Any CPM's to be out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-03-2003, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finished up my CPM application (PEP) yesterday and I'm getting ready to ship it off. Anybody else in the same boat? How are you preparing for the skills assessment and the exam? Just looking for some advice. I have two little ones, am getting ready to move, and think I have absolutely lost my mind. But that's another post....Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 06-09-2003, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I took the exam two years ago. I read "Myles texbook for midwives " and Anne Frye's "Holistic Midwifery" cover to cover to prepare for the exam. I was not near as hard as I thought it would be. I also had a little one and one on the way. It was difficult but doable. Good Luck!
Emily

Mom to 6 with #7 on the way Sept 2014
#3 of 9 Old 06-09-2003, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement. Today it is feeling like an impossible feat! It's nice to hear of someone who was in the same boat and came out successful.
#4 of 9 Old 06-09-2003, 05:59 PM

I'm not there yet but I hope to be soon! Our program incorporates the skills so all we have to do is sit the NARM. They gave us a big long list of books but everyone who has already sat the test says Varney's is what it is all about.

Good luck!!!

Amy

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#5 of 9 Old 06-09-2003, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

That makes sense that Varney would be the best source to focus on since, to me, it's a mix of the midwifery model and the medical model. Emilyrosechild, did you have to take the skills assessment or did you go through a MEAC accredited program?
#6 of 9 Old 06-09-2003, 08:25 PM

Oh, and everyone who told me to study Varney's also said to pay special attention to the herbal and nutritional info in Holistic Midwifery.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#7 of 9 Old 06-09-2003, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I went through a meac accredited program in Utah. I also heard varney was the way to go but found that too hard to wade through "Myles textbook" much more readable. Also when I was taking it Anne Frye was on the board making questions so I think hers would be a valuable read. I found the test so easy I think anyone who has made midwifery a study would be able to pass it. It was a very good experience though it gave me confidence that I knew something about birth. I can't wait to be stable enough to practise we have moved so much since I graduated.
Emily

Mom to 6 with #7 on the way Sept 2014
#8 of 9 Old 06-10-2003, 09:02 PM

I am hoping to be in that boat soon
and by the way , Sheeny, I have a 4 year old Max too
I have a preceptor and access to homebirths, but the school for licensing is so far away , How did you guys do it?n Do you all live inthe same town as school?
The state of Fl will not accept any distance courses for licensure so It looks like CPM will be the way I go first anyways...
#9 of 9 Old 06-10-2003, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Marymom,
With the PEP (portfolio evaluation process) you don't have to go through an accredited school. This is the route I've taken. Just establish an apprenticeship and start working towards all the requirements for an apprenticeship based education. Then, you will apply by submitting all of your information, take a skills assessment test, and then finally sit for the exam. If this is what you're interested in doing, I would recommend going ahead and spending the $50 for the candidate information bulletin and application packet just so you can keep it updated throughout your apprenticeship. It was a pain in the rear for me and my preceptor to have to assemble all the information post-facto. So, in a long-winded response, no- I didn't go through a program or school. It was just me and my sweet midwife, who has also caught both my boys and who I am delighted to be midwifing later this month! Ooh, what fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page