Online Midwifery Schools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I'm new to this particular forum but it seemed like the right place to post this. I have decided to study to become a midwife and I would like some advice on the best ways. Right now I am studying books on midwifery starting with "Heart and Hands" I live in Georgia so it doesn't look like I will be able to study as an apprentice until I move back to California. So in the meantime I was thinking of stuying at an online midwifery school. I was wondering if any of you have advice on which school or schools would be good. Any other advice you have would be great too. Thanks.

For a little background: I am a SAHM of my wonderful 9.5 month old boy and happily married to my supportive sweet man.
#2 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM

I am very interested in the replies here too.... thanks for posting this!!
I would like to add, are there any scholorship programs, and is so, what is the best way to apply/get them?

*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*
*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.Jasmine Rae Ojala*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*
  *¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*.*¨`*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*
#3 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 03:34 PM

I dont know about online courses - but there are tons of correspondence courses that you can do from home where the work is usually mailed back and forth. The courses will give you a list of recommended or required books as well as a specific set of instructions on how to proceed. Some of the programs require you to attend on site hands on workshops throughout the bookwork. The Michigan School of Traditional Midwifery has annual workshops and I think the Association of Texas Midwives correspondence course has a workshop at each section. You'll have to do some research to find the one that is the best fit for you. I think they all offer some kind of scholarship or grant and again you will have to do some checking to find out their requirements and if you qualify. With a quick search I found these ones to get you started.
http://traditionalmidwife.com
http://www.texasmidwives.com/education/index.asp
http://www.socalbirth.org/pathways/study.htm
#4 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 04:39 PM

Midwife to be is a good choice for some also. It helped me get started with what books I should be studying, though I ended up going with a self-guided approach to education. It's cheap, ($50 to get started, And I think $25 a unit) And she's in South Carolina, and offers weekend workshops so you can get some skills practice in even if you are not currently in an apprenticeship. That would be pretty close to you in Georgia, so maybe doable.

Good Luck!
Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#5 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 PM

i am doing woman craft midwifery program which Im really enjoying. it's two years long and each year is 10 months distance learning plus 2-3 weekend long workshops in massachusetts. www.womancraft.org
#6 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 AM

I'm going to the SC School of Midwifery via correspondence. It's only $100 to register and then $50/lesson after that. If you do 2 lessons a month, it'd take 3 years to finish. The lady who runs it is amazingly friendly. (http://www.scschoolofmidwifery.com)

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

#7 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 10:05 AM

I LOVE the Michigan School of Traditional Midwifery. It is the ONLY state licenced school in the world were you will get a state indorsed diploma in traditional midwifery. The corse is 2 years but as fast as you can do the work. Wonderful work shops, the one in August had so much information and I meet new people every year. The best thing is its affordable and they have payment planes. A great choice if you are really looking into schools.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

#8 of 11 Old 11-03-2007, 01:25 AM

I am an AAMI student, and I highly recommend it. It is a fantastic education! www.ancientartmidwifery.com

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#9 of 11 Old 11-03-2007, 02:39 PM

Since you mentioned Hearts and Hands, in the appendix (of the 4th ed) she has an extensive list of education options. In addition to the programs mentioned above, there are MEAC (accredited) distance courses, but they are very pricey. Several of them are working on getting Title IV funding. I personally am doing Midwife to Be. The cost is great and it gives me some structure in my studies. It's not my first choice, but I can't afford much else right now. I will probably look into more in depth courses when I finish this program. You can find more info at www.newlifehomebirth.com
#10 of 11 Old 11-07-2007, 09:41 PM

You may want to check out the National College of Midwifery at midwiferycollege.org.

Allyson - wife, mama, midwife
#11 of 11 Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 AM

Well to be licensed in the state of California, I have to attend a MEAC school basically.
CAM- Become a LM

After a lot of research, I've settled on either National College of Midwiffery or National Midwifery Instutute. I can't afford eith right now though :

"Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free, 'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page