CNMs and clinicals - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do CNMs get their clinical hours? I'm looking at a distance program that is associated with a major university system but I can't find any information about clinicals.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#2 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Usually it us up to you to find an OB practice or CNM Practice to take you on and supervise your clinical time. Sometimes the program will have sites that are willing to do that, but mostly it is up to the student to find someone that is willing to work with them.

Carla
#3 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm... the school I'm looking at is part of the UNC system, I wonder if that will make it any easier.

Sigh. Why is this all so hard.

#4 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 02:48 PM

I did not arrange any of my own clinicals - my program director arranged all of our clinicals. I got some say in where I went - I was unhappy with one preceptor and arranged a change to another preceptor, and she tried to find clinicals closer to my home.

But I do know from talking to other students at the ACNM annual meeting that other programs do not always arrange clinicals. Email whoever is the contact person for the school on the ACNM site here - http://www.acnm.org/careers.cfm?id=105 - and ask them how hard it is for their students to find clinical sites.

You might want to think about becoming active in your local ACNM chapter, as that could be a way to find a preceptor. My chapter is free for students to join, and you don't have to join ACNM to belong to the chapter. http://www.midwife.org/chapters.cfm
#5 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 04:25 PM

[QUOTE=Sheena;7719811]Hmm... the school I'm looking at is part of the UNC system, I wonder if that will make it any easier.

It might....if they have agreements with a hospital(s) or clinic that provide OB care, they will cycle you through their system in different fields...(Prenatal, OB, PP).
Even the distance programs sometimes have suggestions for preceptors, but there are liability issues, so some do not.
Emailing the program administrator is the best idea....
I precepted a FNS student for one semester - it was up to her to find a mentor and then I had to fill out a lot of paperwork and make sure that she had malpractice insurance.

Carla
#6 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so attracted to Frontier but my fear of not being able to find a willing preceptor in my area (North Carolina) overrules my desire to go through them.

Thanks for the replies, I will email the program on monday.

#7 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 09:30 PM

Maybe it's just because I'm in the midwest, but it seems like about half of the hospital-based midwives in my area graduated from Frontier. Would you be willing to work in a hospital practice for your clinicals? You might find them friendlier than you might expect. I would bet that the folks at Frontier would have some info about where students near you have worked in the past, too.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#8 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Unless the laws change (and hopefully they will) I will have to depend on hospitals for clinicals. Right now there is only one homebirth CNM in my state and AFAIK she does not take apprentices. Only one birth center too and I'm pretty sure they are overrun with requests. I'm OK with hospitals because I spent several years as a homebirth apprentice and I continue to attend births as a DEM... and will continue to until the law changes.

#9 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena View Post
I'm so attracted to Frontier but my fear of not being able to find a willing preceptor in my area (North Carolina) overrules my desire to go through them.
I'm in Denver and have occasion to be at the University of Colorado a few times a year for transfer of care needs. They have their own CNM program and usually have a few Frontier students. So if you like Frontier and UNC has a program but you don't want to go there per se, you could still get clinicals done while a Frontier student.
#10 of 18 Old 04-02-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena View Post

Thanks for the replies, I will email the program on monday.
I've been thinking about Frontier too, but this is exactly my concern. I talked with a CNM locally who went through Frontier and had to leave her family for months to get her clinicals done.

I will talk to her when the time comes if she's still here and hope that she'll feel experienced enough to precept of course- but I don't have high hopes other than that...

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#11 of 18 Old 04-02-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Leaving to get clinicals is exactly what I want to avoid. If I had wanted to do that I wouldn't have had such a hard time getting clinicals through my CPM school.

#12 of 18 Old 04-03-2007, 08:06 PM

I know... I actually think I'd rather move to a big city with a CNM program and have it all done for me. Plus, I'd get tons of varied experience. It won't be that way where I live now...

Unfortunately, DP HATES to move. He is already really stressed out at the thought of moving in a couple of years, lol. So we'll see I guess.

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#13 of 18 Old 04-04-2007, 02:25 PM

"Unless the laws change (and hopefully they will) I will have to depend on hospitals for clinicals. Right now there is only one homebirth CNM in my state and AFAIK she does not take apprentices. Only one birth center too and I'm pretty sure they are overrun with requests. I'm OK with hospitals because I spent several years as a homebirth apprentice and I continue to attend births as a DEM... and will continue to until the law changes."

What law has to change? Making CPMs legal? Can CPMs supervise the clinicals of CNM students? There are actually 4 CNMs with homebirth practice in the state. I am curious how that attending births as a DEM and being a homebirth apprentice makes you OK with hospitals? Were you able to attend births in the hospital as a DEM?

Rebecca
#14 of 18 Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Wait, what? I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at, Rebecca.

I meant laws regarding the supervising of CNMs by physicians. Nothing to do with CPM law. And what I meant when I said "until the law changes" is that once the CPMs become legal, depending on whether or not that law affects the DEMs, I will not be practicing as a DEM anymore.

What I meant about being OK with hospitals (should have read "with doing clinicals in hospitals") is that I feel like I have a good foundation in homebirth such that I won't become brainwashed by the medical model.

My mistake about how many CNMs there are.

#15 of 18 Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Are you planning on continuing your midwifery practice while at Frontier? I hear that is a big no-no from someone booted out of the program for doing so. My preceptor is precepting a CNEP student finishing her level 1 and 2, who sits on her hands mostly because of the strict guidelines of no clinicals until they are assigned in level 3 (think I'm getting the levels right <g>).
#16 of 18 Old 04-04-2007, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Me? No... but I'm not planning to attend Frontier. It's too $$$, I think.

#17 of 18 Old 04-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirth1 View Post
"Unless the laws change (and hopefully they will) I will have to depend on hospitals for clinicals. Right now there is only one homebirth CNM in my state and AFAIK she does not take apprentices. Only one birth center too and I'm pretty sure they are overrun with requests. I'm OK with hospitals because I spent several years as a homebirth apprentice and I continue to attend births as a DEM... and will continue to until the law changes."

What law has to change? Making CPMs legal? Can CPMs supervise the clinicals of CNM students? There are actually 4 CNMs with homebirth practice in the state. I am curious how that attending births as a DEM and being a homebirth apprentice makes you OK with hospitals? Were you able to attend births in the hospital as a DEM?

Rebecca
I'm confused-er...this seems a little snarky or am I reading you wrong.? Do you mean OK as in able to attend or OK as in fine with as a choice over homebirthing? The OP never said or implied she would be morally "OK" with hospital births vs. homebirths.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#18 of 18 Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nannymom, I kind of felt like there was the implication that I was saying I'm ok with births in hospitals as well... Maybe Rebecca will come back and clarify what, exactly, she was asking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page