Dreaming... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-12-2003, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm babbling a lot here. Please forgive me.

Ok... so I'm a programmer for a relatively small company. They bend over backwards for me and I love my coworkers. But... now that DS is here, I'm just not interested in the work. At all. So, I keep thinking of other ways to bring in money.

I loved my Bradley teacher. She helped me in so many ways. That would be a great thing to do.

I loved my doula! She was a lifesaver. But the hours aren't good for DS (8mo)... so I was thinking about a post partum doula. Outta curiosity, do other post partum doulas bring their own little ones to work with them? Is that bad?

And I'm pretty good at making cards. I stamp all my Christmas cards and my birth announcements and thank you cards... I was thinking I could sell them.

Then I just got a sewing machine. Not too great with it, but maybe I could make slings. I wear mine whenever I go out and people always ask me about it. I swear I should get a commision from Kissaluvs and MayaWrap. =) So maybe I should just sell my own...

How unrealistic is this? Anyone do some of these with babies of their own? This July is Bradley training and also DONA's conference in San Francisco (I live on the central coast of CA). Lots of money... scary jump. Very scary jump. Is it worth it?

~Melissa
#2 of 4 Old 06-12-2003, 09:52 AM

I have a degree in interior design and worked in wallpaper.

Then, kids... and now I'm a doula and breastfeeding counselor, and maybe someday a childbirth educator. I just didn't find wallpaper fufilling in the least after kids. If you feel a calling, follow your gut feeling!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#3 of 4 Old 06-13-2003, 10:39 PM

Follow your heart

That said, I would do some research, lots of reading, talk to some local doulas and childbirth educators before jumping in and spending all the money. Make sure you are truelly in love with doing it. Like you said, the hours can be varied. Child birth education is something you could do out of your own home. Remember you have lots of time, there will always be another training session. Just don't be hasty. That said, You CAN do it! It is possible. You could also do something with your crafty ways. Make a whole lot of stuff and sell at local craft fairs, not a steady income, but very flexible hours and extra income.

Goodluck!

If you need any help getting started on a doula path feel free to pm me. I am in the process (slowly-because I have two young ones and going to ttc another soon) but I am attending my first birth in August!

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#4 of 4 Old 06-19-2003, 02:16 PM

melissa-

I have a 3 mo. old, and have just started a (very) small business making traditional style baby carriers. I also do childcare for a friend a day or two a week, and I steam (like ironing) clothes for a small local import store twice a week. in sept. I will be taking my PP doula training.

my baby goes with me everywhere, has never been with anyone else. she will go with me when I make house calls as a doula too. I plan to be upfront about bringing her, and will not charge for any time taken to meet my baby's needs while I am on duty for someone else's family.

luckily she is sometimes content sitting and watching, like when I steam, b/c it is too hot for her to be in my arms. I envision that when she reaches toddler stage we might seperate for a few hours at a time, she can stay w/ grandma.

good luck with your choices!

-Lau

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page