Why do we call 1st time mothers "primips"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shouldn't it technically be nullips?

I'm a bit confused as I work through midwifery school. A nullipara is one who has not given birth to a term baby. A primipara is one who has given birth one time to a term baby. A multipara is one who has given birth more than once to a term baby.

By these definitions, it seems a misnomer that we call first time mothers "primips" so I figure I must be missing something.

Thoughts?
#2 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 07:59 PM

I was taught that "Primip" (primigravida) was a woman pregnant for the first time, and "nullip" (nullipara) a woman who has never been pregnant.
#3 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

So, we aren't shortening "primipara" into primip, but rather "primigravida" into primip? It does sound cuter than primig.

And, a nullipara, at least according to Oxhorn-foote, is a woman who has not yet delivered a baby at term (or viability). A nulligravida is one who has never been pregnant. Anyway, color me confused.
#4 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 PM

You're mostly right. Someone in their first pregnancy is nulliparous and a primigravida. It is not delivering a term infant that makes one a primipara but delivering after 24 weeks gestation (although this is changing with the everlower age of viability, so the definition does vary a little).
So women in their first pregnancies are nullips, but I guess they're called primips in anticipation of their birth but it isn't technically correct.
A nulligravida is a woman who has never been pregnant.
It is confusing terminology, something I had to review before most of my exams. I think GTPAL is a clearer way of providing an obstetrical history.

Mother to none, midwife to many .
#5 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, whew.

I'm just glad I've not looked the fool saying "primip" for all these first time mamas I've been observing at birth.
#6 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
So, we aren't shortening "primipara" into primip, but rather "primigravida" into primip? It does sound cuter than primig.

And, a nullipara, at least according to Oxhorn-foote, is a woman who has not yet delivered a baby at term (or viability). A nulligravida is one who has never been pregnant. Anyway, color me confused.

I guess we do.....hmm.

Stedman's medical dictionary defines "Primip" as a woman pregnant for the first time OR a woman who has given birth for the first time and nullip as a woman who has never given birth. Seems like we use nullip and primip interchangably, though, correctly or not.

Now I'm confused.....
#7 of 9 Old 09-08-2007, 02:01 AM

Shhhh! Stop confusing the rest of us

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#8 of 9 Old 09-08-2007, 02:19 AM

You can solve the whole dilemma by using Primie or Primey instead of primip. Just take the second P off .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#9 of 9 Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

That's cute! Primie!

Don't worry, I'll not start lobbying for proper latin usage.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page