how are vbacs different? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The other thread about doulas not attending vbacs just got me thinking ..as a midwife or a doula, is attending a vbac different than attending a non-vbac birth? If so, how?

Just curious!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for me, the actual labor/birth is not any different.
#3 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 07:09 PM

Like I said in my post on the other thread: the VBACing mother may have white-coat fear (more intensely) and may not trust their body as fully as someone who has already given birth vaginally. I see you are a VBAC mom also. We have different experiences that lead to our previous birth experiences. We may carry over fears from those births. If we had a long drawn out birth that did not progress that lead to a cesarean birth, we may secretly (or not so secretly) fear this happening again. If we had a cesarean birth because the baby "was too big".... we might mistrust our body to be able to birth any size baby.... Understand? What really helped me was the book Birthing From Within. It's best to iliminate all fears, or at least get control of them. Not all fears are just in our heads, some of them can have real basis. So we need to work through those ahead of time. If something does come up, you already know how to handle those fears.... My VBAC client was sure if she got the epidural, her chances for having a successful VBAC were over. Most of the time we discourage epidural, but in her long labor, she was able to cope better and allow her body to continue to open.... She was so disappointed in herself because she had planned a natural VBAC but ended up accepting the epidural. However, she got a VERY low dose, labored down, and had a successful VBAC! It was very challenging supporting her. Between expansions she was disappointed in herself for accepting the epidural- she didn't think she would get her VBAC, during expansions she cursed and wanted a higher dose of the epidural...

Here is a good article to read through: http://www.vbac.com/fordoulas.html

For me, when attempting my VBA2C, I was VERY determined to succeed. I know I was so determined I couldn't see that it wasn't working. I had closed my eyes to other options. My dear sweet doula had to bring me back to reality.... I just knew if I did everything right, I would get my VBAC. Nothing else would do... I had labored for so long my judgement became clouded. That was 2 years ago before I became a doula. I am so thankful my doula talked some sense into me.... So my best advice for you is to work through ALL your fears, consider your options if you need them and make sure you are considering all the pros and cons. I would have been successful in my VBAC if there weren't circumstances out of my control.... Which was a hard lesson for me to learn- there are some things that we just can't control.

Good luck to you. Make sure you come back here and post your HBA2C birth story. VBAC stories are the best!
#4 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 07:37 PM

IME the physical nature of the birth is not usually any different, I wouldn't treat the mom any differently although some times protocols might require more monitoring that is not in all cases.

Sometimes there are mental roadblocks to be overcome and they can manifest physically. Like the PP said a woman's trust in her own body might be damaged. In some cases there is left over trauma and let's say the surgery was performed for supposed CPD and threats about shoulder dystocia had been made the mom might have some very last minute pushing fears that she has to work through. Or if the section was performed because of failure to progress past 7cm the mom might be very scared of not making it past 7 again, she might not be able to fully let go. Not all of the time, sometimes women are in the right place mentally before the onset of labor but sometimes they have to get there during labor.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#5 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 11:07 PM

One thing that I have noticed is that at any point, the doc is usually willing to do surgery. He or she may not have been very supportive of a VBAC to begin with. So all the mama has to do is say the words, "I want this baby out," and they will prep her.

This is hard because as doulas, we know that labor can be really challenging. But that's not the best reason to go with surgery. With a VBAC, the mom has to really want a vaginal birth because we won't have much resistance in many hospital settings if she changes her mind or is getting tired or if the labor is not progressing "just so."

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#6 of 10 Old 04-07-2007, 01:30 AM

Another difference in some hospitals is that they require VBACs to stay on the monitors. This restraint can make a huge difference, not only on the mom's ability to move freely but also on her emotionally. Constant monitoring implies increased danger.
#7 of 10 Old 04-07-2007, 05:43 PM

I think the subconscious fears (planted by docs, friends & family, the media) are a tremendous hindrance to the mom planning to VBAC. In advance of labor these fears may hinder the onset of labor. MOST moms I have supported, however, report NOT thinking about the possibilty of rupture or other complications DURING labor itself. The majority of VBAC labors that I have supported have tended to be fairly "normal".
#8 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 01:43 AM

I have my first VBAC mom due on the 11th. I'll let you know then-lol! One thing my trainer told us is that after the first initial meeting, she doesn't treat the woman like a "vbac client". Unless the client brings up issues directly relating to VBAC, she thinks it's best to treat all clients equally. I would imagine that it's not very much fun to constantly be reminded that you're "attempting" a vaginal birth.

#9 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 02:09 AM

I think every VBAC client is different.

My best friend had 2 vaginal births and then a c-s for a second twin who was transverse, and the provider refused to try and turn the baby. Anyway, my best friend had confidence from her first two births that she could vaginally birth a baby.

However, I think maybe with a client who hasn't had a vaginal birth, she might have issues -- conscious or not -- that her body isn't capable.

To go on a tangent, so do a lot of primips, in my experience. The c-s rate with a primip in a hospital is very high, and sometimes I feel like providers see women as guilty of not being able to birth before until they are PROVEN innocent, ya know? Makes me sad. I breathe a huge sigh of relief when I have a primip who has a vaginal birth. HBAC is illegal in our state, so I feel like those who have a c-s always have a mark on them.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#10 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I feel like providers see women as guilty of not being able to birth before until they are PROVEN innocent, ya know?
That's actually true. That's why a woman who has had a vaginal birth is said to have a "proven" pelvis.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page