midwife birth and prenatal bags? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-07-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am shopping for a new bag, as I am quickly outgrowing the bag that I am currently using.

Would you mind sharing what kind of bag you use for either your prenatal bag or birth bag? :

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#2 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 09:49 AM

I have a small bag that is on wheels for my doula stuff, and for prenatals I don't bring a whole lot with me. I bring a binder with files and paperwork and then sometimes I bring my birth ball.

When I first started out I had a huge bag, but as I went along with my doula career I really scaled down a lot and the bag I carry now is half the size of what I started out with.

Anyhow, I bought my bag really cheap at Walmart (found it on sale).
#3 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Right now I use a big backpack, but that is a bad idea. Everything is always hard to find, bumping around in there, the risk of damaging stuff is high, and it is just poorly organized.

I need to find a better system. One of my preceptors has a bag that I really like, but she actually doesn't like it at all and she always tells me of another midwife who has a bag she likes even more. I think I need to look at all these bags! The thing that I really like about my preceptor's bag is that she has a small, seperate prenatal bag that fits right into the birth bag, so it is all together for births, but is easy to take out exactly what she needs for prenatals. I think her bag is something similar to this:
http://www.joann.com/joann/shop/shop...SKUID=sku10345

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#4 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 01:22 PM

Duh, sorry I should read more carefully. I thought it said "doula bag and prenatal bag". Sorry!!!!
#5 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

that's ok! I still appreciate your input!

Homebirth midwife
#6 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for prenatals I am carrying an insulated lunch bag that resemble a picnick basket handle on top and 2 main compartments with zippers on and small pouches on side-- files fit in on top and are held by small netting bits-the next prenatal bag I get I want a messenger bag, or maybe a dad-gear diaper bag- for birth bags at the moment I am also using an insulated lunch bag with an arm strap pouches all around on the outside and and upper and lower compartment main compartments and a couple of sewn waterproof grocery bags with dowels for handles. inside one of the shopping bags I will pack one ziploc or smaller bag that has the ASAP birth supplies-
midwives I work with carry lugguage the ones I work with all the time each carry middle sized soft sided bags with oval zippers and a few extra pockets one on each end and front - I think they all come with wheels(and personally I hate the wheels- almost completely useless,just added weight) for a birth bag- and some smaller nylon extra bags- for prenatal bag one carries just a big one opening bag (we have to carry scales) and the other gal has a brief case she uses for a prenatal bag-- now mind you all of us have seperate holders for needles, meds, and herbs that fit inside bags
another gal I assist in town sometimes- she has had many many bags, probably gets new ones every year. right now her bags are luggage bags she carries 2 luggage bags- except that she has nylon bags that are filled with different items and put inside the bigger space- one of her apprentices embroidered titles on the smaller bags- like baby, or IV or suture or instruments - and a bag that also has ASAP supplies
I don't have pic of her minipouches but here is a link to the luggage similar to what she carries
(http://www.luggage.com/High-Sierra-AT202-UV1027.html)
her prenatal bag is one big carpet bag -- she also has a post partum baby bag
#7 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 03:44 PM

I have an EMT bag that has a main compartment in the middle and dividers to separate all my supplies like doppler, gel, etc. My instrument kit, IV kit, lab kit, and suture kit are in trays with lids and they are set in around the dividers and fit perfectly. There are two large pockets on the outside for more things like stethoscopes, bp cuffs, flashlights, etc. One pocket in the front holds batteries and pocket homeopathy, herb, and Varney's guides.

My other bag is a small rolling suitcase I bought from Target that holds the IV bags, blankets, heating pads, and resuscitation equipment. Two bags for everything and I can carry it all myself easily.
#8 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 03:59 PM

I have a smallish but brightly colored carry-on on wheels that has LOTS of pockets. It's easy to get in and out of the car, in and out of the elevator, etc, and still easy to find my stuff.

I keep my homeopathy in a smaller bag inside, as well as my aromatherapy. The carryon has mesh pockets in the INSIDE where I can keep small stuff like straws, hair ties, etc, and larger pockets on the outside where I can keep other larger things that I don't use as often, and some that I DO, like a flashlight, fetoscope, FOOD to munch, etc.

Works for me. Small enough to fit inocuously in my car, large enough to carry what I need, the right color that it doesn't get mixed up with other people's bags.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#9 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 03:59 PM

the reason I carry many bags instead of one or 2 is so I can easily carry each bag- the one that goes in first is always the bag that has the ASAP supplies- for me lifting large bags in and out all the time add up to wear and tear on my arms/wrists- and midwifery alone is hard on those parts-- I have had 2 different breaks in my right wrist so I am very careful- just means more trips back and forth.
#10 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 05:18 PM

Lennon, you know intimately what I carry, but I thought it would be fun to add to this list. Bags, like forms, for me are constantly changing. I'm always looking for the "perfect" system.

