Unstable Lie & Prolapsed Cord? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-10-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some input/guidance. I'm 40w3d with my second baby. First baby was 10 lbs. 9 oz., born vaginally in a hospital with no complications (well, there was meconium, but no positioning issues). This baby they are predicting to also be large, but that doesn't concern me in the least. The problem is that she apparently has an "unstable lie." She was persistently frank breech until about 36-1/2 weeks, then flipped vertex after several Webster adjustments and acupuncture/moxibustion/pulsatilla. They found that she was head-down when I was checked into the hospital for a version attempt at 37-1/2 weeks. Apparently my mw suspected she had reverted to breech (head at 12/butt at 6) at my appointment last Thursday (39w5d), but didn't mention it to me. It was confirmed by u/s yesterday when I went in for a fluid level check.

To be perfectly honest, our intentions have been to stay home and have the baby unassisted, but after my conversation with the mw today I'm a little freaked out. I'm not scared to have a breech uc, but she said that an unstable lie is more likely to result in a prolapsed cord -- one of the few complications that really scares me since we live 30 minutes from the nearest hospital. I've tried googling for info, but don't see any statistics confirming her assertion RE unstable lie/prolapsed cord -- but I can sort of see the logic in it.

What are your experiences with an unstable lie? Do they generally resolve themselves and settle head- or butt-down at some point? Am I endangering my baby by still considering an uc? I'm sick over this. The last thing in the world I wanted for this birth was to be back in the hospital, but the harder I try to avoid it, the more roadblocks seem to pop up.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#2 of 2 Old 04-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only prolapsed cord I've ever seen was with an unstable lie, but the baby was an oblique breech (butt at 4 or 5 o'clock and head at 10 or 11 o'clock...I'm not sure of the proper term for this at the moment) when mom's water broke and the cord dropped through the babe's legs and out of the cervix when mom's water broke. That's the only reason why an unstable lie is more likely to result in prolapse: because it's more likely that there won't be anything engaged in the pelvis to stop the cord from coming out. Since your baby is 12 and 6 o'clock, it seems like if the baby stays that way, you're no more likely to have a prolapse than any other woman whose baby is breech.

ETA: I'm not sure I'd say that you have an unstable lie. You have a baby who likes to stay breech and who flipped head down with coercion, then flipped back to breech. Maybe technically that's unstable, but not like the mom I mentioned, who had a baby who was head down one day, then transverse the next, then head down oblique, then frank breech, and finally the oblique breech that she ended up with...

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page