Midwives and HMO's in Florida - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-02-2003, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies! Here's a heads up for all the MW's out there who might be willing to relocate: there is ONE, count 'em ONE, place to have a baby in Sarasota County: Sarasota Memorial Hospital. YUCK. It is so overcrowded there that they are starting to double up rooms, and they're doing all they can to move moms out of there as fast as possible--pitocin, C-sections, whatever they can. There used to be a birthing center here, but because of insurance and blah blah blah, it went under. Anyway, my conundrum is that I need a MW/CNMW that is somewhat local AND covered by my stupid HMO. Is there such an animal? I have found one midwife here, but she only provides home births, and I'm sure my HMO won't cover that!!! Ideally I'd like to find a nice birthing center. Any help??? :

THANK YOU ALL and have a beautiful day!
#2 of 23 Old 07-02-2003, 03:44 PM

Boy, that's weird. And Florida laws are SO mw-friendly, too! You'd think they'd be flocking here! There's certainly a demand, as well -- every middie in my town (Tallahassee) is as busy as they can stand to be, and hoping for new recruits. You know they hate to turn anyone away, because they know what they're sending those preggie moms to -- Intervention Hell.

Looking for that flock of middies coming over the border,

Pallas

edited to add: It sounds like you arent' aware of the FL law that requires insurance co's to cover midwifery. If they cover hospital birth, they MUST cover birthcenter and homebirth. They MUST cover your choice of practitioner. Their only choice is to refuse any maternity coverage at all to anyone, and you KNOW they're not going to do that. They'll send you a nasty little letter telling you they don't like it, but that's just too bad. thththbbbbt! Go kick ass.
#3 of 23 Old 07-02-2003, 03:46 PM

Isn't it FL state law that insurance must cover MW's? I seem to remember coming across that fact somewhere during my time online.

Unless your HMO clearly states that they do not cover HB's (you can find that out by looking over their list of covered services), you should be good to go. Hope your insurance woes resolve quickly. Good luck!

FWIW, because my HMO did NOT have any MW's that provided HB services (big surprise!) on their roster, I was able to tell them what MW I was going to hire to attend my birth. They HAD to pay her out the same as any of their contracted providers.
#4 of 23 Old 07-02-2003, 05:31 PM

I second (or third?) the information offered here. I had a homebirth in St. Pete in 2000 (having another one in Oct) and I called my HMO and let them know that since they had no HB midwife on their roster and I wanted a HB, they were going to have to include her on my plan. I got a little waiver sheet for my MD to sign off on and that was that.
Well, almost. The tight-fisted HMO wanted to weaze my midwife out of 2/3 of her fee. I wrote a big long letter to the appeals board on her behalf, telling them of all the wonderful care this person provided to me all on her own and was still providing (breastfeeding support) and that they should be so lucky to pay such a competent, low-risk provider. She got the money.

Anyway, I lived in Sarasota through my school years and I think it's sad a town with so much growth can't get it together to have maternity care/ birth centers of decent quality and quantity. I don't personally know the midwives down there, but I do know of a nice one here in St. Pete that drives down there for births. PM me if you need info.
#5 of 23 Old 07-02-2003, 10:57 PM

Yup, any insurance that covers maternity care in Florida HAS to by law cover a midwife. LMs in Florida are really good at getting paid, too! It may not cover a birth center if they have a birth center on their provider list, but it must cover midwifery care.
Go see the midwife you have found, and she will let you know if she can accept your insurance.
Good luck!
#6 of 23 Old 07-03-2003, 11:44 AM

i had my baby in january right here at home in naples and it was covered 100%...... not without a little fight though.
as soon as i was pregnant i called the hmo twice and they told me they would cover it all, but my mistake was not to get a written form saying that. after the birth they started refusing payment so i reported them to the state insurance company and they quickly mailed the check to my midwife!

so make this hmo aware of the law here and get everything in writing.....at the end youll get your homebirth and save yourself some time and annoyance with the customer service reps.
good luck!

