UPDATE--am I at risk for preterm labor right now? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-04-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't want to call my midwife's emergency number, and I was wondering if some of you could help me figure out the list of symptoms I have going on here. Some of this might be a little TMI. Here goes... in chronological order.

This is my 3rd pregnancy to go beyond the very-early-miscarriage state. I had a stillbirth/late miscarriage at 22 weeks in 1997 and had my daughter in 1998, 3 weeks late by their dates, right on time according to mine.

I'm 33 weeks right now. Active happy baby, good heartbeat and size every time the mw has checked (I'm having a pretty low-tech pregnancy). I've had a lot of BH contractions in the last couple of months. A few weeks ago I started having some REAL contractions every once in a while--I know the difference, and these were the intense, can't-catch-your-breath kind--but never more than one a day or less. On one occasion I had three in a row. On the mw's advice, I went to bed, drank fluids, and everything seemed fine.

These last couple of days I've felt distinctly weird. More specifically, I feel exactly as I did before I went into labor with Charlotte. Here's what's happened:

-My appetite has gone from huge to very picky. I can barely eat. This is common in pre-labor for me.

-My stomach has been "clearing itself out," if you know what I mean. From pregnancy-constipated I've gone to... quite the opposite.

-I'm extremely emotional, and threatened to divorce my DH last night.

-I had a rush of energy yesterday that resulted in my going to the supermarket at 10pm in a rainstorm. Also, I ran yesterday (at the supermarket--in the rain). I have multiple sclerosis and impaired mobility--I usually can't run. Yesterday evening I could.

-I woke up several times in the night with "aching." Not contractions per se... backaches and lower ab pain. I dreamed all night that I had my period and wanted a heating pad.

-Newest symptom? Just lost a peice of my mucous plug.

-No "serious" contractions yet today, but the general sense of "achiness" has continued.

Thoughts? Should I call the mw? Start thinking about what to do in the event that I need to go in to the hospital? How seriously premature is a 33 week baby? DH is at work and I'm freaking out a bit...
#2 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 03:22 AM

hmm can't believe there are no responses so far! I hope you are feeling OK now. I'm not a professional but I would probably call and check in with the mws if I was having all those symptoms. They might be able to suggest something to make it better and I am certain they would like to know what's going on. Take care!
#3 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 03:25 AM

I hope everything is okay. I would also call.
#4 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 03:55 AM

In your situation I would also call. Most of what you describe does not worry me but the dreaming of the pain, and the mucus plug aren't great signs at 33w - plus, if you don't feel right, that's not good.

Any chance you could have a urinary tract infection? Those really can cause pre-term type of activity.

Hope you are doing ok!

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#5 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup, I would definately call the mw. And certainly, if you're concerned about something as potentially serious as a 33 week preemie, USE THE EMERGENCY NUMBER! That's what they provide one for. Personally, I'd rather know sooner rather than later that a client of mine might be at risk for preterm labor. And yes, the mucous plug is an important "sign"

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#6 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 09:13 PM

How are you feeling today? I've been thinking about you.
#7 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks BSD!

I'm on bed rest and feel like utter crap. I think I had a touch of an abdominal flu, and I seriously feel like it's been gearing my body up for labor. I want to keep this little one in for at least another three weeks, so I think "modified bed rest" is going to be the way to go. My mw is coming tomorrow for a checkup and she's going to check for any infections, etc.

So, I lie here willing the baby to stay in... get ready for a few weeks of misanthropic posts.
#8 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 09:36 PM

I hope everything is going ok. STAY PUT BABY!

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#9 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 09:42 PM

So sorry you're on bedrest. One year ago I was in the same situation and held my baby in till 37 wks. Hope you have some good help and good reading.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#10 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive&pimiento View Post
So sorry you're on bedrest. One year ago I was in the same situation and held my baby in till 37 wks. Hope you have some good help and good reading.
I'm glad to hear you were in the same situation and still had a homebirth... that's heartneing.
#11 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 PM

Ouch, that sucks. Stay put, baby!
#12 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 PM

Forgot to add-
33 weeks is not so premature as far as lung development goes. It is right on the borderline of when they think the baby is developed enough not to need the steroid shot for improving breathing. I'm sending you all the baby stay in vibes I can.

#13 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

My mw will deliver at home past 35 weeks if nothing else seems to be wrong, so really I just need another week-and-a-half... The problem is that I can't seem to stay in bed, I'm really restless.
#14 of 22 Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 AM

Maybe time to start a flame war in TAO to keep you busy on the computer?
#15 of 22 Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 AM

Certainly there has to be something interesting that can keep you in bed!

#16 of 22 Old 06-06-2007, 07:44 AM

Hi There,

just wanted to say I feel for you...I had been on modified bedrest for a few weeks and just got off of it. Can your MW give you a fetal fibronectin test? If that's negative, it may be reassuring, and then if it's positive it's good to know too ... I had never heard of it but it tells you (to some extent) your risk of going into PTL the next few weeks. Mine tested negative for the 3rd time and I finally got off bedrest when I was 34 weeks, yay! Now I am 35 weeks...My DS was born at 35/36 weeks so they have just been very conservative with me and I have a lot of contractions (oh yes ,and I lost a chunk of my plug too), I timed them Monday and averaged 3/hour. But I think that is just how I am preggers...

Anyhow I wish you luck...stay in there little one at least a few more weeks!
(((hugs)))
Maura
#17 of 22 Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 AM

Hugs mama! Bedrest sucks, but you can do it! I had serious PTL with my 2nd pg - starting at 18 wks. I was on bedrest from 20 wks to 35 wks. Then again with my 4th pg from 30 wks to 36 wks. Watch movies, read books, knit, etc. Oh how I wish I had had MDC during those long months! It's so worth it to keep that baby in to term. Best wishes and hang in there! Stay baby stay!
#18 of 22 Old 06-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, if you're concerned it's infection of one type or another, what are you doing to bolster your immune system? Taking garlic, drinking green tea (great to help prevent/treat UTI's), taking probiotics, etc? I'd also be practicing deep relaxation and "talking" to your cervix and your baby and telling them both that it would be better for all involved to stay put.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#19 of 22 Old 06-06-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
So, if you're concerned it's infection of one type or another, what are you doing to bolster your immune system? Taking garlic, drinking green tea (great to help prevent/treat UTI's), taking probiotics, etc? I'd also be practicing deep relaxation and "talking" to your cervix and your baby and telling them both that it would be better for all involved to stay put.
I have multiple sclerosis--boosting my immune system is actually a really bad idea. Unfortunately.

But as it turns out (MW visit today) we don't think it's an infection, just more of a "take it easy" situation--modified bedrest for the next couple of weeks. I'm a little less freaked out after talking to her, she did seem to think there was a risk of preterm labor but since the contractions haven't gotten regular at any point that we can probably keep the baby in.
#20 of 22 Old 06-06-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individuation View Post
I have multiple sclerosis--boosting my immune system is actually a really bad idea. Unfortunately.

Dr Klenner cured MS with C. He believed it was a vitamin deficiency disease.

Stay put baby!! Rest well mamma
#21 of 22 Old 06-06-2007, 04:08 PM

Stay put baby! My midwife would have attended my birth at 35 weeks as well. I thought I was going to go into labor at 35 weeks but it turned out I was just dehydrated and overdid it that day. Don't forget to drink plenty of fluids!
#22 of 22 Old 06-14-2007, 12:39 AM

bump
Just wondering how your doing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page