Is there ANYTHING I can do for placenta previa? ADDED PIC of previa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-03-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 26 weeks along and had an u/s a week ago that showed the following:
1. total placenta previa
2. anterior placenta
3. transverse baby.

My midwife has advised that it is not appropriate for me to try to influence the baby out of the transverse position as long as I have the placenta previa. She said that the baby is "staying away" from the area of the previa, and will stay transverse for now for that reason.

I feel helpless! I joked that this seem to be the one thing that isn't solved by the solution, "drink more water!" So, is there ANYTHING that anyone knows of that I can do to move the placenta away from the cervix? At 17 weeks it was only low lying, so I was extremely disheartened to find a total previa at 25 weeks.

I figured if anyone knew of anyway to get the placenta to grow away from the cervix, it would be you folks.

Thank you!

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-04-2007, 06:17 AM

Am I the only one a bit baffled at how a 17 wk low lying placenta (which many if not most are at that stage) can turn into a total previa?! Since when do placentas migrate downwards?
#3 of 6 Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzariaJordan View Post
Am I the only one a bit baffled at how a 17 wk low lying placenta (which many if not most are at that stage) can turn into a total previa?! Since when do placentas migrate downwards?
Thank you! I am totally confused about this. How did this happen? But, there are pictures showing it. At 17 weeks, the u/s pic shows a placenta that is not touching the cervix. At 25 weeks, there is a pic of the placenta covering the entire front of the uterus, with the bottom edge of the placenta extending beyond the cervix. I'll see my midwife in person in two weeks (rather than speaking to her in between her appointments via phone), and I'll ask more about that then. Seriously, it doesn't sound right, but I don't really know enough to question it.

There is only one thing I can think of: the ultrasound person required that I come in with a full bladder, and then she had me empty it before she looked at the placenta. I know that previa is diagnosed with an empty bladder. It is possible that after holding my pee for a hour and a half, that my bladder did not empty completely, and so the reading of previa is inaccurate. This is crucial, obviously, because placenta previa will yield a required c-section if it continues to exist. I guess I could insist on another u/s with a pre-emptied bladder, but I really want to minimize the number of u/s I end up with.

Here is a pic of the previa: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...enn/previa.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 09-04-2007, 02:58 PM

Were these abdominal or vaginal ultrasounds? Vaginal ultrasounds are more accurate in diagnosing previa. I would think the most likely scenario is that one or the other was not accurate as to where the placenta was.

Having said that, the best thing to do is to try not to worry. More than 90% of previas will resolve by the end of the pregnancy. There is nothing you can do to make it move. I would probably check again in a month or so (not before 30 weeks at the earliest), and make sure I got a transvaginal ultrasound before I even thought about your chances of a c/section.
#5 of 6 Old 09-04-2007, 03:02 PM

To me, the transverse baby is not an issue at this time. I would probably suggest that you get a repeat vaginal u/s at 34 weeks if there is no bleeding happening.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#6 of 6 Old 09-04-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for this information. I will insist on a vaginal u/s in about two months for diagnosis before I accept that I must have a c/s due to previa.

The diagnosis was based on an abdominal one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page