Mothering Forum banner

Help! Ways to naturally induce labor....

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  CEG 
#1 ·
My cousin is due in a couple weeks and she has a scheduled induction for next week. Even though the babe looks to be only about 6 1/2 pounds right now. I dont know what she is thinking.

I emailed her to tell her that I was induced and REALLY wish I wasnt. It was extremely painful and is also unnecessary most of the time. I told her that babies usually come when they are ready. It is not very safe to force them to come-especially since they cant be completely sure that the babe is 6 1/2 pounds. He could be smaller or larger. What is the rush?

Anyway, I would like to also email her some advice on ways to naturally induce labor so that she has that information as well. I am going to suggest accupuncture if she goes overdue...any more ideas? There are some herbal remedies and such. Any help would be GREAT!

-Hannah

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by heartandhandsdoula View Post
caullophyllum and cimicefuga but she would need someone to tell her how to administer it since they are homeopathic.n Also borage oil on the cervix will help it to soften.
What are they and where can she get them?

#4 ·
I'm not sure "natural" induction methods work any better than pitocin and the like. If her body isn't ready it's still going to be hard to force it into labor and the outcome could be the same.

That said, when I was 41w and really losing it, my MW prescribed a homeopathic called gelsemium, which is for anxiety related to the uterus, according to the label (I was pretty stressed--feeling like my body was breaking down and feeling guilty about displacing dd1). I relaxed, ate a good dinner, and then got out my breast pump. Within a half hour I was in labor. We'd also done quite a bit of BD to get things softened up, too.

But this all worked because my body was ready. I was dilating, softened, and my baby was mature. I'm not sure if would have worked if I wasn't already there.

#5 ·
In my experience, "natural" methods of induction really only work if your body is ready to give birth.

I know that you can only provide her information, but I would encourage her to run as fast as she could from any care provider who is scheduling an induction. Does she realize her risk of having a cesarean is much higher with induction??

That being said, some of the things that we suggest to moms who want to try to get things started themselves is: nipple stimulation (breast pump is an easy way to do this), lots of orgasmic sex, and homeopathics Cimicifuga and Caulophyllum (both found in all HFS).

Seriously, emphasize to her that she CAN look for a different care provider and switch, even this far along in her pregnancy. It happens all the time.

#6 ·
There is very little that can be done to naturally induce labor before the baby is ready... with good reason, it is a bad idea. Even medical inductions can fail when baby is not good and ready... which is why so many inductions lead to c-sections.

Inducing before dates for no reason is wrong... I wish people wouldn't do it.
:

#7 ·
A combination of 2 doses of castor oil cocktail, evening primrose oil (same as borage oil?) vaginally for several weeks, and demanding sex from my husband put me in to labor at 40w 3 d. My first was born after induction at 42w 2 d. I did not care to repeat the experience.

I hope your friend changes her mind, but I would imagine her OB has already convinced her. Good luck.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.