"birth rape" resources??? - Mothering Forums

 
Thread Tools
#1 of 8 Old 10-11-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
MamaRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FL transplanted in Asia
Posts: 4,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I met a mama today who is 6 weeks postpartum and really anguished over her birth. She opened up and shared her birth with me. I listened, validated, answered a couple questions. BUT the whole time I'm listening to the story unfold, "birth rape" kept going through my mind. It. was. awful. The words she used could have been used by a rape victim. *shudders*

I have not needed websites/resources before. Never crossed my mind. I've done some reading today online, but does anyone have any websites they recommend to their clients?

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

MamaRabbit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 8 Old 10-11-2007, 01:17 PM
 
runes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my midwife gave me the resources of someone who was running a traumatic birth workshop based upon birthing from within principles. it was really helpful. i took it at around 8 weeks postpartum.

if there are any birthing from within practitioners in your area, maybe one of them also offers the birth trauma workshop?

i also found a wonderful craniosacral therapist that specializes in trauma resolution. she worked on both dd and i and it helped to resolve a lot of the body memories that we both had.

you are very kind to offer this to your friend.
runes is offline  
#3 of 8 Old 10-11-2007, 02:02 PM
 
coobabysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
my midwife gave me the resources of someone who was running a traumatic birth workshop based upon birthing from within principles. it was really helpful. i took it at around 8 weeks postpartum.

if there are any birthing from within practitioners in your area, maybe one of them also offers the birth trauma workshop?

i also found a wonderful craniosacral therapist that specializes in trauma resolution. she worked on both dd and i and it helped to resolve a lot of the body memories that we both had.

you are very kind to offer this to your friend.
Great, great advice!
coobabysmom is offline  
 
#4 of 8 Old 10-11-2007, 11:49 PM
 
nurturedbirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the vein of birth art, here is a site of post-cesarean art that I wish every OB could see. Even though you didn't say if the woman you met had a c-section, maybe something like this site would let her know she is not alone in the strength of her feelings.
nurturedbirth is offline  
#5 of 8 Old 10-12-2007, 12:04 AM
 
phreedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurturedbirth View Post
In the vein of birth art, here is a site of post-cesarean art that I wish every OB could see. Even though you didn't say if the woman you met had a c-section, maybe something like this site would let her know she is not alone in the strength of her feelings.
Wow, those are very powerful. It was kind of an obvious one, but I felt like I could relate to the first shower one.
phreedom is offline  
#6 of 8 Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 AM
 
jennica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
I have not needed websites/resources before. Never crossed my mind. I've done some reading today online, but does anyone have any websites they recommend to their clients?
If your client fits the criteria for PTSD, help her to get help as soon as possible. http://www.birthtraumaassociation.or..._is_trauma.htm

Here is a place to start looking for a therapist or support group; http://www.postpartum.net/support-map.html

Having a birth experience that could be defined as a "birth rape" puts a woman at a high risk for PTSD.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mother to Owen age 5 and baby Isla
jennica is offline  
#7 of 8 Old 10-12-2007, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
 
MamaRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FL transplanted in Asia
Posts: 4,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you everyone for the ideas. Unfortunately in this country there are very few options available. Traumatic births aren't even recognized or dealt with. And there are no birthing from within options or support groups. Good grief, I'm only one of 5 doulas and CBEs in the whole country! BUT, you've given me an idea. I do know of one English speaking counselor who has taught childbirth classes in the past. Will contact her and see what she can do. Thank you so much!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

MamaRabbit is offline  
#8 of 8 Old 10-12-2007, 04:45 AM
 
JanetF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JanetF is offline  
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 16,996

20 members and 16,976 guests
Deborah , erikanorth , girlspn , lilyofjudah , lisak1234 , manyhatsmom , Mayachel , Mirzam , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , NaturallyKait , philomom , RollerCoasterMama , SchoolmarmDE , shantimama , Springshowers , StarJune , t2009 , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.