"BAD" breastfeeding books? X-posted in breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 09-11-2007, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if there are any breastfeeding books or research out there that give any credit to the schedule-feeding philosophy? I have read many breastfeeding books and ALL of them encourage demand/cue-feeding.

The reason I ask is, I am a new childbirth educator and I have my first clients for private classes. The couple comes from a church that is big into the Ezzo philosophies. Her sister actually teaches "prep for parenting" (the babywise classes).

My client seems very committed to breastfeeding and hope to encourage her to keep an open mind about her baby's early days. I feel like, if I can tell her that NONE of the breastfeeding literature and research backs up Ezzo, she will have to really examine the rest of his teachings...

I don't want to say it, though, if it isn't true.

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-11-2007, 09:45 PM

Off the top of my head, Ezzo is the only one I could think of.

I did have a client who was a primip and was all about Ezzo -- til the baby was actually born. So hopefully that will be your experience too.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#3 of 10 Old 09-11-2007, 10:25 PM

The Baby Whisperer books aren't great with regards to breastfeeding info.

The What to Expect talks about weaning around six months.

I read once that even Peggy O'Mara's Natural Family Living had some breastfeeding info that wasn't great.

Those are what I remember off the top of my head.

#4 of 10 Old 09-11-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for those suggestions, I had forgotten about Baby Whisperer. From what I remember of reading it, Baby Whisperer is a *slightly* more palatable version of the same Babywise philosophy, so that makes sense that they would have similar info...

WTE recommends feeding your baby whenever it's hungry, but not "every 20 minutes"... my baby wasn't finished with the first side in 20 minutes!:
I still feel like this is "pro" demand-feeding more than schedule-feeding (when compared to babywise).

I have the Natural Family Living book... I'll check it out!
I just read the pertinent info (demand vs schedule feeding and milk supply sections) in this book and it seems to be pretty good info IMO. I didn't read the whole breastfeeding chapter, though.

Is there any research to back up schedule-feeding?

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)
#5 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 12:26 PM

What to Expect also says that you shouldn't nurse your baby to sleep. That they should learn to self-sooth. Good luck with educating your client!
#6 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 02:32 PM

I trained in a conservative religious area and many people would ask us about BabyWise. Although we all hated it (and I've actually READ the whole book..it's not as bad as it COULD be, depending on how you interpret it), we never said to anyone that we hated it or that it could kill your baby.

We would say, "you know, BW has some valid points about not putting your child before yourself or your marriage. That's not a healthy way to live your life. But it's been proven that for AT LEAST the first four months, babies need what they need when they need it. And grown-ups can put off their needs. When people are unwilling to meet their baby's needs when they need to, it is really damaging to the baby and it's selfish."

We'd also explain that nursing isn't designed to be on a schedule and that women who really follow the schedule strictly (when even the BW book doesn't suggest!) are universally setting themselves up for nursing problems.

And we'd finish with something like "you know, it's a great idea when you're expecting your first baby to look at all of the philosophies for parenting out there and to think about what how you're going to meet your baby's needs, but it's really impossible to know how you'll do it until the baby's HERE." And we'd suggest The Baby Book and some other more tame books to help them explore.

There are two differences, though: no one who came to us was already totally sold on it. They all wanted to know what we thought of it. And we were their "health care provider" for the pregnancy, so as midwives, we had more influence than most parents allow CBEs or doulas to have, unfortunately ;duck:

Good luck!!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#7 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

charmie981: thanks for that. I mentioned in the other x-posted thread that I actually took the "prep for parenting" course and have met Gary and Ann Marie Ezzo on several occasions. I don't agree with most of what he says, but it's good to hear how to approach someone with "good" information without blasting a particular philosophy.

#8 of 10 Old 09-14-2007, 05:20 PM

There are lots of books with idiotic opinions, but as far as I know, there is zero science behind Ezzo's recommendations, which I think originated in fear, disrespect, and a need for control.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#9 of 10 Old 09-15-2007, 11:09 PM

"we never said to anyone that we hated it or that it could kill your baby."

It might not kill your baby, but it could lead to depression (baby refusing to make eye contact, be held, no longer smiling) , toddler eating disorders, failure to thrive, and attachment issues. To my knowledge, all the FTT babies from Ezzo's teachings have made it to the doctor before getting to the point of no return.

If you look at www.ezzo.info there are some very compelling stories from parents who followed the plan properly and were rewarded with children with children with serious medical and/or emotional issues.

This is not a program to play around with. It is dangerous and misguided at best, uncaring and abusive at worst.

Telling the truth about Ezzo and his "method" is not slander or blasting to tell the truth. No one who knows anything about breastfeeding, bonding or attachment (as in the process of human attachment) supports any of his teaching.

He may be a nice man (which I highly doubt) but he is dead wrong.

If you can get her to look at these:
ezzo.info
http://www.awareparent.net/smf/index.php
http://www.angelfire.com/md2/moodyfa...sestudies.html
http://www.chewymom.com/?cat=5
http://www.tulipgirl.com/mt/archives..._babywise.html

she will get a true picture of the world of Gary Ezzo and those who have been there and come out of that..

Micky
#10 of 10 Old 11-07-2007, 12:52 PM

^^ Those are all great links. The main site in particular - all the testimonials are truly heartbreaking, but do leave you with some hope.

Herwitsend, I would emphasize one fact above all else: breastmilk digests faster than formula does, period. It's part of why it delivers the most effective nutrition to babies. So basing a schedule on a formula-fed baby's needs IS going to essentially be starving the breastfed baby.

There are plenty of other things to discuss, both practical and philosophical, about demand-feeding, but that one hard, clear fact would be a clear beginning of an answer as to why Ezzo and breastfeeding don't mix.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page