Can you define anterior/posterior cervix for me? (Xposted in Unassisted childbirth) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-06-2007, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I'd post this here as well:

I've done a few cervical self-checks mostly out of curiosity about dilation/effacement. The cervix seems to be pointing almost horizontally toward my spine. I keep reading of others who talk about anterior or posterior cervixes. Can anyone enlighten me as to what these mean? and does the cervix eventually point downward as birth nears or is it at the point of complete effacement?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-07-2007, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
when the cervical os is pointing toward your spine that is a posterior cervix- when the cervical os is pointing toward your vaginal opening it is called anterior
--you can be effaced and still have a posterior cervix-
usually when you are in labor or nearing labor the cervix will move anterior

the cervix is completely effaced when it is very thin like a sheet of paper this can happen any time before or during labor--
when you are completely dilated the cervical os will no longer be in front of the babies bottom/head

here is a link to a video-- the only trouble with this video is that shows dilation and effacement at the same time- and it doesn't always happen that way- sometimes women can be effaced long before birth or dilation-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xath6kOf0NE
#3 of 3 Old 07-07-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you. I love the video, especially where the baby comes flying out at the end! Actually, it's nice to be able to visualize the process.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page