Mamita to DD12 and DD9 :,
DS6: and wife to a warrior.
#7 of 23 Old 07-08-2003, 01:02 PM

I called a doc's office with midwives here in Vero Beach....and was told that homebirths are illegal in Indian River County?!?! Is this possible? Where the heck did I move to that doesn't allow homebirths??:

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#8 of 23 Old 07-08-2003, 01:14 PM

Vero Beach, Florida?????

Either they don't know what they're talking about, or they're lying.
Homebirth is legal everywhere in Florida.
#9 of 23 Old 07-08-2003, 02:38 PM

Yep, Vero Beach Florida. The woman on the phone said something about them maybe able to do it in St Lucie County or something. Seems really weird to me. Especially coming from San Francisco where homebirth is "cool"!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#10 of 23 Old 07-08-2003, 07:08 PM

http://www.happybirth-days.com/index.htm

Alanna Edelson does homebirths in Vero Beach, she's from Jenson Beach. If she can't do it, she may know someone else who is closer or more available.
#11 of 23 Old 07-08-2003, 08:43 PM

Thanks 7, I emailed her. Do you know someone with experience with her by chance?

#12 of 23 Old 07-09-2003, 12:26 AM

No, sorry.
I only met her once, because she came to the birth center where I apprentice for a CEU seminar. She graduated in the class a few years ahead of me. A senior midwife spoke highly of her skills and style though. I would be happy to ask around for ya!
#13 of 23 Old 07-09-2003, 08:55 PM

Ok, not only are there no female OB's who deliver in this town nor any private practice midwives who deliver at the hospital, but the Vero Beach Hospital as about a 60% c-section rate I have been told, one of the highest in the country!!

Holy smokes am I in for a ride if I am pregnant.

I'm really not sure if I'm brave enough for a homebirth and boy will I catch grief from my family.

So let me get this straight....if my insurance (military insurance if anyone has any experience with it) doesn't have any homebirth midwives on their roster, they have to pay the one I pick? They still aren't going to cover her whole fee though. Can anyone direct me to the legalese on this so I have my guns loaded when I call them tomorrow? THANKS!!!!

#14 of 23 Old 07-10-2003, 02:41 PM

I found all kinds of legal info for those in need of it in Florida.

Title XXXVII, Chapter 627.6406 Maternity care
(1) Any policy of health insurance that provides coverage for maternity care must also cover the services of certified nurse-midwives and midwives licensed pursuant to chapter 467, and the services of birth centers licensed under ss. 383.30-383.335.

(7)(a) This section does not require a mother who is a participant or beneficiary to:

1. Give birth in a hospital.

2. Stay in the hospital for a fixed period of time following the birth of her infant.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...06.HTM&Title=->2002->Ch0627->Section%206406

They HAVE to cover Licensed Midwives and CNM's, and homebirths.

HTH some more people out there!!!

BTW I found out that stat I quoted above seems to be grossly exaggerated, the rate is 30% overall according to the most recent report on all hospitals in the state. One in Miami though has a 40% rate!!

#15 of 23 Old 07-15-2003, 12:22 AM

let me assure you all, homebirth IS alive and well in St lucie and Indian River, vero, and the Treasure Coast,
Alana is a wonderful midwife and there are several others also, please contact me if you want info on them!!!
Also, the section rate in the FP hospital truly is on many a day, 60%, the average rate BEFORE ACOG in their esteemed wisdom<gag gag> made their VBAC statements last year was 38% I thjink so you can imagine what it is now, I would wager close to 50%
Im not sure about Vero but would wager they run close,
the Treasure Coast of Florida is not as progressive as many other areas but it has some wonderfully progressive and intuitive birth attendants, call me, I am in Fort Pierce!
#16 of 23 Old 07-15-2003, 09:15 AM

Marymom! Your pm box is full!!!! Tried to pm you for lots of midwife info!!

