Birth Arts International - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I came across this organization during a web search.
I found their curriculum/training, mission, philosophies very appealing.
But I have never heard them mentioned anywhere.
I have never met or heard of a Doula who trained with them.
I love that they have a distance learning option.
I love that their teachings are holistic.
My midwife is a master herbalist and had no suggestions for after pains.
Herbs for afterpains is part of their training!

So do any of you know anything about them?

Also if herbs are a part of any other doula organizations training let me know.

Me , married to , with one . I'm a birth doula. We believe in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 AM

I've not heard of Birth Arts. On one hand, certifying through a better known organization is helpful when you're starting as a doula - folks who go through DONA get more business because DONA is the first place most people look for doulas. That being said, I got all of my early clientele through other doulas' referrals, and it didn't matter if I trained with them or was in the same org as them. If this place has training and a mentality that you like, go for it. I also have heard good things about ALACE, but I don't know if they include herb stuff in their training. Really, once you establish your practice, I think professional affiliation is less important than local connections and reputation. Parents don't necessarily care if you're certified unless you're very new to doula work. The GOOD thing about a certifying org that is really well-known and active is that it offers a lot of opportunities for professional development: conferences, further certifications, etc. DONA has great conferences, as does CAPPA, and there's a lot of room to grow in both orgs.

I certified through CAPPA and it was fine; they're a pretty straightforward group that doesn't do herbal work, aromatherapy, or any kind of exam-type stuff. I'm comfortable with that. If you think you'd like to be more hands on as a doula, I would definitely find an org that will support that, because CAPPA/DONA have policies specifically prohibiting doing those things.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 PM

I trained with Birth Arts! I am almost done with my certification with them. I am also a DONA certified doula, and have taken some CAPPA trainings as well.
Herbs are not a part of most organizations trainings, which is one reason I went on to take the Birth Arts training in addition to my DONA traning. There was also extensive training on rebozo techniques. The training manual is fantastic and the student support is excellent as well. What other organization allows you to call the founder up in the middle of the night when you are at a difficult birth and need doula support?
There is a lot more "book work" involved with Birth Arts, the reading lists are all similiar, but the activities in the training manual are designed to really make you think and examine your ideals and biases.

If you organize a training in your area you get to attend for free. Thats a great way to get the training you need, and establish a network of doulas in your area. It's a fun time, too!
Valerie
Old 08-23-2007, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am currently training as a postpartum doula with Birth Arts. Their curriculum was more my style and I absolutely love it. PM me with any particulars, if you'd like!
Angie
Old 08-26-2007, 08:09 PM

I am training through Birth Arts distance learning program to be a birth doula. I really like Birth Arts approach towards their training programs - students look into their hearts and challenge their minds and perceptions of birth and labor support every step of the way. I love the fact that Birth Arts doula training is done in the Wise Woman Tradition. It is really eye-opening, it makes you realize that Mother Nature is our best teacher of all. Birth Arts instructors are incredible. They really put their hearts into "mothering" future doulas through personalized attention, support and mentoring. They integrated their extensive knowledge and experience in the fields of midwifery, childbirth education, doula work, massage, aromathrapy, herbalism and life and created very unique training programs.
Birth Arts do not have hidden fees, they don't require membership fees.
I HIGHLY recommend Birth Arts to all future doulas.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:28 AM

I just found a link to Birth Arts yesterday. I've really liked what I've read so far, for the same reasons already mentioned. Even though I am in my early stages, just gathering books to read, I am still thinking about who to train with. I'm glad I came across this thread, now I think I definitely should go with Birth Arts. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:36 PM

On-line or in-person training?

I am looking into completing my doula training through BAI and have the option of either going to a weekend class or doing it on-line. What's the biggest differences between these two options? Is there a benefit to one over the other? Will I receive a hard copy of the training manual if I choose to do the on-line class? Is there any other advice or wisdom that would be good for me to know before I make this decision? Thanks for your help!

User Tag List