large blood clot in my vaginal canal - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-24-2007, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I gave birth few days ago and noticed that a large blood clot hanging, not able to pass, from my vaginal opening when I was straining to have a bowel movement. It looks like a bowel movement (similar size), but won't come out. Then, it went back in again once I stood up and moved around. My midwife tells me that it'll pass. I'm wondering if anyone had this experience and when this large blood clot passed. I placed my finger inside and grabbed it to see if I can pull it out. It's stuck and I could feel something being pulled from inside, so I didn't pull it. So, I have this huge blood clot inside my vaginal canal. When would it come out?
#2 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had something similar after my 3rd. Didn't know it was there, but felt strong cramping 1-2 wks after delivering and ended up passing a clot the size of a Twinkie. Usually you just leave it alone and it will pass on it's on. Only thing you have to worry about is if it's connected to a bit of placental tissue that hasn't passed and the only reason I mention that is because you said it felt like it was attached to something. I'd keep an eye on it and if you begin to have a fever, odor, anything along those lines, go in to see your doc.
#3 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 12:53 AM

I don't know why your mw doesn't just come on over (or have you come over) and use some forceps to pull the thing out for you. Probably not "necessary" but might make you feel better! You could just use some gauze and try to pull it out gently. It may be some placental membranes which are not a big deal, attached to a blood clot.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#4 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 AM

I think if I were in your place, I'd want someone who knows about these things to have a look. I would want to be really sure it was a blood clot and/or that I didn't need some help removing it.
#5 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
I think if I were in your place, I'd want someone who knows about these things to have a look. I would want to be really sure it was a blood clot and/or that I didn't need some help removing it.
Yeah, that.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#6 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingmom View Post
I gave birth few days ago and noticed that a large blood clot hanging, not able to pass, from my vaginal opening when I was straining to have a bowel movement. It looks like a bowel movement (similar size), but won't come out. Then, it went back in again once I stood up and moved around. My midwife tells me that it'll pass. I'm wondering if anyone had this experience and when this large blood clot passed. I placed my finger inside and grabbed it to see if I can pull it out. It's stuck and I could feel something being pulled from inside, so I didn't pull it. So, I have this huge blood clot inside my vaginal canal. When would it come out?
It may be a large hematoma, and you certainly would not want to be pulling on that. If it is, it will likely resolve by itself (It's like a huge blood blister), if it does not, it may need to be incised and drained.
If it is retained placental membranes, pulling on it could cause a uterine prolapse. I would ask your midwife to check it out ASAP.
#7 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 09:03 PM

i wouldn't mess with this. please seek professional advice.

#8 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 01:20 PM

it can also be a prolapsed cevix. have someone in the know check it out. it doesn't sound normal. if it is a clot that large it should come out so your body can continue to help your uterus clamp down and prevent bleeding.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page