Midwives, retired Midwives, students and students on hold..... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What is your status
Midwife in solo practice 15 15.00%
Midwife in a partnership practice 8 8.00%
Retired Midwife 2 2.00%
Student Midwife 32 32.00%
Student whose training has been interrupted or on hold 13 13.00%
I want to be a Midwife.... will train later 30 30.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 05-07-2007, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started studying with AAMI back in 1997... but it was interrupted by several moves, a couple babies, and hubby's health problems. I am back at it now, and have upgraded to the newest version of the curriculum, so it is almost like starting over. No apprenticeship plans at present... my youngest is just too little and she needs me. At least I won't have to worry about childcare when I do have an apprenticeship... my oldest turns 16 this month. Wow... where did the time go??????
#32 of 38 Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM

I've been in a solo practice for about 30 years and have been fortunate to have had several wonderful apprentices over the years. I do live in a small community, however and simply cannot apprentice all who would like to work with us. Maybe that will change, someday. The world needs all the midwives we can get!!
#33 of 38 Old 05-11-2007, 10:56 PM

I'm a student midwife, halfway through my second year (almost!) of a Bachelor's in Midwifery in Aotearoa/New Zealand. I am Canadian, and plan on returning there when I am finished to complete the IMPP process and become a registered midwife in my home province. I am determined to make my practice as diverse, woman-centered and home-birthed focused as possible 'within the system' because I strongly believe in free access for all.

Right now I am 19 weeks pregnant and planning on spending a year at home after this semester ends, doing some classes by correspondance before returning in 2008 w/ babe in tow to finish my final placement :

Oh, and I've caught 3 babies in the past couple weeks!

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#34 of 38 Old 05-12-2007, 11:52 PM

I'm an associate midwives in a partnership practice. I've been practising for 2 years and am opening a new, smaller practice in the fall (then I get to be a partner ). We are funded publicly here and regulated as well.
#35 of 38 Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I consider myself a student midwife and I do a lot of self-study, but I'm not officially one yet. I am working on my bachelor's degrees in Women's Studies and English and I hope to go to grad school in 2009 to be a CNM. I'm applying to graduate-entry programs that don't require a BSN, as nursing school is not practical at this point in my life and I don't want to do four years of nursing school PLUS a year or two of working PLUS three years of CNM school before I can catch babies.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#36 of 38 Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM

I am "on hold". I apprenticed for one year with my local midwife and then did a three month intership in Texas. I've been to about 150 births and caught 56 babies. I've been on hold for four years now while I had two more kids. I am thinking of getting back in the game soon.
#37 of 38 Old 05-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
student mw in WA state, taking the path less traveled, spent 2 years studying with a mw turned educator, trying to balance birthwork with raising my 4 children. Wanting to do the PIP/NARM model, have my paperwork now need to find an apprentice. I am needing some advice on how to approach and ask such mw to take me on? Any words of wisdom from those of you who have done this? I feel confident in my book knowledge just need to start the hands on...(or off!) work.
#38 of 38 Old 05-15-2007, 03:38 PM

I said midwife in solo practice, but I'm "semi-retired". Only going to a few births a year since my son was born.

Retired Ohio midwife. Mama to my boy E, born 7/05

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page