I started out with a scrapbook rolling case, one with little loops under the top lid that I carried all my homeopathics in. Then, it was stolen (please remember to get a rider for your birth supplies on your homeowners or renters insurance!!!! Your auto insurance will NOT cover this loss unless it is specifically added to it!)

Then after that, I moved on to a rolling suitcase. Ok, but I didn't like lying the whole thing down on the floor to open it up. It also seemed like it lacked space while still being heavy - and I missed those little side pouches for all the little stuff.

Then I got this nice big bag - it was super deep, super big. (and I love lime!!) But when it was full, it was HEAVY. and I missed the rollers! Carrying things on my shoulders was hard.

Then I went back to the rolling suitcase -

Then I broke down and bought another scrapbooking case... I like the rolling mechanism, the pouches all on the outside (see thru makes it easy for my apprentice to find things that I always put back in a different spot!) and the ability to close the lid while having some things right in side (the bag valve mask, hemorrhage pouch, etc). I like to carry smaller boxes and pouches inside for various things - I use rectangular plastic boxes from Storables for my stuff like sterile barriers, amnihooks, deLee, extended cuff steriles, sutures, etc. Things I don't want to get bent or beat up. I use one side of the case for gauze (4x4 sterile) and gloves. I have all my IV equipment in a nice big makeup case (two IV bags, IV start kids, catheters of various sizes), my homeopathic kit comes in it's own roll case. My tinctures are in a nylon bag.

I have a nice prenatal bag - it holds both BP cuffs, a stethoscope, my baby bag (a mens' shaving bag - has my scale, sling, neonatal stethoscope, lancets, oral vitamin k), two fetoscopes, blood draw supplies, gloves, lube, my doppler and my gel.

The prenatal bag has an attachment (like a huge belt loop) on the back that the handle of my birth rolling case slides through - so when I'm going to a birth, the prenatal bag fits and stays on top of the birth case while I'm rolling it.

I also bring my O2 tank (sometimes, I'm still not really convinced I need it at births, though I like to have it in the car at least in case a mama loses alot of blood) and my birth stool. Usually I can get it all by myself, but I am happy when parnters offer help out.
#11 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 06:59 PM

:
#12 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 07:02 PM

I have the same Crop in Style 2XL that pama uses. I've used it for nearly eight years. I have a smaller scrapbook bag that I used when I did homevisit prenatal care, just for homevisits.
#13 of 23 Old 07-10-2007, 01:07 AM

i have a vintage train case for a prenatal bag and then two separate smaller zippered totes one for essentials and the other for incidentals you could say lol and they all three fit into a large tote that has pockets outside that i use for gloves and little samples i give like lanolin and milk tinctures and extra pads incase mom has forgotten to buy some and whatnot. I got the bags on ebay really cheap and I love them, they have lips though i'd like the cherries they have now better lol, the little ones are like this http://cgi.ebay.com/KISSING-LIPS-TOT...QQcmdZViewItem
#14 of 23 Old 07-10-2007, 01:30 AM

This is a great thread, I am always looking for new ways of doing things. I find that I am always digging around looking for things during a birth. Even though I have all my baby stuff in one pocket, instruments in another, etc. I tried putting stuff in ziploc bags, then tupperware, still didn't seem to help me. I tried a medical type bag, but I tend to just throw things in so that didn't work.

What i have now is this: I bought a cheap but very nice bag at Bass store (fishing and tackle). I love going through there looking at all their containers. I also have a large Creative memories bag that is on wheels, it is one large pocket in the middle which holds all my big stuff. Then I have a bag which usually stays in my car with IV bags, cath supplies, o2 supplies and extra chux, pads, etc. That stuff takes up so much room, I leave it in until I need it.

What does everyone put their tinctures in? I am having a hard time finding a plastic container tall enough to fit them, I carry around 15 or so?

Anyone want to share photos of their organization, that would be great! I will try to take some tomorrow if I don't have a birth, I'm waiting on a few people right now, i really should be in bed!
#15 of 23 Old 07-10-2007, 01:40 AM

Just wanted to add, I didn't even see all the links in pamamidwife's post, thanks for the storables link, they have some cool stuff.

Does anyone label all their pockets? See, maybe it's just me, but i put everything in there all nice and neat in little pockets, then forgot which is which is dig around.

