Doula Training, have questions! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-02-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI! I just got my workshop package from ALACE! WOOT! I am beyond excited about it. I have a few questions for those of you who went through their workshops. Am I reading correctly that we practice vaginal exams on each other? in a crowed room? i am more than a little shy with "down there" and don't know how i can make myself comfortable with this. is it optional? did you do it? what was it like (as far as privacy goes)?

also, my info says i can attend up to 3 births prior to the workshop. but it didn't give any info as to what documentation i needed for it, and what role am i to actually take. i know i can't charge, not that i would anyway. my best friend is less than a month away from her due date and wants me to "be there" for her. any tips would be so appreciated.

i really do have a passion for labor and birth, i guess i am just nervous so thats why all the silly questions.
#2 of 6 Old 11-02-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelmomma View Post
HI! I just got my workshop package from ALACE! WOOT! I am beyond excited about it. I have a few questions for those of you who went through their workshops. Am I reading correctly that we practice vaginal exams on each other? in a crowed room? i am more than a little shy with "down there" and don't know how i can make myself comfortable with this. is it optional? did you do it? what was it like (as far as privacy goes)?

also, my info says i can attend up to 3 births prior to the workshop. but it didn't give any info as to what documentation i needed for it, and what role am i to actually take. i know i can't charge, not that i would anyway. my best friend is less than a month away from her due date and wants me to "be there" for her. any tips would be so appreciated.

i really do have a passion for labor and birth, i guess i am just nervous so thats why all the silly questions.

I just finished my trainig i August with ALACE. It is a fabulous program!!
You did read right there is a portion of the workshop where the participants are able to preform vaginal exams on eachother. You do ot have to participate if you don't want to. The exams are done i the worshop area with the lights lower and in a way that it is very private. If you opt out you have to leave the room.
I did not have a VE preformed on me, because I was pregat at the time (but would have done it). My friend voluntereed to let me do one o her. It was highly informative and done with great respect. If you are going to be workig with laboring woman I believe it is very important to have a hands on kowledge and understading and to be comfortable with "down there". As a doula you are likely to see alot of nudity.

As for going to births before training you can go to as may as you would like but only 3 will be able to be used towards the total of 6 needed for certification. I believe if you look through the trainig packet all the info for recordig birth is located there. A great way to prepare for your friends birth would be to read some of the books on the required reading list (the birth partner, Heart and Hands, etc.) and perhaps watch some birth videos.
#3 of 6 Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Hi

Your not alone in your nervousness about that part of the workshop. I had the same fears and apprehensions about it, but once I listened to the instructor (Susan) talk about how it's all done I felt much better. We are placed so only your partner can see you, so it's not like your on "view" Plus, we lay in a circle, with our heads all touching so it's very private. Plus we went into a room as a group, closed off the windows with drapes, and locked the doors. If anyone was uncomfortable they did NOT have to do it, but it was a wonderful experience. We all giggled and everyone felt the same, we are all human, and we are all women and it's natural to feel a little trepidation.

In the end I am so grateful that I did do it, as I learned alot about my own body in doing it, AND the next time I had my annual I was able to help my Dr. find her way around, and I felt more comfortable telling her when she was a little too rough, which I never would have done before.

All in all I just think it was awesome. I wish every woman I know would go through it, just for the knowledge about our bodies.

You will get all your paperwork in the back of the manual for the reviews you need to turn in for certification. Also if you think you can't charge until your certified, you should know that is not so. I know women who are in the process of being certified and they charge. It's still a service and if you are looking to run a business, your going to need to make it profitable right? I think your friend is lucky to have you!

Thanks!
#4 of 6 Old 11-02-2007, 08:27 PM

: to what everyone said.

Also, it's done towards the end of day 3... by that time, the women in the training with you will be like your sisters and your best friends. It didn't feel weird at all, and in fact most people said it was the best part of the workshop.

I just love ALACE. Both Susan and Therese are awesome.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#5 of 6 Old 11-03-2007, 11:54 AM

THerese was my teacher and I loved her!

As for the vaginal exams, I was pregnant and didn't participate. Anyone can sit them out without feeling any negative impact from it. Several non-pregnant women sat it out because they just didn't want to do it.

I have philosophical objections to the idea of vaginal exams in general and don't think doulas need to know how to do them. I can feel my own cervix anytime I want. I'd sit that part out regardless of pregnancy, personally.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#6 of 6 Old 11-03-2007, 07:39 PM

Hi! Are you going to the ALACE workshop in ABQ next weekend perchance? That's the one I'm headed to and SO EXCITED. I'm guessing not since you're asking about your friend being due in a month...but...Amarillo also ain't that far so I figured I would.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page