did she strip my membranes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-19-2007, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This was 10 years ago, but I just read another thread about this and it got me thinking. When I was pregnant with my first daughter 10 years ago, I had my last midwife's appointment before going into labor. She did a very painful VE... and then said that I might be uncomfortable for a while that day. Never specified if she did anything different from a regular vaginal exam. Well, not only was I very uncomfortable for the day, but I bled also. Had the baby a couple days later.

So, is it likely that she stripped my membranes without informing me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 PM

Well, I've never had it done, but I hear that when they do it it's a *much* more uncomfortable exam than usual. Especially if she told you to expect to be uncomfortable for awhile, that kind of sounds like what happened.

A little OT, but I plan on refusing VE's just so there's no opportunity for someone to do that w/o my consent.
#3 of 8 Old 07-19-2007, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

I too plan on refusing any future VE's now that I know better. It just dawned on me today that what I experienced was probably uninformed sweeping of the membranes. It's too late to be angry about, but it's another reason I would be much more vocal and probably homebirth if I ever have any more children.

Shell
#4 of 8 Old 07-20-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbell View Post
I too plan on refusing any future VE's now that I know better. It just dawned on me today that what I experienced was probably uninformed sweeping of the membranes. It's too late to be angry about, but it's another reason I would be much more vocal and probably homebirth if I ever have any more children.

Shell
Yes, I believe your membranes were stripped without your consent. Join the club : You might still be angry about it, even though it happened a long time ago. If I ever have another baby, nobody will be allowed anywhere near my vagina.
#5 of 8 Old 07-20-2007, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know it's a bit premature for a real "decision" on this, but, as an aspiring midwife, I plan to *only* do VE's when asked. I wish I could also do only home birth, but Ontario requires that I attend 5 hospital births per year. *pouts*

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)
#6 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erthe_mama View Post
I know it's a bit premature for a real "decision" on this, but, as an aspiring midwife, I plan to *only* do VE's when asked. I wish I could also do only home birth, but Ontario requires that I attend 5 hospital births per year. *pouts*

my midwives were all excellent about staying away from ve's unless asked by me. they also did everything possible to allow my homebirths to happen, even when my water broke 36+ hours before labour started.

if you want to only do homebirths, won't a percentage of those end up as transfers anyways? don't those count as hospital births?

to the OP - i'm horrified that someone could strip your membranes without asking or discussing it first.
#7 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbell View Post
This was 10 years ago, but I just read another thread about this and it got me thinking. When I was pregnant with my first daughter 10 years ago, I had my last midwife's appointment before going into labor. She did a very painful VE... and then said that I might be uncomfortable for a while that day. Never specified if she did anything different from a regular vaginal exam. Well, not only was I very uncomfortable for the day, but I bled also. Had the baby a couple days later.

So, is it likely that she stripped my membranes without informing me?
She might have, she might not have. I warn any woman who requests a late term VE that it might be uncomfortable and there may be bleeding and cramping to follow. Some women have exactly what I warned about and some women have none of it. If I am going to go further and strip the membranes per previous agreement and which I will only determine after I start the VE, she will be informed just as she will that it isn't possible for whatever reason.

I don't know how anyone can determine from reading your description that your membranes were stripped.
#8 of 8 Old 07-23-2007, 03:11 AM

I had mambranes stripped twice. Once by a doc without consent. I didn't even know what it was at the time. Second time by a CNM i was aware of what she was doing. She did it gently without much of a result. i went another week i think. Now my midwife only did an intial VE and then at 40 weeks. Nothing other then that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page