Different types of midwives?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-19-2003, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

Can someone please explain the different types or levels of "certification" for midwives? I've heard of nurse midwives, certified nurse midwives and a few others I think that don't have the word "certified" in them. Is the main difference in them their approach to childbirth, level of education, level of experience or what? Also, I have heard that the laws governing midwifery are different depending on the state you're in. Is this true (I'm in Minnesota if anyone knows specifics for my state)?

I noticed that a nurse midwife is all my insurance seems to support which doesn't matter to me either way. I'm not pg now but researching for the future. I'd like to be as informed as possible when the time comes!

Thanks,
Phoebe

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#2 of 3 Old 06-19-2003, 05:03 PM

In Minnesota, midwifery is legal. Midwives in MN are required by law to be licensed, which means they can either be CNMs (certified nurse-midwives) or CPMs (certified professional midwives).

CNMs are hospital-trained midwives. They typically have received their RN, then went on to attain another degree specifically in midwifery. Training is done in the hospital, under the supervision of physicians. There are many CNMs that have trained with homebirth midwives to attend homebirths. These are the minority, however, since most CNMs attend only hospital births.

CPMs are homebirth midwives that have attained education through schools and/or apprenticeship. Some CPMs go through formal education and then go through an apprenticeship, while others self-study during their apprenticeship. They receive the CPM title only after attending a certain number of births, showing acquired skills, and by taking a written exam. The CPM certification is recognized nationally and is used for licensure in many states. (Thereby creating a midwife that is a CPM and a LM - licensed midwife)

DEMs are homebirth midwives that do not have specific certification, but range in education and training. These are varying.

Here's more good info: http://www.mana.org/definitions.html

Hope that isn't too confusing.
#3 of 3 Old 06-19-2003, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, not too confusing at all. I totally got it. Thanks for the info. You have been alot of help to me in my questions. Thanks!

Phoebe

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page