midwives, herbal/cohosh question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-10-2003, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
greetings,
I know you can start a mom up with black and blue cohosh, I have used it to promote periods also, (myself, personally I mean)
I know it makes my uterus contract, or it feels like it does. I know it makes me bleed, I know it can make a pregnant mother contract.

So- after a mother has a baby, the uterus contractin helps her to stop bleeding...right?
but you wouldnt want to give her cohosh to help her contract after baby would you? or would you? Doesnt it promote bleeding?
turn the light on for me someone, I just cant see it but I feel like its right under my nose. Also, differences between the cohoshes? I use black usually, but both are used for labor promotion? and other uses?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-11-2003, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could use blue cohosh after birth. It doesn't promote bleeding, but promotes uterine contractions (which helps bring on your period), so it would be fine.

Shepherds Purse is an herb that is commonly used for women who are bleeding a bit much after birth.

Blue Cohosh coordinates uterine contractions, while black cohosh starts them. Using them together ensures contractions that are even and coordinated, thereby being more "effective".
#3 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

can you explain to me why uterine contractions bring on bleeding at some times,(like when you are missing a period) and at other times, they inhibit bleeding?(like after birth?)
#4 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 02:39 AM

Well... I'm not an expert on physiology. But, the answer, I think, is that "bleeding" means something different in each of these situations. In the first, pp hemorrhage, we're talking about an open wound from which blood is coming out. The action of the uterus works to staunch that flow -- kind of like how if you put pressure on a cut, it stops bleeding. In the other, menstruation, we're talking about the sloughing of the uterine lining which is not blood but contains blood. The action of the uterus does not cause you to bleed, per se, it only helps the separation and expulsion of the lining (which contains blood) from the uterus, just like it expells the baby during birth. Uh, right?
#5 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yep. damn, you're so smart, blueviolet! *mwah!*
#6 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

thankyou ladies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page