calcified placenta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2007, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple of weeks ago I posted about pregnant mothers who smoke. Well, I attended the birth. It was AWESOME! Homebirth is SO much more peaceful than in a hospital! I am sooo hooked now.

Anyway, I'm still trying to process a few things about the birth. The BOW was intact the whole labor. We kept waiting for her to feel like she needed to push, it didn't come. She had back labor instead. After 2 or 3 hours she requested AROM when she never got the urge to push...she said it felt like if only the water would break she could birth the baby. So the MW broke her water. The baby practically fell out! Seriously, she went from the head is low, but you couldn't see it to: Look! Baby is crowning...Oh on second thought he was born! It happened incrediably quick! But I'm wondering if that was just her body knowing it had to give birth quickly. When the baby was born, the cord was not pulsing. The placenta followed very quickly after the birth, it was also not pulsing. On close examination of the placenta, 3/4 of it was calcified! Baby looked good and she did extremly well. There were no complications.

So what could have caused the placenta to stop pulsing like that? (It was an 8 hour labor.) If the baby wouldn't have been born so quickly...we would have had major complications with the baby. Could breaking her water have caused it to stop pulsing since only 1/4 of the placenta was functioning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 10:49 AM

What were baby's heart tones doing during those two hours of not pushing? What was baby's heart rate at birth?

Obviously, if the cord wasn't working at birth, it had just happened or you would have seen evidence of fetal distress in the heart tones. I wonder if it has more to do with the stress of "falling out" of mom than the calcified placenta?

I'm sure someone with more experience can answer more clearly, but IME, calcifications are usually associated with late (postdates) babies, unhealthy pregnancies (smoking), and poor diet (too much sugar).

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure how long she was at complete... Think she more less got "stuck" in those couple of hours. We just kept thinking she would get the urge to push really soon....and it took those several hours.

I don't know specifically what the FHT were, but I know the MW said they were good. However, I don't recall them checking the FHT that much right before the birth. So we could have missed signs that something was up... Maybe I just missed it... I'll talk to the MW about it.

With a correct due date- baby was 1 day early... and no other signs of post dates. We believe the mother didn't quit smoking as much as she lead us to believe. So we're pretty confident the calcified placenta was from smoking. Diet was okay...

User Tag List