"birth rape" resources??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 10-11-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I met a mama today who is 6 weeks postpartum and really anguished over her birth. She opened up and shared her birth with me. I listened, validated, answered a couple questions. BUT the whole time I'm listening to the story unfold, "birth rape" kept going through my mind. It. was. awful. The words she used could have been used by a rape victim. *shudders*

I have not needed websites/resources before. Never crossed my mind. I've done some reading today online, but does anyone have any websites they recommend to their clients?

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-11-2007, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my midwife gave me the resources of someone who was running a traumatic birth workshop based upon birthing from within principles. it was really helpful. i took it at around 8 weeks postpartum.

if there are any birthing from within practitioners in your area, maybe one of them also offers the birth trauma workshop?

i also found a wonderful craniosacral therapist that specializes in trauma resolution. she worked on both dd and i and it helped to resolve a lot of the body memories that we both had.

you are very kind to offer this to your friend.
#3 of 8 Old 10-11-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
my midwife gave me the resources of someone who was running a traumatic birth workshop based upon birthing from within principles. it was really helpful. i took it at around 8 weeks postpartum.

if there are any birthing from within practitioners in your area, maybe one of them also offers the birth trauma workshop?

i also found a wonderful craniosacral therapist that specializes in trauma resolution. she worked on both dd and i and it helped to resolve a lot of the body memories that we both had.

you are very kind to offer this to your friend.
Great, great advice!

#4 of 8 Old 10-11-2007, 11:49 PM

In the vein of birth art, here is a site of post-cesarean art that I wish every OB could see. Even though you didn't say if the woman you met had a c-section, maybe something like this site would let her know she is not alone in the strength of her feelings.
#5 of 8 Old 10-12-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurturedbirth View Post
In the vein of birth art, here is a site of post-cesarean art that I wish every OB could see. Even though you didn't say if the woman you met had a c-section, maybe something like this site would let her know she is not alone in the strength of her feelings.
Wow, those are very powerful. It was kind of an obvious one, but I felt like I could relate to the first shower one.
#6 of 8 Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
I have not needed websites/resources before. Never crossed my mind. I've done some reading today online, but does anyone have any websites they recommend to their clients?
If your client fits the criteria for PTSD, help her to get help as soon as possible. http://www.birthtraumaassociation.or..._is_trauma.htm

Here is a place to start looking for a therapist or support group; http://www.postpartum.net/support-map.html

Having a birth experience that could be defined as a "birth rape" puts a woman at a high risk for PTSD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mother to Owen age 5 and baby Isla
#7 of 8 Old 10-12-2007, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you everyone for the ideas. Unfortunately in this country there are very few options available. Traumatic births aren't even recognized or dealt with. And there are no birthing from within options or support groups. Good grief, I'm only one of 5 doulas and CBEs in the whole country! BUT, you've given me an idea. I do know of one English speaking counselor who has taught childbirth classes in the past. Will contact her and see what she can do. Thank you so much!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#8 of 8 Old 10-12-2007, 04:45 AM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page