I'm thinking about teaching childbirth ed.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-18-2003, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
focusing on Ina May Gaskin's ideas of how our emotions greatly affect the course of our labors.
I'd like to base the class around the idea of "lightening up!" The importance of relaxed, positive thoughts and words, relaxed and open mouth and throat, humor, and not treating childbirth like some scary disease or something. I would obviously teach other important things, like optimal positions, the stages of labor, interventions, relaxation, and that sort of thing, but focusing on how to keep ourselves open and positive through each stage and phase, and how to help the woman's partner help her to do this. I was thinking about e-mailing Ina May and asking her permission to use "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" as our book to read in class.
What do you all think? I am not keen on focusing on only one method, as I feel that different things work for different people, kwim?
#2 of 4 Old 06-18-2003, 12:06 PM

That sounds great! I love Ina May's new book and it would be a great focal point for childbirth class...
#3 of 4 Old 06-18-2003, 04:34 PM

That sounds great! It's a fantastic book!

I've been debating how to get started teaching as well. I didn't care for any one method in particular, either. I think I've decided to go with ALACE (Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators) which is a home-study course based on the midwifery model and started by Rahima Baldwin. If you want some kind of "certification" that may be a way to get it and not have to compromise. You can teach whatever and however you wish - unlike some other methods.

Not that you asked of course!

Good luck!
#4 of 4 Old 06-18-2003, 11:20 PM

I think it sounds wonderful. I don't think you have to contact her - I teach somewhat a Birthing From Within-type class and I definitely didn't need to ask Pam England for permission!

Go with your heart - you'll get feedback from the parents and it will help shape the class to exactly what is needed.

Yahoo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page