I got these plastic thingies (the technical term) at Basshttp://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_37107_100011010_100000000_100011000_100-11-10I really like them to store my little things, I can just flip through and it keeps them all together. (someone help me figure out how to link, I don't have my teenager around to do it for me, how embarrassing!)
#16 of 23 Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi315 View Post
What does everyone put their tinctures in? I am having a hard time finding a plastic container tall enough to fit them, I carry around 15 or so?
The scrapbooking tote that I showed in my link, bottles of tincture will fit in the elastic loops meant for pens and scissors and such.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#17 of 23 Old 07-15-2007, 02:29 PM

Barb, what kind of thing do you get from the Bass shop? I couldn't use the full address you put out so went there and looked through the tackle boxes and I was guessing you are using something that is like zippered pouches that go into a folder -- but maybe you meant a box instead... my friend who apprenticed in Texas in the 80's carried a tackle box that had all the smaller stuff in the top compartments and big stuff like IV bags in the bottom--- so what is it you use from there?
------
and Lennon let us know what you end up getting and using
#18 of 23 Old 07-15-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
and Lennon let us know what you end up getting and using
Well, I am going to try my sewing skills at making this carpet bag, for my prenatal bag, which needs to be carried around with my everywhere. I just ordered the pattern and am excited to go pick out some nice fabric for it. I am thinking about improvising on the interior and making some compartment areas inside to help keep things more organized in there.

I'll try to remember to post a picture when I am done! (It may take a month or so to sew it given my crazy busy life...lol)

For a larger birth bag, I am not sure yet, but I am leaning very much to the large scrapbooking bags. We'll....see.

Homebirth midwife
#19 of 23 Old 07-15-2007, 10:20 PM

A client of mine bought me this as a gift for my prenatal/postpartum bag.
http://www.luggage.com/asp/show_deta...ZS1015_1369955

I LOVE this adjustable divider box. You can move the little dividers as needed. Perfect for midwifery! I keep blood draw supplies (tourniquet, bandaids, gauze, alcohol prep pads, etc) in the larger one which goes in my prenatal bag. I also have the smaller one for meds/homeopathics that I keep in my purse -- to avoid the extreme TX heat.
http://www.containerstore.com/browse...0&PRODID=60124

Then I have a "grab-and-go" bag, which is a simple little cafe-press-style tote from a midwifery conference. In it, I have a 1.5 quart tupperware container with all the basics that you might need for a birth. In fact, this box is usually all I use during most births. Well, other than the stuff from my prenatal bag for taking vitals.

I also have the crop-in-style for my extended birth kit. In it, I carry the things I might use, but can certainly live without if I don't have time to haul it in because she's already pushing. Heating pad, tupperware with my suturing kit, extras of all the basics, rice sock, comfort items, personal toiletries, pop-up trash cans for linens and trash, fracture pan, pump for the birth ball, straws, extra batteries in a variety of sizes, etc.
#20 of 23 Old 07-15-2007, 10:54 PM

I am using a large EMT-type bag from Iron Duck for my birth bag. It has enough room for most things, including O2. I carry my suction separately. I also carry a tackle box with meds, sharps, syringes, and my instruments (can be carried inside my home for freezing weather and is sturdy enough for me to sit on). I also have a nice Jansport backpack in lime green (love that colour too, Pam) for my prenatal bag with Mountain Equipment Co-op first aid bags in large and small for my stethescopes, doppler, bp cuff, etc and my odds and ends, respectively. It works for me. I had a rolling backpack suitcase but I like the EMT bag better.

Some people like shoes, I like a good bag!
#21 of 23 Old 07-18-2007, 12:40 AM

the plastic things I have are like a binder with plastic ziploc type baggies attached. It makes them easy to see, and I can keep supplies in each one. I'll look later to see what they are actually called, sorry about the link, i really need to get my teen to show me how to do that
#22 of 23 Old 07-18-2007, 06:33 PM

I have four bags in all.

Comfort measures bag that I use as a doula and as an apprentice:
It is a retired color, but similar to this color and the same style. It has six pockets on the inside and a big middle that fits my rebozo, oils, and essential oils.
http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Stor...ku=10326%3a41&

Prenatal and postpartum bag: Same as above but in java blue. I keep four zippered cases in the middle
with my fetascopes, BP cuff and infantscope in them. The pockets hold my watch, thermometer and baby scale. I LOVE this bag!

http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Stor...ku=10326%3a10&

My birth/midwifery bag with my gloves, intruments, 4X4's and tinctures are in a bag like this. It opens up and has little mesh pockets along the side that fit my tinctures in it perfectly. It has a mesh zip on the top that I put my gloves and stuff in, and then the other stuff lays flat. It is a retired color, but is sort of like this:

http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Stor...0&sku=315%3a60

And last but certainly not least, I carry my folders and calendar and such in this!: It is a different color (retired) but this style

http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Stor...0&sku=116%3a60

I bought ALL of my Vera Bradley on ebay. Great deals and they are gorgeous and will last a very long time. I LOVE them!!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#23 of 23 Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 PM

I have a carrying case that came with my remidies but some midwife friends that I sometimes work with use bullet cartridge containers for thier remidies...what a clever and much better use of those things.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page