#17 of 23 Old 07-15-2003, 09:54 AM

Im sorry, I just cleared itout! or you can call me or email me, you have no idea how EXCITED I am at meeting another MOTHERING mom that lives near me and to have you be *pregnant* too? Well I hesitate on grounds of being wayyyy mushy, but Im very excited to talk to you sweetie Ive been posting on the mothering forums for years now and I had a near(almost) meet with someone last Thanksgiving in Atlanta while traveling but we missed each other so you <crossing fingers> will be my first encounter in real life;
my goodness Im rambling, anyways, its always wonderful to share childbirth info, Im also a childbirth educator with the Florida Outreach organization... peace out, talk with ya soon
mom@bellsouth.net
#18 of 23 Old 08-02-2003, 03:32 PM

Hi, I had my son at the West Coast birth Center in Sarasota 3-24-01, they have closed since, but my truly amazing midwife Heidi, is opening a birth center in Sarasota very very soon. I am going to the grand opening on Aug. 9 actually. I'm not sure when they are open for business, but I HIGHLY recommend her she is absolutely wonderful!! Her business name is Circle of Life Midwifery- And I beleive the Center will be called the rosemary house. E mail me if you have any other questions!! surfcostarica@netzero.com
#19 of 23 Old 08-06-2003, 12:38 AM

bandana!!! Waving hi to you from Bradenton! OMGoodness! I can't believe there is someone from here who is here! :LOL I know of a few midwives in the area, since I am part of a mommy group hosted by : SMH, of course. The one thing I will say for SMH is they have wonderful LC's. Too bad the anestesiologists are #$#$%&&#!@#$'s. No, I'm not harboring any resentment. lol

After the mommy group tomorrow, I will post a few names for ya. Maybe we'll have to meet soon.

Mermama -- that is so great about the birthing center! Do you know if she will be allowing VBACs? Please tell me yes -- please, please, please!!! :LOL Not that we're ttc for AT LEAST another 6 months, but it pays to plan ahead!
#20 of 23 Old 08-06-2003, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Once again, I must reiterate that I am SO THANKFUL I found this forum! Mermama and Cinnamonamon...NICE TO MEET YOU!!!!

I am so excited about the new birthing center opening here...hopefully it will be up and running when we get preggo, which will be within the next six months or so (KNOCKING ON WOOD)...anyway, thank you sisters for all the good feedback...if it weren't for you, I would still be believing I'd have virtually no choices.

Cinnamonamon, I'll PM you so we can talk more about SMH...I'm really curious. And we'll all have to get together when our bellies are round! OH, it is so nice to have like-minded people in this community!

Have a great day...
-Laura
#21 of 23 Old 08-06-2003, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cinnamonamon
Mermama -- that is so great about the birthing center! Do you know if she will be allowing VBACs? Please tell me yes -- please, please, please!!! :LOL Not that we're ttc for AT LEAST another 6 months, but it pays to plan ahead! [/B]
not Mermama, but yes Heidi does take VBACs

(and Hi from Sarasota!)

Joyfully- Laura
radically unschooling 3 awesome kids
#22 of 23 Old 08-11-2003, 11:52 PM

Hey !! I just figured I would put my 2 cents in about SMH- After my son was born at the birthing center, we had to take him to SMH and he was there for 4 days. He was VERY jaundice (his level went as high as 18) . So to say the least I was not really happy with my baby being in the hospital for 4 days, but Charlene the Lactation consultant was sooooo nice and she even managed to get me a free breast pump since I couldnt be there 24/7 to Bf. They only had one mommy overnite room and that was being used. They wanted to charge me $25 a nite for me to stay in an unoccupied room on another floor. Couldnt afford it, so we stayed w/ my father in-law in Sarasota. Anyway my Sis in-law had a baby there recently and it was very medical- of course. On another note, I went to see the RoseMary house, and it will be a great place to have a baby. Its an old two story house and its really cozy. I found the phone # if anyones interested. (941)504-4421 Heidi Shumacher-Dahlborg is the name of one of the midwives. She's great!!
#23 of 23 Old 08-12-2003, 12:36 AM

Yaaaaayyy!!

:LOL

Now to wait 6 more months, become fertile without weaning, & get ! :LOL

My dh thinks I'm & when I told him I had a surprise for him (Ian got his first ), he asked if I was . :LOL He sounded more than a little nervous! Silly man. :

It's starting to sound as if we have a regular mini Sarasota AP playgroup that should be forming, huh! Hmmmmm...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page