Male Midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-07-2003, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This recently came up for discussion in class.
What do you think of male midwives, or men wanting to become midwives? Do you think men would make good midwives? Explain, please!
#2 of 10 Old 06-07-2003, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am sure a man wouild make a fine midwife. they are sorta in the same ring as women midwives who have never actually had a baby. no person experiance but they still have all the ability to be taught the things they need to know. some women only see male Dr. so they should have a midwife available to them. When I had my first my OB nurse was a man anbd he was great. much better than any of the women nurses.

Me? not in a million years. But then again I would only use a midwife who had children. I want someone who has been there done that. also I will only see women for things that it involves getting undressed for.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 10 Old 06-07-2003, 03:20 PM

Since I have met many women midwives who I don't like or respect very much, or who have not given birth, or not vaginally...I see no reason a man can't be a good midwife. Compassion and committed to a nonmedical model of birth does not seem gender-specific to me. When I wanted DH to meet the male midwife I knew, (due to complications I didn't end up using him) he was uncertain but couldn't indentify why...but though male obs were normal and fine...mostly because he'd never thought about it. Of the run of the mill medwives around here, I thought he seemed like a very good option. Some peole would not want a non-female ob either, which is fine, but I'd be ok with it. I figure he must have respect for women and for birth if he'd enter a field where he's be not too popular, marginalized and poorly paid! .

Midwives and nurses, and elementary and preschool teaching, have a stigma of being female-only caretaking jobs, so men in it are considered freaks, basically. Which is too bad. I know nurturing men, and I'd like to think we are growing more of them here at MDC.
#4 of 10 Old 06-07-2003, 06:48 PM

I'm sure a man could make a fine midwife but I am of the belief that men do not belong in the birthing world. I would never hire a male midwife, I won't even see a man gyne if I have a medical need. Just my personal opinion.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#5 of 10 Old 06-07-2003, 08:25 PM

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#6 of 10 Old 06-07-2003, 08:28 PM

I have had awesome male doctors and nurses and I'd have a male midwife if I agreed with the way he practiced and I trusted his knowledge.
#7 of 10 Old 06-10-2003, 02:42 PM

I think anybody could make a good midwife if they are doing it for the right reasons and believe in trusting the mama. I can also understand why some people prefer to only see female ob's and midwives.

I had a male ob nurse when I had dd and for some reason he brought so much more comfort to me than the women there (or dh for that matter!) He was very comforting and understanding and patient. He talked me through contractions and held my hand. There was something very soothing about him that gave me stregnth. At one point, during pushing, he was holding my hand and let go to get something..I yelled at him "don't let go of my hand!" much to my and dh's surprise!! so, my opinion is that males CAN find a place in the birthing world
#8 of 10 Old 06-12-2003, 05:18 PM

I think a male midwife (midhusband?) is odd, but OK. I've seen male OB/GYNS; one of my favorites in the group was a guy. But I think a male doula is different. I think (and you're more than welcome to disagree) that a doula is there for comfort and support and an "I know you can do it because I did it" type of feeling. I don't think a guy can do that. I think there's a spectrum with medical at one end and emotional at the other. OB/GYN are on the medical end, midwives are between the medical endpoint and the middle of the specturm, while doulas are a lot closer to the emotional end. Does that make sense?

~Melissa
#9 of 10 Old 06-18-2003, 08:13 PM

I had a male midwife w/ my second & he was great! he was also my only choice for a non-interventive homebirth as the other midwives in the area were not comfy w/ homebirth & there were no non-CNM's to be found. Our insurance also covered his service, which was nice. I am now a homebirth midwife & that birth was 20 years ago & I still consider him to be non-interventive & a great midwife. Karen of BirthTender
#10 of 10 Old 06-21-2003, 07:59 PM

I wouldn't want anyone to attend my birth if they had not already themselves had the kind of birth I wanted.
That's my only requirement!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page