 oz, 20 in long, pretty skinny, & still had vernix! He definitely wasn't postmature!
well, I guess this gets me a good start on my birth story! It is pretty easy @ 8 days postpartum to 2nd guess myself, but I know we made the right decision for us after praying for guidance & being within a circle of protection. Still, it is disappointing to not have birthed @ home. However, even if we'd been @ home, it wouldn't have been what I had visualized bcz it went so fast! Now I'm even more motivated to have baby #2
~ is wanting a home birth a good reason??