GBS question? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, I don't know much about GBS. But I have heard that once you're GBS+ for a pregnancy, you always are for subsequent pregnancies. Is this true? Also, a good friend of mine said that because she was GBS+ that she wasn't even allowed to get out of bed.

What's the deal with being GBS+? Is it really necessary to be constricted? Don't they usually give IV antibiotics during labour? Is that really necessary or are there alternatives?

Anyone who can give me all the info I need on it (or direct me to some web sites with a lot of info on it) I will love you forever. She just found out she's pregnant again and I would like to let her know what her natural birthing and traditional hospital birth alternatives are.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope. GBS colonization of the intestines and vagina comes and goes. She can choose to be tested again at 36 weeks. Typically, there is a 99% chance that your status wouldn't change in 4 weeks between then and birth, but over the course of a year? It definitely changes.

If she were again colonized with GBS and wanted antibiotic prophylaxis, she would need antibiotics every 4 hours. There's no need to stay in bed - even though the antibiotics are IV, it's only 20 minutes at a time. You can move around during that 20 minutes, too, with a pole on wheels.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 04-09-2007, 05:59 PM

:

Also, it's important that they not break her water. The amniotic sac is a barrier between the vagina and the baby. Once that barrier is gone, the bacteria can move up into the uterus. It's also wise to minimize vaginal exams.

I'm not sure about hospitals, but my midwife treated GBS with one injection of antibiotics so that you weren't tied down to an IV. She had a hard time placing the needle with me, so I didn't get the antibiotics but my DD was born in the caul, so the midwife said she wasn't at risk for the GBS.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:05 PM

Here are a couple of articles I was reading recently:

PDF of article from Midwifery Today (link will download PDF)

And here's one from Mothering published a few years ago.

ETA: a search of the MT website will likely pull up a bunch of articles related to GBS too.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 PM

She can also try some wholistic treatments for GBS. Google "garlic suppositories." Garlic is a natural antibiotic and used as a suppository vaginally it is supposed to get rid of GBS. If I had tested positive on a previous pg, I'd do the suppository protocol (typically a week or two, depending on what you read) before the test, then every few days after that to keep GBS at bay. If I still tested positive (which I shouldn't), I'd look into using a Hibiclens wash during labor/ before delivery. Google "Hibiclens douche." Most OBs probably wouldn't be fans of it, but midwives & birth centers should be.

That said, even if she has GBS and goes the traditional antibiotics route, that's no reason to be confined to the bed.

--amy
DS1 is 5, DD is 3, DS2 is 2.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidercat View Post
She can also try some wholistic treatments for GBS. Google "garlic suppositories." Garlic is a natural antibiotic and used as a suppository vaginally it is supposed to get rid of GBS. If I had tested positive on a previous pg, I'd do the suppository protocol (typically a week or two, depending on what you read) before the test, then every few days after that to keep GBS at bay. If I still tested positive (which I shouldn't), I'd look into using a Hibiclens wash during labor/ before delivery. Google "Hibiclens douche." Most OBs probably wouldn't be fans of it, but midwives & birth centers should be.

That said, even if she has GBS and goes the traditional antibiotics route, that's no reason to be confined to the bed.
THANKS Cidercat...I had this exact question. I think when I get pregnant again I will try the garlic suppositories! It is very common for healthcare workers to be GBS+ and I had PROM and needed to be tied to the IV for days...I want to try to avoid it next time.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!

User Tag List