Tell me about being a postpartum doula - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 07-30-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a birth doula and a mw apprentice and a mom of 3. I am thinking about doing some postpartum doula work in the future. I was wondering if I could pick the brains of our postpartum doulas out here?

1.) What exactly is taught in a postpartum doula program? Any good books I could read on the subject?
2.) Is formal education really necessary?
3.) what do you charge?
4.) What services do you provide?
5.) Are you insured/bonded?
6.) Are any of you birth and postpartum doulas?

TIA!!

Jessica Siczkowycz

Student CPM with Birthspirit Holistic Midwifery Services

Labor Doula

Certified Placenta Encapsulator

Mommy to four amazing kiddos, married to the best husband ever

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 AM

1.) What exactly is taught in a postpartum doula program? Any good books I could read on the subject? I think this really varies with the certifying body just as labor doula work varies with the certifying body. As far as good books - if you are thinking about certifying I would start with the books that are on the certifying bodies website that you are interested in going with.
2.) Is formal education really necessary? Before about a month ago I would have said no, but now I am waivering in this a bit. I had the chance to work with another postpartum doula who was not certified about a month ago and to be honest seeing how little she knew shocked me. She is a mother to several children so I just assumed she really knew what was going on, but when seeing her in action it was quite apparent that she had no clue and I ended up interjecting several times. It was pretty sad and made me think that even though someone has children and has been there before she might still need training.
3.) what do you charge? As with doula work fees vary greatly by area. I charge $20 per hour, but know some in my area that go down to $15 and some as high as $25.
4.) What services do you provide?First and foremost I am there to mother the mother. I will help with the transition into becoming a settled family. I offer breastfeeding support, teach mom and baby care, assist with the care of the baby when mom is showering or sleeping, light housekeeping, sibling care/transition, might run errands (have never done this yet because no one has asked). I will also make sure that they are fed although I make sure everyone knows I am a horrible cook LOL. Honestly anything they want and need is negotiable.
5.) Are you insured/bonded? Yes, I am insured through CM&F
6.) Are any of you birth and postpartum doulas? I am a birth and postpartum doula. I also work as a massage therapist, childbirth educator and hypnotherapist.
#3 of 3 Old 07-30-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiplemomma78 View Post
I am a birth doula and a mw apprentice and a mom of 3. I am thinking about doing some postpartum doula work in the future. I was wondering if I could pick the brains of our postpartum doulas out here?

1.) What exactly is taught in a postpartum doula program? Any good books I could read on the subject?
2.) Is formal education really necessary?
3.) what do you charge?
4.) What services do you provide?
5.) Are you insured/bonded?
6.) Are any of you birth and postpartum doulas?

TIA!!
1. I took my training through DONA (www.dona.org) to learn about what they teach. They also have their recommended reading list there as well.
2. Yes. If we are going to be respected as the professionals that we are, education is very important, plus it keeps you up to date on all the latest research
3. average is $20 per hour
4. www.tendercaredoula.com describes my personal services
5. I do carry liability insurance
6. I do antepartum, postpartum doula work and I'm a lactation counselor

Hope this helps!

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page