Is a green mucus plug cause for concern? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-22-2007, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I lost my mucus plug (I have no idea if it was the whole thing or not, but it was a LOT of mucus) on Friday morning (at 38 w 2 d). It was green or greenish-yellow and just a little blood-tinged. It looked exactly like what would come out of your nose when you have a cold.

I wasn't concerned about it at all. But when I was discussing it with some of my friends, they mentioned that they thought it was a sign of infection. Now I'm a little worried.

I have no other signs of any infections or problems. Is a green mucus plug within the range of normal?

--amy
DS1 is 5, DD is 3, DS2 is 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-23-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone??

I just got off the phone with my OB's nurse, who wants me to come in tomorrow for a culture "just in case."

That makes me nervous but until I hear someone say green is within normal limits I guess I'm going for the culture.

--amy
#3 of 10 Old 04-23-2007, 08:25 PM

are you sure it is a mucus plug and not just discharge? the only thing i have seen that is green discharge and infection... i am not saying that to scare you just to tell you what i have observed. most mucus plugs are blood tinged slime
#4 of 10 Old 04-23-2007, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Darn, I wish I'd taken a photo of it (which I was tempted to do but didn't for fear of freaking DH out with my level of interest!).

I am about as sure as I can be having never seen anyone else's mucus plug. It was HUGE and blood-tinged. By huge, I mean probably 1/3 of a cup. I mean, HUGE. And exactly like what you'd blow out of your nose when you have a bad cold.

--amy
#5 of 10 Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know sometimes prenatal vitamins can turn mucus yellowish or greenish.

ETA: But I'm not a birth professional; I just saw this in new posts. Sorry!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 10 Old 04-23-2007, 08:52 PM

I had that. I've heard of others who did as well. If you have absolutely no other symptoms of infection, I'd advise you not to worry.

Best wishes with your birth! Try to relax!
#7 of 10 Old 04-25-2007, 03:36 PM

I don't think that it would hurt to culture it. Green usually does mean infection in general with body mucouses however the pp's post was encouraging to know that it may be just fine. Have you had any UTIs or yeast infections?
#8 of 10 Old 04-25-2007, 03:52 PM

When you are having fertile quality cervical fluid, do you ever note that it is yellowish or greenish tinged?

This is true for me, and my one mucous plug that I lost and saw was greenish. Not like green runny nose, but more of a tinged.

Does that help?
#9 of 10 Old 04-25-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

I've never noticed any other greenish discharge (although now that I'm thinking about it, the discharge I've been having during pregnancy is a little yellowish).

Anyway, since I wasn't having any other signs of infection AND life is complicated being 39 weeks pregnant with a 21 month old, I decided not to rush in for a check. I'm going tomorrow to my regularly scheduled 39 week check-up and they'll do a culture then.

I'll let you know what the results are (assuming I don't have the baby before then *crosses fingers*).

--amy
#10 of 10 Old 04-26-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I just got back from my weekly visit. The OB that I saw today (who is the most NCB-friendly in the practice, very well-reasoned and doesn't get overly excited about silly details like losing mucus plugs or dilation/effacement when not you're not in labor) said that she wasn't concerned about a green mucus plug. She said it sounds like oxidized blood. She went on to explain how bruises turn all sorts of funky green colors, but that that's not an indication of infection, it's an indication of old blood (which makes perfect sense).

She also didn't want to do a culture because "there's always bacteria in the vagina so it wouldn't give us any meaningful information."

She said that uterine infections are serious and cause significant distress to both mom and baby. She said since I wasn't having fever, chills, foul odored discharge and since baby was moving tons she wasn't worried that I'd developed an infection.

--amy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page