Labor Halfway Progress and Now Non-productive Contractions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-29-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I so thank you for your help. I'm coaching my sister through the birth of her thrid child. She has been having contractions ranging in intensity from 3-5 since yesterday at 11:00am. She is doing natural childbirth with an OB in a hospital, so we are really trying to stay on top of things. She was dialated to 3 cm 50% effaced when we got to the hospital last night. In all that time contracting, she only progressed to 4cm and 60% effaced. Contractions are at most 5 minutes apart even now. They sent us home about an hour ago because we don't want to break her water to do anything artificial just yet. However, she is getting tired and can't sleep. We are walking and she is trying to rest in between times walking. We definitely don't want her to be exhausted by the time the baby is ready to come, and she is getting worn down. Is there anything we can do to get things moving besides walking, and she is way too sore for sex TMI. We so appreciate it.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 11 Old 08-29-2007, 07:24 PM

I think that you should take the opposite approach. It is hard to tell without being there, but it sounds like she had an episode of prodromal labor. Women having their 3rd babies can get a bit of dilation and effacement from prodromal labor. If you get her into a bathtub, maybe have her have a glass of wine or something else relaxing, and then tuck her in bed, I bet the contractions will space out quite a bit, maybe even stop entirely.

If it is real labor, she will probably get a little break and then things will start up again in full force in a few hours. If not, she might stop for days or even a week or more.

Benadryl also works very nicely for helping pregnant women to sleep. If she looks into the risks and benefits of using benedryl and feels like this is a good choice for her, she might be able to take a dose and get some sleep tonight. Not something you want to do every day, but it can be helpful once for knocking out prodromal labor and allowing for a break.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#3 of 11 Old 08-29-2007, 08:07 PM

I second a rest. Also, prodromal labor says mal positioning to me. Get the baby in a good position before encouraging labor.
#4 of 11 Old 08-29-2007, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

The baby's head is -2 station and she has been consistently leaking yellowish bloody mucus in rather large quantities - more than a mucus plug. That's our only concerns along with the being tired. Thanks for the suggestions. We are getting her from my house to hers to rest soon.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#5 of 11 Old 08-29-2007, 08:31 PM

If she can do it, maybe a warm soak in a tub might make her feel better and relax too.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#6 of 11 Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 PM

Try having her rest in a open knee-chest position. I find that doing this on a bed works best. From a hands and knees position, she drops her chest as low as she can to the bed and puts her bottom into the air. Knees should be wide, and she can settle her chest down onto a pillow or two and try to rest. After about half an hour in that position, she can roll to her side and try to rest some more.

I've seen it work wonders with a poorly positioned babe (including my own!)

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#7 of 11 Old 08-29-2007, 10:00 PM

With my last labor I was really having a hard time at about 6 cm and I had been in labor for a while but my membranes had ruptured and I did the antibiotics(totally personal choice btw) Anyways I had to lay very still on my left side for my MW to get the IV in and then it took about 15 monutes to be done with the bag of antibiotics.

My point is that I made myself relax and lay there and I even felt like sleeping after about 15 minutes. I did visualizations and deep breathing and after about 40 minutes of laying there relaxed I was up walking again since I had to pee and it went really fast after that.

I totally agree with relaxing and it may have to be a mental effort on her part to relax but if she can I think it will help at least to replenish her energy and a glass of wine or even a half of a glass is OK and will probably help if she is willing.
Good luck, its so exciting!!!
Angela
#8 of 11 Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
The baby's head is -2 station and she has been consistently leaking yellowish bloody mucus in rather large quantities - more than a mucus plug. That's our only concerns along with the being tired. Thanks for the suggestions. We are getting her from my house to hers to rest soon.
The -2 station is nothing to worry about. Totally normal for where she's at.

It is hard to comment on the mucus without seeing it, but I have had women who are having their second baby and beyond pass a lot of mucus during prodromal labor and then stop when they weren't laboring.

Good luck! I hope she gets some rest.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#9 of 11 Old 08-29-2007, 11:10 PM

I say sleep too!

With my first I had days of prodromal. It was miserable and I slept all day, through every break.

Hope baby's here soon!
#10 of 11 Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 PM

If she can get her hands on some ambien it will help her sleep. The MW's here use it a lot with prodromal labor.
#11 of 11 Old 09-01-2007, 02:47 AM

any update?

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page